Will The G7 Split From DCI?

Are those high-performing students ready to march BD, Crown, or Cadets, or even Troopers? Surf?

Absolutely - without a doubt. You honestly are saying that the students in Marian Catholic, Avon, Broken Arrow, Carmel, etc., etc. are not ready to march even in the non-G7 corps?? I completely disagree. What are your reasons?

Absolutely - without a doubt. You honestly are saying that the students in Marian Catholic, Avon, Broken Arrow, Carmel, etc., etc. are not ready to march even in the non-G7 corps?? I completely disagree. What are your reasons?

Because some of them are marching in those corps.

Because some of them are marching in those corps.

So somehow these students were not ready to march in these corps, and yet they still made spots in these corps?

Sounds to me like their high-level high school marching band experience made them completely ready for these corps (since they did in fact make them).

My gut feeling is that at some point, yes, the G-7 will start their own events.

Mike

wait,................this started 2 years ago,............no?

I think Mike meant their own non-DCI events. That is, the TOC will no longer be DCI shows. It occurs to me that they have no reason to do this as long as DCI is willing to take a loss on running the shows, and is willing to run them as the G7 wants (this is what is alleged on DCP). So for them to leave the path might be:

- DCI wakes up and stops getting hosed on TOC events. They charge TOC what they would get from any other show.

- G7 says, "Well, we can do it more efficiently than you. Good bye!"

- G7 says, "... But of course you will list our shows on your website, right, good buddy? Cause, otherwise who's going to come to our shows?"

- DCI probably says, "Yeah, sure, why not."

- DCP forum maniacs weep silently to ourselves.

(Except for the silently part smile.gif )

• Like 2

It was more a commentary on WGI and how much better they are integrated with the scholastic world.... would be a much more seamless transition for kids.

WGI also has far less expenses. There is no tour...many of the regionals are run by a member unit. They run far fewer events. And as far as being tied into the scholastic world...well...yes they have scholastic units. But the real power is in the independent units. if you do not believe me, look at how the advisory boards are set up

• Like 1

Broken Arrow:

Do I need to repeat this for all the bands you listed? By "Exist" I meant from the perspective of those funding it; the school board. From the perspective of the band leaders, members, and parents, the purpose is the same as DCI. Excellence in performing arts. I did not mean to touch a nerve, and I'm sorry if I have.

But the fact remains that relatively few students move to the Broken Arrow district so their kid can march in the band. They should, yes, but they don't The kids have essentially no choice in what band they choose to march in.

If you're in a marching band you're a kid in a school. If you go to Grand Nationals you're a kid on a school trip. If you're in a drum corps you're pretty much a grown up, and will be treated pretty much the same as if you were a paid employee.

But as I said I haven't been in both. Can anyone who has been in both types of organizations speak to the similarities/difference in the vibe/level of responsibility.

It matters because the distinction is the reason to keep all these non-G7 corps around.

You assume the school board funds it. In reality, many competitive marching bands are self funded. Boosters do the fund raising to get the band on the road, pay for staff..in more and more cases even buy the equipment. Marching band now to many schools is like football....they give you a little, you go out and raise the rest yourself

Because if you can have one corps that's profitable, then you can have multiple corps that are profitable, and the larger you can scale your organization, the more efficient it can become.

Do you think there's a Cadets2 because Hop wants to better train future Cadets??? Riiiiight.

I'd hope so for the dues he charges compared to other DCA corps

• Like 1

Seriously, though, if I'm Dan . . .the directors should be out now. All of this back-room stuff that's come out over the past few days just shows the "I got mine" mentality at work, and means that no compromise will ever satiate these folks undying need to be the loudest voice in the room.

My advice: Get out. Get out and prove that little Timmy wants clarinets and a three ring circus instead of being knocked on his ### by a wall of sound. So many times we've seen the lament from Hop's blog of "if only we could do "X" on the field" or "gosh, we don't market ourselves the right way".

Now you can, and you don't even have to share any of those yummy marching band dollars with your poor, poor friends from Atlanta, Madison or Boston. Sure hope you guys can deliver logistically and financially right from the get-go and that people don't get tired of seeing the same seven "bands" over and over again. Never mind how close YEA! and Phantom have come to being broke recently . . .somehow that's all DCI's fault and going to a smaller pool of shows/exhibitions in the "USBA" will fix things. :tongue:/>/>/>/>/>/>

The resultant mess from the seven "top" corps leaving may destroy DCI and the "G7" both in the process, but I'd rather not see Gibbs, Hop and Co. rot it from the inside over the next few years by trying to turn into their personal promotion machine and kill it anyway.

DCI has enough name recognition that things can be fixed eventually, whether it's a merge with DCA and a regional latticework of shows that would support things, or some other way.

I'm just ready for these big fish . . .in a very, very small pond . . .to put up, or shut up. To wear out the cliches in this post: talk is cheap, folks. This has been kicked around for so many years, and in so many different ways by George and company (anyone remember the 1997 Scott Stewart / Hop debate that was in Drum Corps World?) that it's become just empty chest-thumping at this point.

Pull the trigger.

I think you are right.

I come here daily to read and the e - mail was interesting... that's for sure! I am glad I was able to read it before it was pulled. Drum and Bugle Corps ... it has really become... draining. That sucks! Gonna have to do some digging after today to find out what is really going on, been kinda out of the loop for a bit but I think that this should be moved from here to the masses... which can be done very quickly IMO.

I don't know much yet.

I do know that,

THE MADISON SCOUTS, THE BOSTON CRUSADERS, THE BLUE STARS, THE TROOPERS, THE BLUE KNIGHTS, THE ACADEMY, THE OREGON CRUSADERS, THE SPIRIT of ATLANTA, JERSEY SURF, THE CROSSMEN, PACIFIC CREST, THE COLTS, THE MANDARINS, CASCADES, PIONEER, 7TH REGIMENT, THE SPARTANS, RAIDERS, GENISIS, MUSIC CITY, THE BLUE SAINTS and from what I am seeing THE GLASSMEN, the list can go on and on, other open class Corps, DCA, SDCA, ect. ect. ect... are all going to be coming to a city for our enjoyment in 2013.

Get out g7... Pull the trigger... Talk is cheap...

Should be interesting to see what the masses have to say this weekend...g7!

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 2