Will The G7 Split From DCI?

If I were the G-7 I'd be very careful about what I wished for. Being in the middle of a dessert is OK as long as you're the one with the canteen. If the situation changes (and it very well can) you'll either have to beg for water or die of thirst.

• Like 1

it's more than ok...

Tiramisu.gif

OK, so I spend too much time watching the Food Network. :tongue:

I did read your post, here's what you said:

And again I restate that if there is no chance in the future of any G7 dropping out, way out, even out of the top 12 then the judging system is most certainly corrupt and rigged!

I bolded the part that I thought pertinent. Do you really think in the near future that it's possible Blue Devils will not be in the top 12?!

A) You are thinking of hypotheticals that are WAY far out in the future; BD, for example, hasn't missed finals since, what, early 70's? SCV has NEVER missed finals. You explicitly stated "any" G7, not giving specific examples, so I'm holding you to that nonsense (if you're going to make goofy hypotheticals)

B) you are making stipulations that none of us have any ideas about at this time. We don't know if G7 corps will break from DCI: you seem to be assuming they are. Your assertions are at best naive, and at worst ludicrously uninformed.

Not to get all Clintonian, but I think you two are using the word "any" in different ways.

I take Stu's "any G7" to mean "one of the G7". Understood that way, I think no one would disagree that at least one of the G-7 is likely to miss the top 7 in any given year, as happened for Phantom in 2009 and Cavaliers in 2012, and that it's at least probable that at least one of the G-7 will miss Finals entirely. As I noted in the Boston/ToC thread, there have been seven corps who arguably once could have claimed "G7" status that subsequently fell below that level (Blue Stars, Madison Scouts, 27th Lancers, Spirit, Suncoast Sound, Crossmen, Boston Crusaders) and besides, we know that two of the current G-7, Bluecoats and Crown, have missed Finals in the past fifteen years. (By my reckoning, it wasn't until 2009 that Crown could lay claim to being one of DCI's seven most consistently high-scoring organizations.)

But as Stu correctly points out, a MiM show that consisted of the bottom 6 or all non-finalists would probably not be successful. The MiM series is predicated (at least for now) on the attraction of seeing the elite. Unless the MiM morphed into a product that was far more attractive than the standard DCI show, it would fail to compete with other corps / shows and be starved out of existence. [...] But I think the MiM is going to have to add / drop corps (eventually) just to remain viable (unless, of course, those corps all continue to finish in the top tier).

So we're all saying basically the same thing, I think: if the G-7 control the MiM lineup, as everyone seems to assume, and if the G-7 will never vote their own members out, then eventually they end up with shows that include the 12th-place corps but not the 1st-place corps. That would render the MiM valueless to the G-7, and they'd have to change. However, the only evidence we have so far is that the G-7 not change, but will include one of their members in the MiM, even when that corps placed lower than another corps who is absent. Yes? No?

However, some people have said that the missing corps, Boston, is absent by their own choosing. If that's true, does that mean that Boston is actually helping the G-7 to maintain their "elite" status -- by not shaking things up?

(Or was Boston counting on all this sturm-und-drang as a way of making the G-7 seem unjust?)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I see there is some disagreement.

For this entertainment option to prosper, it needs to appeal to an increasing audience base. That means newbies, like your next door neighbor. Those folks don't care if the Blue Devils have 12 championship titles, or 50. They just want you to move them in a positive way, that night. The night they swung for expensive tickets to something not yet mainstream. This has little to do with what you have done (won) before. These aren't all parents and family. These are folks who need to be satisfied at the spontaneous, gut level. Do that, and scores be dam*ed!

Scores can be a component, but not the end all to be all. That's only a matter for the purists.

Fred,

Let's be honest.....we're just "marching band" to most of the world. And this may offend, but the guys currently in charge are not the guys to lead to some creative rennasiance that will draw the unwashed masses in. Remember, these are the guys that made DCI what it is, and now they cry it's broken. Well, no shot, they made it that way

Stu,

We actually agree. But, message boards are all about having the last word. The crowd at archery is rather small for a reason. The last word is yours. Have a good evening.

and the crowds at drum corps shows are smaller than they used to be.

wonder why

Since no one that actually has the answers instead of just speculation (on either side - the G7 or DCI) is commenting publicly on all of this, can't anyone get answers out of the DCI Roundtable Project or via an e-mail or something? The head of DCI marketing was able to provide answers to the sync rights issues - perhaps someone similar can shed light on this situation.

Don't get me wrong - I do enjoy reading 48 pages worth of speculation... :)

So we're all saying basically the same thing, I think: if the G-7 control the MiM lineup, as everyone seems to assume, and if the G-7 will never vote their own members out, then eventually they end up with shows that include the 12th-place corps but not the 1st-place corps. That would render the MiM valueless to the G-7, and they'd have to change. However, the only evidence we have so far is that the G-7 not change, but will include one of their members in the MiM, even when that corps placed lower than another corps who is absent. Yes? No?

However, some people have said that the missing corps, Boston, is absent by their own choosing. If that's true, does that mean that Boston is actually helping the G-7 to maintain their "elite" status -- by not shaking things up?

(Or was Boston counting on all this sturm-und-drang as a way of making the G-7 seem unjust?)

To be honest we don't really know what's going on right now or what the plans are going forward. It's pretty clear we're just going to have to wait and see (same as we did when the TOC series was announced with no details).

So far all we know:

• TOC is replaced with a new series consisting of 7 shows (which DCP is referring to as MiM)
  • BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, Cavies, Crown, PR, SCV are participating in the series

And that's about it. Literally everything else is speculation. And I'm not sure DCI or the MiM corps know what will happen either. They may have plans but plans change.