Classic Drum Corps Moments!

Cool thread, imo.

In the late 70's a terrific Racine Kilties DCI Corps came east and competed in a show in Lowell, Ma. Halfway thru their show the stadium grass water sprinklers came on... with big, heavy, rotating gushes of water suddenly being thrown at the Corps marchers in performance from every direction. There were gasps and laughter initially from the audience, but then the crowd quickly noticed the Corps never flinched even a little bit in their performance, They kept going in terrific poise, " undaunted " as their Corps motto ironically emphasizes. They were terrific that night and by the final closing number every person in the stadium was on their feet and cheering wildly.. both for their terrific show performance as well as their terrific poise and composure under the circumstances. I'm pretty sure there is a pic out there from the Corps in performance that night and one of the many sprinklers shown dozing heavy running water on them in performance.

http://www.racinekiltiealumni.org/4_1974_Kiltie_Photos.html

Scroll down to mid-page......

"We Winna Be Dauntit"

• Like 1

As a Crossmen Alum and fan, I think last year's (2012) semi-final performance was such a moment. The kids brought "it" and found themselves back in Finals for the first time since 2004!

• Like 2

This may only be a classic moment for me, but hey....classic is classic. I discovered Drum Corps in the summer of 1974...via record (LP) only...purchased 1972 and 1973 finals records...and subsequently 1974 records...listened to them incessantly...and loud...Subscribed to Drum Corps news,and marched in a Drum Corps style competitive high school marching band..Still never saw a corps live...Fell in love with Muchachos and 27th Lancers via records. Then in 1975...after much deliberation (pronounced arguing) with my parents, I joined the Philadephia Police Cadets. Our first competition was in New England (at least the first I remember). It was there I experienced the likes of Watkins Glen Squires, Blue Rock, Woodbridge Edison Saints, St. Francis Sancians, New London Surfers, Crossmen (after the merger), Bridgemen (before the bananas), Audobon Bon Bons (I can still picture that tall red headed girl playing contra), Garfield, and yes...27th Lancers and Muchachos...all of them for the first time live and in person. It was a classic drum corp memory that has been seared into my brain....and the feeling of being there live..after only hearing them on records...there was nothing like it then or after...

• Like 1

I marched Surf 03 04 05, Bloo 06 07 08, and Cadets 09.

In 2007 at the Centerville Show we were on retreat with the Cavies. (BD was at the show as well.)

We are generally shooting the bull in the contra line with Cavies and they are laughing about random junk while scores are being read.

"In 3rd place....The Cavaliers!"

Total silence. Besides me and my boys in Bloo snickering. I believe this was their first finish lower than 2nd since 1999. (I could be wrong there)

"In second place...The Blue Devils!"

Now total silence from me and my boys in Bloo.

"Uhhh...good job guys..." - Random Cavalier Contra

Good times.

• Like 3

In 2007 at the Centerville Show we were on retreat with the Cavies. (BD was at the show as well.)

We are generally shooting the bull in the contra line with Cavies and they are laughing about random junk while scores are being read.

Total silence. Besides me and my boys in Bloo snickering. I believe this was their first finish lower than 2nd since 1999. (I could be wrong there)

Good times.

These are the kinds of stories I like. :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Good times.

Very cool!

In 2009 the Glassmen volunteer bus crashed and the equipment truck was heavily damaged the same night. After the show that night the Colts hornline came by and played for us. For a wide-eyed drum corps rookie that was something else.

Also, this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpxBFoNB1_s

Playing Clowns for Art's family.