If Crown wants to win.,,,,,,,

ohbaby

When I read this first statement I thought you were saying they should fold, not that your advice was Two Fold.

No, we don't want that....!

FACT: CAROLINA CROWN HAS DONE THE WHAT OTHERS COULD NEVER DO!!!

THE MEDIAN AGE OF CAROLINA CROWN IS STILL FAR BELOW THEIR LEADING RIVAL BD BUT STILL CAN HOLD THEIR OWN...

THE LEVEL OF EDUCATION THAT CROWN RECEIVES IS FAIRLY UNMATCHED AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED...

DRUM CORPS US MORE THAN JUST WINNING... THESE YOUNG PERFORMERS ARE STUDENTS RECEIVING AN EDUCATION!!!

CROWN NEEDS TO CHANGE VERY LITTLE!!!!

THE ONLY MAJOR CHANGE NEEDED IS MORE VIRGINIA BEACH PERFORMANCES....LOL

Dude, Crown's median age is the exact same as BD's.

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Aungst, and I LOVE Marc Sylvester, but if I am going to think of ways for Crown to take it to the next level, I am not sure they would give them much more than they already have.

Blue Stars had the staff they did this last year-some AMAZING designers, and didn't make finals.

Blue Knights also had amazing designers, and were good, but couldn't make a jump.

Now I realize they may get a different pool of members than some of the supposed "top corps," but if that doesn't work, I think the issue may not just be who is writing drill for Crown and who is writing drums.

Don't get me wrong, I love Crown, but having some big name doesn't guarantee a win.

Just my thoughts.

I think if Crown keeps on the path they are on, with the talent they get, and they develop a program, they WILL win in the near future.

The way I look at it, in most years they would have won with their 2012 show, it just wasn't what the judges wanted to reward this year.

This ####### talk about them needing to change everything because some caption might be weaker than others just makes no sense to me though.

Dude, Crown's median age is the exact same as BD's.

Not sure that is accurate... If I remember right Crown had around 30 brass age outs where as BD had around 12 brass age outs. I could be mistaken this is just what I remember off the top of my head. I think BD's average age of the hornline was around 18. (Those pesky 16 year olds bringing down the curve :-p)

Personally, I think a change in drill writer would be a decent move. And I really could see Sully stepping in there. I've explained why Leon May's drill has hurt them in more than just visual captions.

Sylvester takes risks, but not with the spread like May does. Sully uses the whole field, but I feel like at more appropriate times. And I just loved what he did with BK last year. Granted I didn't like the show. But I loved his drill design.

If they stick with Leon May they can still do it. But he can't write drill that you can't clean anymore. The whiplash sections had some impossible stuff.

• Like 1

Personally, I think a change in drill writer would be a decent move. And I really could see Sully stepping in there. I've explained why Leon May's drill has hurt them in more than just visual captions.

Sylvester takes risks, but not with the spread like May does. Sully uses the whole field, but I feel like at more appropriate times. And I just loved what he did with BK last year. Granted I didn't like the show. But I loved his drill design.

If they stick with Leon May they can still do it. But he can't write drill that you can't clean anymore. The whiplash sections had some impossible stuff.

Crown was cleaner on Finals night than Cadets were in '11. While some of the opening drill might have been a reach, I much prefer reaching than playing it safe.

As for Sully...I really wished he had stayed at BK. Good things were happening there. Crown's design team seems to have pretty good chemistry. Don't see a reason for a change.

• Like 3

Honestly - I didn't think Crown's drumline was bad. They were 6th behind some fantastic lines. No shame in that.

Yep.

And my two cents (worth a lot less):

I'm not sure drums had much at all to do with Crown losing to BD. Save your keystrokes, I understand how the scoring works. I'm just saying BD was that good, that proficient, that no corps was going to beat them without a program that had extra-special appeal. While Common Good was good, it was just too common. It took the intangible appeal of Angels & Demons to top BD in 2011. Common Good just wasn't the vehicle to win in 2012.

I realize the irony of what I'm saying. BD's programs lack (generally) lack that special appeal I'm referring to. Yet their programs are made dynamic by proficiency and artistry of the performance - visual and musical. I don't think Crown arrived there last summer. As good as it was, it wasn't the same level of artistry.

My opinion, anyway ...

HH

• Like 5

Crown was cleaner on Finals night than Cadets were in '11. While some of the opening drill might have been a reach, I much prefer reaching than playing it safe.

As for Sully...I really wished he had stayed at BK. Good things were happening there. Crown's design team seems to have pretty good chemistry. Don't see a reason for a change.

I don't really agree with this. If you are talking about visual that is. While I agree Crown might have had cleaner technique at some points of their show, it was not always the most consistent. IN fact, the really hard sections, some members completely broke down. Lower body and upper body technique was non existent. They were sacrificing technique to attempt to make the form.

Overall I believe that Cadets 2011 had cleaner drill and a more consistent marching technique throughout their program.

Edited to add that I also wish Sully stayed at BK.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 4

Yep.

And my two cents (worth a lot less):

I'm not sure drums had much at all to do with Crown losing to BD. Save your keystrokes, I understand how the scoring works. I'm just saying BD was that good, that proficient, that no corps was going to beat them without a program that had extra-special appeal. While Common Good was good, it was just too common. It took the intangible appeal of Angels & Demons to top BD in 2011. Common Good just wasn't the vehicle to win in 2012.

I realize the irony of what I'm saying. BD's programs lack (generally) lack that special appeal I'm referring to. Yet their programs are made dynamic by proficiency and artistry of the performance - visual and musical. I don't think Crown arrived there last summer. As good as it was, it wasn't the same level of artistry.

My opinion, anyway ...

HH

Random thoughts concerning Point I: There was something with the programming that just left me flat from an emotional level. I appreciated their brass and their attempt at difficult drill; however, I just thought that thoroughly connecting and displaying the theme of "For the Common Good" just wasn't there. I understand that the show was "if we all work together, we can achieve amazing things", but where were those things? Maybe it was the lack of contrast (color-wise, repetitive musical phrases) and poor guard staging in the show that kept me from fully enjoying and understanding that theme. What exactly did they overcome to achieve a superhuman level?

Point II: There's no denying that of all the corps (even my beloved Regiment), BD was on a level of performance that was head-and-shoulders above the rest. I have to say that their marching technique is superior to anything on the field today; it's just so fluid and effortless. While I still generally lack appreciation for their programming choices of late, this year's show was the refinement of what they've been trying to achieve since '08 and I finally understood what they were trying to achieve. Hopefully they'll go in a different direction starting next year.

They just made a big drum change last season. IMO, they should give some time to see if the current staff can get them where they want to be.

OTOH, you can make a pretty good argument that visual design has been a longstanding problem. I'd think it's at least worth some conversations with Sully - he takes risks, and sometimes they fail pretty spectacularly. But he definitely can create the kinds of vehicles that win DCI.