DCA Championships Hotel Rule - Equally Enforced?

The rule is that every DCA corps must stay in a hotel for DCA Weekend. With every big event like this held in a city, the hotel packages are an important part of the deal -- that's why you don't see DCA corps sprawled out in gyms like DCI touring corps. And we're old. lol.

But here is my question --

How come one DCA corps, and only one DCA corps, has been exempt from the hotel rule for the last decade? Why is one corps allowed to stay in schools and "not" incur the expense of staying at a hotel during DCA Championships weekend? Okay, that's one corps you never have to worry about getting in trouble with a hotel, fair enough -- but how is this fair to the rest of DCA? Wouldn't it make sense to let other drum corps stay in schools? It's cheaper, especially for corps that travel great distances. Why does every DCA corps but one have to stay in hotels?

Just wondering, do the rules ever apply to every DCA corps equally?

• Like 1

The rule is that every DCA corps must stay in a hotel for DCA Weekend. With every big event like this held in a city, the hotel packages are an important part of the deal -- that's why you don't see DCA corps sprawled out in gyms like DCI touring corps. And we're old. lol.

How come one DCA corps, and only one DCA corps, has been exempt from the hotel rule for the last decade? Why is one corps allowed to stay in schools and "not" incur the expense of staying at a hotel during DCA Championships weekend? Okay, that's one corps you never have to worry about getting in trouble with a hotel, fair enough -- but how is this fair to the rest of DCA? Wouldn't it make sense to let other drum corps stay in schools? It's cheaper, especially for corps that travel great distances. Why does every DCA corps but one have to stay in hotels?

From what I've gathered, the alumni and fans buy up the rooms the corps would have used. I don't see it as a complete advantage as I did prefer the hotel beds to an air mattress in a gym for 3 days (especially after being on the road overnight to get to Rochester).

From what I've gathered, the alumni and fans buy up the rooms the corps would have used. I don't see it as a complete advantage as I did prefer the hotel beds to an air mattress in a gym for 3 days (especially after being on the road overnight to get to Rochester).

I would argue it is a big competitive advantage, since you can get members into your corps at a significantly lower cost for your season, which would make it a lot easier to fill your corps.

It's hard to argue it is not a competitive advantage, when the one corps granted the exemption, Reading Buccaneers, has won all but one of the last 8 DCA Championships, or whatever the number is now.

But then again, maybe I'm just a troublemaker. Maybe we should all just stay quiet and toe the line and the activity withers. This is absurd.

Edited by drumlaw80

Did the agreements read that the corps members themselves had to fill all those rooms? If they could get alumni/staff/fans to fill it for them, then they won that game.

• Like 1

Did the agreements read that the corps members themselves had to fill all those rooms? If they could get alumni/staff/fans to fill it for them, then they won that game.

maybe DCA should tighten down the rule then,............because actually, those folks would likely be filling MORE hotel rooms which helps feed the entire machine,...........seriously, we are talking a couple hundred room nights, which is not chopped liver,............

I believe what the organization does is buy the rooms, then re-sell them to alumni and fans. Which means, rooms are still sold and people are happy at the Tourism deptartment

I would argue it is a big competitive advantage, since you can get members into your corps at a significantly lower cost for your season, which would make it a lot easier to fill your corps.

It's hard to argue it is not a competitive advantage, when the one corps granted the exemption, Reading Buccaneers, has won all but one of the last 8 DCA Championships, or whatever the number is now.

But then again, maybe I'm just a troublemaker. Maybe we should all just stay quiet and toe the line and the activity withers. This is absurd.

how is sleeping on a gym floor a competitive advantage? it's not a bed, nor is it better for your body?

and looking around at corps websites, the one with the largest corps member fees I believe stayed in a hotel.....and they didn't need a plane or 20 hour bus ride to get there. They seemed to do ok too.

I believe what the organization does is buy the rooms, then re-sell them to alumni and fans. Which means, rooms are still sold and people are happy at the Tourism deptartment

There are several corps doing this, not just one.

DCA rules require each corps to pay for X number of rooms. As long as those rooms are paid for, who cares what they do with the rooms? Lee's just complaining because he didn't think of it first.

• Like 7

Would someone please let the unwashed know which corps doesn't stay in a hotel?

how is sleeping on a gym floor a competitive advantage? it's not a bed, nor is it better for your body?

I think advantage Lee means is the 25-30K a corps is saving by not filling the rooms with the members,.............and then don't forget the same 25-30K that would be spent in addition to the overall bottom line already being realized by all of the alums/family/friends needing to stay somewhere...............30K is a lot of money to turn back to the members in the form of reduced fees,...........