More Licensing Issues

Not sure about the US, but here in Canada if you go to a dollar store you'll find colognes with descriptions like "if you like Drakar Noir you'll like _________" These "sounds like" or "inspired by" descriptions sound the same.

Edited by LincolnV

Not read the entire thread yet, but my 2c.

This is not an electronics issue. This is not a sampling issue. This is an issue of available repertoire. These rights issues can/will discourage the use of modern works that non-drum corps people would find relevant. This will make it harder and harder to grow an audience if it's not addressed.

Designing around it isn't in the best interests of the activity, and won't affect adoption/usage of electronics and sampling at all.

• Like 1

I'm not typically one for making predictions, but I wouldn't be shocked if this is something that only gets increasingly more challenging with time.

I think, give what I know about the history of rights requirements, that this is 100% accurate. I'm also, frankly, a little surprised it's taken this long for DCI to get caught up in the drama of all of this stuff. It's been a pretty big issue in WGI and BOA for quite awhile now, so I guess yea that it's taken this long for it to catch up to DCI

To me, design teams should be charged with vetting the proposed program through the entire process of obtaining rights to arrange, perform, sync, etc. a lot sooner,.........like,..........now!

Totally agree. I know that this stuff can take time (clearing rights), but why do designers have to relegate the design process to only 8 or so months in advance? I know that's not the current trend, but its likely the current trend is standard because that's what was required previously. Now that it's obviously a known issue, I wonder if there will be a push to change.

OR...

Is this really not a huge deal? Is this more of the exception than the rule, that will yield some years with several edits (like this year), and some years with not-so-many? Maybe a year like this will cause designers to at least program less pre-recorded samples from copyrighted material (i.e. pop song or movie quotes), and instead make homemade quotes that will pass the copyright hurdles. It's hard to say, and maybe our frustrations are getting the best of us and we're thinking too negative. This is an issuethat doesn't have an easy to implement solution, short of being ultra-conservative with show design. Obviously the vast majority of corps pick OK design elements, and maybe next year we'll have a better archive with fewer needs to edit.

In say the case of The Cadets, could they raise enough money to secure the rights? Not sure what that number would be, but trust me, it could be an option with not only the alumni, but DCI fans in general.

That would not be a great idea, IMO. Like all businesses, this is supply/demand: a group willing to pay a lot for rights would be an affirmation that rights holders can charge a lot for outside groups to use their product. If everyone pays the same, then generally the rates will stay manageable for most stuff. If corps go rogue, it's extremely possible that rights holders will see that as a signal that they should raise their prices for everything, leaving everyone screwed longterm.

I would be really interested to know, for the sheer curiosity, what DCI has to pay annually for rights clearances. I suspect DCI would not divulge that information (and I wouldn't blame them), but what was hinted at in an email from DCI published in this thread hints at a pretty large number. It makes business sense that there is a ceiling when obtaining rights doesn't yield a high enough profit margin to make it financially worth it. I wonder if we're talking thousands of dollars, tens of thousands of dollars, or what that DCI has to pay. I assume they have deals with many of the big publishing companies, and get a nice "bulk discount," so to speak (it's in the rights holders' best interests to keep the price affordable or they won't make money either).

There are bands at BOA right now playing Rihanna, Radiohead, Jim Croce, Beatles ...

True, but:

A) we don't know the specifics on any of the behind-the-scenes stuff with those bands (unless someone on here on staff with one of those groups cares to elaborate)

B) there are FAR more BOA organizations than DCI organizations. That would logically mean that there are deeper pockets that can afford higher premiums

C) it's possible those groups didn't obtain sync rights and won't be on the archival products. I don't know BOA's policy with that stuff

Hard to speculate (or jump to conclusions about a situation)