Will The G7 Split From DCI?

Didn't say wildly successful, I said "very successful".

My definition of "very successful" = They seemed to be well-attended and well-received.

well, as I said it may be making the corps money, but I believe it said elsewhere that DCI lost on them

well, as I said it may be making the corps money, but I believe it said elsewhere that DCI lost on them

Can't speak to specifics of every ToC event, but the structure of the events were similar to other 'Non-ToC' tour events hosted by corps'.

A corps paid X fee to DCI to have the show (obviously significantly more because of the show line-up) and kept gate minus expenses (stadium, judge's hotels, corps housing, etc.).

DCI wouldn't have 'lost' money on them per se since there's no way that paying their end of the agreement would come close to the fees they charge for the show (judges, travel, etc.), but it would have been a 'loss' (less total income) compared to if DCI ran the show the New Meadowlands, etc.

Edited by UNCGQ

Can't speak to specifics of every ToC event, but the structure of the events were similar to other 'Non-ToC' tour events hosted by corps'.

Corps paid X fee to DCI for the show (obviously significantly more because of the show line-up) and kept gate minus expenses (stadium, judge's hotels, corps housing, etc.).

DCI wouldn't have 'lost' money on them per se since there's no way that paying their end of the agreement would come close to the fees they charge for the show (judges, travel, etc.), but it would have been a 'loss' (less total income) compared to if DCI ran the show the New Meadowlands, etc.

I'd be very interested in knowing that this information is verified.

If DCI is actually charging the G7 for their own appearance - and not at a discount to what a normal corps show would be charged, and if this agreement carries forward to the new TOC format this season, then I say that's great!

But I'm dubious that this is the deal the G7 worked out for themselves for 2013.

Princeton has a beautiful new stadium, and it has the advantage of being 10 minutes from my house. :tongue:/>

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Seriously, though, if I'm Dan . . .the directors should be out now. All of this back-room stuff that's come out over the past few days just shows the "I got mine" mentality at work, and means that no compromise will ever satiate these folks undying need to be the loudest voice in the room.

My advice: Get out. Get out and prove that little Timmy wants clarinets and a three ring circus instead of being knocked on his ### by a wall of sound. So many times we've seen the lament from Hop's blog of "if only we could do "X" on the field" or "gosh, we don't market ourselves the right way".

Now you can, and you don't even have to share any of those yummy marching band dollars with your poor, poor friends from Atlanta, Madison or Boston. Sure hope you guys can deliver logistically and financially right from the get-go and that people don't get tired of seeing the same seven "bands" over and over again. Never mind how close YEA! and Phantom have come to being broke recently . . .somehow that's all DCI's fault and going to a smaller pool of shows/exhibitions in the "USBA" will fix things. :tongue:/>/>

The resultant mess from the seven "top" corps leaving may destroy DCI and the "G7" both in the process, but I'd rather not see Gibbs, Hop and Co. rot it from the inside over the next few years by trying to turn into their personal promotion machine and kill it anyway.

DCI has enough name recognition that things can be fixed eventually, whether it's a merge with DCA and a regional latticework of shows that would support things, or some other way.

I'm just ready for these big fish . . .in a very, very small pond . . .to put up, or shut up. To wear out the cliches in this post: talk is cheap, folks. This has been kicked around for so many years, and in so many different ways by George and company (anyone remember the 1997 Scott Stewart / Hop debate that was in Drum Corps World?) that it's become just empty chest-thumping at this point.

Pull the trigger.

Well-said.

• Like 1

"Mr. Jones started telling me the same story Don Warren told on the Brass Roots video that came out in the 90s. At the time I did not understand why he was telling me this story. He told me that when they form "The Combine" that it was to circle the wagons and support each other and govern they're own activity that had evolved beyond the old model. To support each other..."

The whole intent was to break free of the veterans' groups because of semi-secret inner grudges and ongoing resentments between the then-leading corps and the VFW/AL officials who kept bruising their leaders' egos.

One thing he stressed to me was that DCI was not there to benefit a single corps or a small group of corps, but to support the activity in general.

We'll never know what went on behind closed doors, but DCI was a spinoff of the elitist Combine, and one thing that did leak out from under those closed doors was that its leaders deemed those corps they interntionally were excluding as "crap corps" ... hardly anyone's idea of ecumenism.

I thought that "The Combine" was fairly selective and turned away some groups at first (i.e. out of the hundreds of corps who were around during the pre-DCI era only a smallish percentage, or at the very least less than the majority, went with the Combine). I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember that being told to me.

doug

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:33 PM (#54) cowtown

DCP Fanatic

That’s a huge part of it right up there, 60 person staff and adults trying to get rich pimping out kids as an educational experience when the kids are just marks for the top folks in the top corps to fill their pockets pushing products of DCI sponsors and their 'experience camps'.

That may be the best succinct one-sentence description I've ever read of the activity as it has become.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:34 PM (#55) Michael Boo

I wrote an article once on another site that was contributed by the son of the first show promoter to stick his neck out for a Combine show. It was quite a scare time for him, as he personally was financially liable. Thankfully, that first show in Wheeling, Illinois was a huge hit.

That moment may well be the turning point that led the activity to what it has become.

There were reasons other corps did not entertain the thought of initially becoming involved to the best of my knowledge. Some corps were simply left out of the mix, I would ascertain, as a business decision for whatever reasons. Others had strong ties still with their local service organizations (VFW, Legion, etc.).

Actually the Combine founders only invited certain corps, Michael. I remember the anger and resentments among those who were excluded.

This is all to the best of my recollection, taking into consideration this was quite a while ago....and things get a little fuzzy with time.

Understood, and that's why I'm responding as one who was there. The activity isn't known for propagating its earlier history.

A corps paid X fee to DCI to have the show (obviously significantly more because of the show line-up) and kept gate minus expenses (stadium, judge's hotels, corps housing, etc.).

Um, who "paid X fee" for the Murfreesboro show? How about the Houston show?

Well, at least your first four words were correct.

no offense, but the only place you may see someone smoking and having a beer while playing their horn in the lot may the with an alumni corps. With DCA as it is today, I don't think you'll see anyone doing that...unless they don't place well

Thanks for that... and even with the Alumni, at least one corps specifically has in their rules that there is no drinking allowed until AFTER the performance. Even the old guard (Alumni Corps) realize that that image is no bueno.

Wow! I got a bunch of requests for the email. I will probably end up posting it somewhere else and putting the link here.

Since we're not apparently allowed to discuss the content of email exchanges (what I gather from the mod who removed it), I'll only say that it was offered as evidence in support of some of the claims of a G7 partial split from DCI under a separate organization. I have not said what is actually in the email, so hopefully I'm ok with the mods with that description.

Note that my cut-and-paste version is not formatted correctly, so the one who originally posted it would be a better source.