Concentrating On the Top Product ($$$ Makers)

*sigh* wasn't talking about profit and loss in my OP. My point was lack of long term planning in ignoring the "low end" can lead to a big ### bite. IOW it happened with the US auto makers and since DCI apparently concentrates so much on top corps can it happen to them....

But... either my point is lost or other points are being made *shrug*

And please don't make me use Rambler/American Motors in any future posts..... would not be pretty... :shutup:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

People will continue to "buy" the best cars...because people are not stupid...

The "lesser" or "lower" cars need to be something special to get the buyer's attention. See: Jersey Surf 2012

DCI would LOVE to promote the hell out of the "lesser and lower" corps if they entertained like Surf did this past summer...it makes the overall product stronger.

Like a top 5 Director said to me: "everyone loves the smaller corps...but nobody wants to pay to see them"...

if they entertained the audience like Surf did, IMAGINE what could happen...

The "lesser" or "lower" cars need to be something special to get the buyer's attention. See: Jersey Surf 2012

DCI would LOVE to promote the hell out of the "lesser and lower" corps if they entertained like Surf did this past summer...it makes the overall product stronger.

Like a top 5 Director said to me: "everyone loves the smaller corps...but nobody wants to pay to see them"...

And yet, I have it on impeccable authority that a particular "high-up" (VERY high up) member of DCI personally accused Surf of insulting where the "higher-ups" of DCI are trying to take the activity.

I suspect your top-5 director poo-poos Surf financial draw not because Surf doesn't have a financial draw, but because Surf doesn't get in line and tow the company line that intellectualism is DCI's preferred path forward. And he hates it.

Surf's doing it THEIR way but, for that, it's not acceptable. What of the other corps? Blue Stars?

• Like 1

And yet, I have it on impeccable authority that a particular "high-up" (VERY high up) member of DCI personally accused Surf of insulting where the "higher-ups" of DCI are trying to take the activity.

I suspect your top-5 director poo-poos Surf financial draw not because Surf doesn't have a financial draw, but because Surf doesn't get in line and tow the company line that intellectualism is DCI's preferred path forward. And he hates it.

Surf's doing it THEIR way but, for that, it's not acceptable. What of the other corps? Blue Stars?

nope...the person I spoke with thought that what Surf did was great and that they got a raw deal from the judges...

and...there was no mention of their "financial draw", whatever that is...

this person simply was stating what is: at 10am on Thursday of Championship Week there is almost no one in the stadium watching...

Surf, to their credit, gave people a reason to show up early and watch them...

• Like 1

Provided they can afford them.... oh wait.. know some people who don't think about that and have no credit or broke now. Could be a nice tie in with cost of running a corps but nah....

But question reamins if DCI promotes the lower corps enough to help them survive..... (I don't know myself).

At least we're more on track..... :worthy:

I think what might be more apt is that Surf's show was intellectually vapid: they did a rehash of a popular corps' show and style from several decades ago for the express purpose of pandering to a specific demographic. I'm by no means saying that's a bad thing, but just as Blue Devils' show design might appeal to one specific demographic while alienating others, the same can be said about Surf last season. And just as Blue Devils' design team could likely disregard the displeasure of the certain demographic of fan who complains about their designs, Surf's team probably feels the same way. And such is drum corps: different corps with different styles that appeal to people in different ways. I love that we have corps like Surf who go for 100% entertainment, as well as corps like Devs who often have a "heavier" design.

...insulting where the "higher-ups" of DCI are trying to take the activity.

Oy.... would love to ask the details of what that magic (promised) land is supposed to be like.

wonder if the term "cookie cutter" would be used......

Exactly: lower corps need to improve in either design or performance to get attendance (if they build it fans will come, so to speak)

EXACTLY: each corps must bring something to the table, otherwise who cares? Every corps on the field contains young adults working really hard, so the "for the children" argument is invalid if a corps is not achieving on either a design, entertainment, or performance level. A bad design performed poorly will never find a broad audience, and therefor why would DCI work extra hard to promote it? A corps should at least achieve one of those three criteria if they expect to get recognition, broad support, and the finances that come.

I think what might be more apt is that Surf's show was intellectually vapid: they did a rehash of a popular corps' show and style from several decades ago for the express purpose of pandering to a specific demographic. I'm by no means saying that's a bad thing, but just as Blue Devils' show design might appeal to one specific demographic while alienating others, the same can be said about Surf last season. And just as Blue Devils' design team could likely disregard the displeasure of the certain demographic of fan who complains about their designs, Surf's team probably feels the same way. And such is drum corps: different corps with different styles that appeal to people in different ways. I love that we have corps like Surf who go for 100% entertainment, as well as corps like Devs who often have a "heavier" design.

While I'm sure Surf got a lot of great appreciation from newer fans, in the back of my mind I have a feeling that the Surf-Bridgemen connection with older fans is what generates a good portion of the positive vibes they received. I sat next to two folks around my age (late 50's) at West Chester who were attending their very first drum corps show ever. Going in I really thought they would find Surf the most entertaining corps of the evening...ended up their own faves were Crown and SCV, not even The Cadets. Their reaction to Surf was good, but not the WOW! that a lot of older fans were gushing (me included!). The husband seemed mystified by the reaction to Surf, so I explained to him the history of the Bridgemen and the connection to the show Surf was performing. He just did not have that personal drum corps history to make what they did all the more memorable.

Oy.... would love to ask the details of what that magic (promised) land is supposed to be like.

wonder if the term "cookie cutter" would be used......

Why would 'cookie cutter' be used? Look at the magic land of the top 5...about as different from each other as you could get.