A question about sync rights

The rights issue gets more out of control each year that passes.

What can one do?

1. Associate yourself with a composer that has no idea what you are about and who absolutely loves what they hear (Crown - Bertrand Moren).

2. Use music in the public domain. Don't mix it with sound bites from television programs from the '60's.

3. Familiarize yourself with new composers who want to get exposure and whom are willing to allow what it take so to do so.

4. Write/arrange your own music.

Fair use usually allows for 4 bars for nothing.

The generally accecpted limit is 10%, but even that is up to interpratation and the whims of the copyright holder.

What can one do?

1. Associate yourself with a composer that has no idea what you are about and who absolutely loves what they hear (Crown - Bertrand Moren).

2. Use music in the public domain. Don't mix it with sound bites from television programs from the '60's.

3. Familiarize yourself with new composers who want to get exposure and whom are willing to allow what it take so to do so.

Yes on all counts. I do or am associated with all four answers. But, most of the time, getting permission is actually just a matter of doing the paperwork and following instructions, and getting started at a reasonable time. Most copyright holders are reasonable people and will actually work with you and thank you for following the rules.

• Like 1

What can one do?

Or one could simply do the paperwork in a timely manner, which in most cases is already happening. The issue here is the sync rights, which is DCI's problem. Perhaps there needs to be better infrastructure in place for DCI to get the paperwork started earlier? That being said, you can't blame the individual corps for doing the programs that they want to do regardless of what it will take to get sync rights. Those corps don't really see anything from the CD/DVD sales, and their priority is (and should be) the field show.

If there is an entity to put pressure on from people buying CDs and DVDs, its DCI, not corps designers and programmers.

• Like 1

The generally accecpted limit is 10%, but even that is up to interpretation and the whims of the copyright holder.

A composer of an hour-long symphony is unlikely to consider 6 minutes of the work to be "Fair Use."

Yes, Carmina Burana wasn't a good example.

I think DCI would have to at least try and do something, 15 minutes of silence on the DVD and/or 15 minutes less music on the CD wouldn't be a good selling point.

If "one day in a galaxy not so far away" two, three or four corps play music on the "do not touch with a barge pole list" then we have nearly an hour of silence... and so on.

I'm just curious what DCI would do in that situation.

I marched with someone that was with Fever in 07. I'm not sure which rights it was, but they didn't make the DVD, even if they were solidly in Finals.

I hear of this block on Carmina a lot on this forum. I am out of the music industry so forgive my ignorance with the following question. I could google this I suposed, but this is more fun...

Is this block new? I was in Shy Ryders in 1989 and Carmina was 80% of our show. And we were not the only corps that performed it that year. Limited Edition, as I recall, was one of the others. So, has this copyright issue come about some time after 1990? What's the story? And can I blame Obama? (just kidding) Or can I blame Hoppy? (kidding slightly less)

it was shortly after that it went on the no-no list. In fact the very next year I remember an indoor drumline in a local circuit getting busted halfway thru the season and having to create a whole new show