Drum Corps Injuries

I get the feeling that, of all athletic activities out there, drum corps probably has one of the highest proportions of injuries that go untreated and/or heal improperly... Why go to the hospital when you could be marching? :thumbup:

Here is a report from a PR parent:

Xxxx is back at XX studying Trumpet Performance and started having trouble with numbness in her lip. This is very concerning for a trumpet major. After dental appts and then oral surgeon it was discovered that she broke her jaw! She then remembered falling the week before Allentown! I think she may go down in history as the most injured DCI member in history- 2009 broken leg, 2 fractures in pelvis, 2010 we suspect she may have broken a foot, 2011 she only marched part of the season and 2012 a broken jaw.......

• Like 1

Here is a report from a PR parent:

Xxxx is back at XX studying Trumpet Performance and started having trouble with numbness in her lip. This is very concerning for a trumpet major. After dental appts and then oral surgeon it was discovered that she broke her jaw! She then remembered falling the week before Allentown! I think she may go down in history as the most injured DCI member in history- 2009 broken leg, 2 fractures in pelvis, 2010 we suspect she may have broken a foot, 2011 she only marched part of the season and 2012 a broken jaw.......

Wow. The worst I got was tendonitis in my knee and a bloody lip. (After a 360 gone wrong.) I hope she gets full sensation back in her lip.

Edited by year1buick

First summer - I pulled a hip flexor and it made it pretty painful to even walk. just kept it "easy" for a few days and stretch and ice. Rolled an ankle or something, just pushed through that one.

Second summer - Thought i was getting turf toe probably ended being up a pulled muscle in the arch of my foot. We had a trainer who taped my foot up for the next week each morning and i used a tennis ball to roll it out each night. During finals week, my knee began to hurt but tour was over so it was no worries.

After the first time i pulled my hip flexor i realized that as long as i'm marching, something is going to be hurting me and just pushed through it.

Shin splints, hip flexor, back,

achilles was a huge issue for me. not being in shape really hurt me. Had to take it easy my second year in spring training, or drag my foot around. It got better as I got in better shape and once I started taking care of it. But it was to the point once where I couldn't walk or do anything without severe pain. Wrapped it up for the rest of spring training and whenever it would bother me on tour.

The hip flexor I just pushed through it my first season. I was struggling during spring training, didn't want to let people down.

During my marching years I had an inflamed left shoulder tendon the would pinch under my collarbone most of the time I held up my horn; it hurt like h*** but I got used to it. I finally had my shoulder checked and x-rayed after the '82 tour and the doctor asked what I was doing to have such an injury; when I demonstrated how & what he looked at me like 0_0 . There was really no cure except rest, so the pain would die down a little during marcging band season (the horn was lighter) but then pick back up again as soon as camps hit. This cycle repeated itself right through my age out year.

In Valley Fever '82 I knocked out most of my front tooth, exposing nerves and cutting my lip really really bad while going to parade rest during rehearsal before Whitewater '82 Prelims. The staff tried to keep me from going on but I would have none of it; I was angry beyond comprehension and did okay for about half of Shostakovich's 5th (our opener) before my lip opened up again and I began to bleed everywhere but continued to play. It hurt to inhale due to the exposed nerves and I bled so much, blood was coming out the bell during our concert number and dripping off during horn manuals. I tried to stem the bleeding by mopping up the blood using the back of my WHITE gloves and gauntlets when facing backfield, which made for an interesting uniform addition since it was all smeared. I distinctly remember a girl wearing an Americanos jacket sitting in the front row looking at me during concert and saying to her buddy, "OMG, look at that PSYCHO!!" After the show as we exited the stadium two staff members grabbed me (still in uniform), stuffed me into a rental car and drove me to a dentist they had found in the Yellow Pages who had agreed to work on "some emergency case" on a Sunday. Good times.

Edited by TRacer

Aside from traditional injuries like knee/ankle/shoulder injuries (of which I witnessed no shortage of, many incredibly severe yet people marched anyway), sickness is also really common on tour. When I marched several people got some sort of eye infections (including several cases of pink eye), bronchitis and pneumonia(many times), mono, and of course general sickness.

Additionally, I've seen/heard of people marching on or eventually going home because of: hernias, groin injuries (all kinds), infected toes/ingrown toenails, foot fungus, etc...

Seen several cases of severe sunburn (blisters, pus, etc...) - this happened to me once - rehearsing in the hot sun with blisters on your skin is not fun at all.

I consider myself pretty lucky, during my two summers the worst I experienced was a rolled ankle, the aforementioned severe sunburn, and two torn up knees from eating it on a concrete parking lot field. Because I kept rehearsing, marching, and doing choreography on tour, the lacerations took forever to heal, and would rip back open every day (lots of blood and pus). For shows I had to wrap an incredible amount of gauze and sports tape on them, but the sweat would usually cause it to slip off. For that reason I couldn't wear anything over them during hot rehearsal days...gnats and flies really liked that...

Yeah. Drum corps is a very easy way to get injured or sick. One guy I marched with had to go to the hospital at least once on tour for three straight years of marching (for three separate injuries).

During my marching years I had an inflamed left shoulder tendon the would pinch under my collarbone most of the time I held up my horn; it hurt like h*** but I got used to it. I finally had my shoulder checked and x-rayed after the '82 tour and the doctor asked what I was doing to have such an injury; when I demonstrated how & what he looked at me like 0_0 . There was really no cure except rest, so the pain would die down a little during marcging band season (the horn was lighter) but then pick back up again as soon as camps hit. This cycle repeated itself right through my age out year.

In Valley Fever '82 I knocked out most of my front tooth, exposing nerves and cutting my lip really really bad while going to parade rest during rehearsal before Whitewater '82 Prelims. The staff tried to keep me from going on but I would have none of it; I was angry beyond comprehension and did okay for about half of Shostakovich's 5th (our opener) before my lip opened up again and I began to bleed everywhere but continued to play. It hurt to inhale due to the exposed nerves and I bled so much, blood was coming out the bell during our concert number and dripping off during horn manuals. I tried to stem the bleeding by mopping up the blood using the back of my WHITE gloves and gauntlets when facing backfield, which made for an interesting uniform addition since it was all smeared. I distinctly remember a girl wearing an Americanos jacket sitting in the front row looking at me during concert and saying to her buddy, "OMG, look at that PSYCHO!!" After the show as we exited the stadium two staff members grabbed me (still in uniform), stuffed me into a rental car and drove me to a dentist they had found in the Yellow Pages who had agreed to work on "some emergency case" on a Sunday. Good times.

If a tooth is knocked out cleanly (no broken root), you can usually get decent success by cleaning it off (saline is best) and quickly replanting it. But you'd still need a root canal.