Death of Corps

T man

You are obviously YOUNG, and DUMB. We were all saying this about drum corps in 1985 (when we were young and dumb!).

Edited by dcm_alum

yeah, I forgot about spartacus... I'll admit that, but just because PR is always the exception, not the rule.

However, BD is NOT a good corps. Fast, Loud, and Dissonant is not important at all in music. And crap drill on top does not add up to good. I'm also disappointed that during 07-12 they've won so many times without being good or having really any serious competition. (Excluding the years they lost obviously, however "Between, Angels and Demons" was not very good.)

You really should check yourself before you wreck yourself (seems too late now). You seem like one of those people that gets beaten at sports/video games and then just rail about how bad your opponent was. Obviously not if you lost to them. Likewise, BD is a GREAT corps (obviously the best in recent years), and the fact that you can't see that could mean: a) You're immature and need to learn more about drum corps/music, or b) You're jealous of their success.

Just because someone or some corps doesn't conform to your idea of "good" doesn't mean they're wrong. As soon as you learn that, you'll appreciate a lot more, both in a broad sense and in the nuances.

The thing that gets me here is that this poster is encouraging corps to take risk and push the envelope, and then he complains about BD which by just about any measure you choose to use was absolutely pushing the envelope this last year. You may not like the results, but if corps trying new and different things is really important to DCI (I think it is) then you have to admire what BD did. To say that they aren't a good corps is complete folly. I'm not usually a big Cadets or Cavies fan - their style just isn't quite what I like. But they are both MONSTER corps and I would never say that they aren't just because I didn't like the style of one of their shows.

Folks, DCI is not going out of existence. It may still get a little smaller - I could see that happening. There are a lot of activities for youth these days, and I think any corps has to be of a pretty high quality to attract members these days. That means we'll continue to consolidate most likely to smaller number of good corps. But DCI will reach some sustainable size and we'll continue to have great drumcorps action each summer for decades to come.

• Like 3

The thing that gets me here is that this poster is encouraging corps to take risk and push the envelope, and then he complains about BD which by just about any measure you choose to use was absolutely pushing the envelope this last year. You may not like the results, but if corps trying new and different things is really important to DCI (I think it is) then you have to admire what BD did. To say that they aren't a good corps is complete folly. I'm not usually a big Cadets or Cavies fan - their style just isn't quite what I like. But they are both MONSTER corps and I would never say that they aren't just because I didn't like the style of one of their shows.

Folks, DCI is not going out of existence. It may still get a little smaller - I could see that happening. There are a lot of activities for youth these days, and I think any corps has to be of a pretty high quality to attract members these days. That means we'll continue to consolidate most likely to smaller number of good corps. But DCI will reach some sustainable size and we'll continue to have great drumcorps action each summer for decades to come.

:worthy::thumbup:

I agree that "Machine" outdid "Frameworks", but it was 2006, not 2007.

Yeah...

Wow interesting post.

I never marched drumcorps (ducks head..) but I have been a fan for at least 2 decades. Regarding the posts about DCI "going down hill" back in the fabulous 80s or any other decade, there is definitely an ebb and flow for this activity much like life.

I remember also in the (90s?) when DCI was having huge sales on their merchandise - videotapes - because they seemed to be down and out. I bought a bunch of vhs tapes which are now all gone (along with my vcr) at rock bottom prices get them while they last! Look out below...

I digress....

My point is I too loudly complained when they started to allow the amplification - thinking that it would be the death of Drumcorps. After all, this is Drumcorps and not Broadway!

Does everyone remember 2004 Carolina Crown's Bohemia? When they broke out the microphone I cried foul. And I am a huge Queen fan to boot. I saw the death of DCI right there. It seemed to catch on with other Corps with some scary - to me - results. Does everyone remember "Dance Derby of the Century" by the Blue Devils? Yowza Yowza!

But of course Drumcorps didn't die and they seem to have gone away from outright singing (not miked at least) and are now on an amplification kick. I still shake my head when I see how much gear they trot out on the field for the prerecorded pieces. Some corps support crews look like they are setting up more for 38 Special or Van Halen than drumcorps.

But i have come over it seems. I really liked Cabaret Voltaire. There I said it. When they first started (stumbling?)ambling across the field in the opener I groaned in the theater... here we go again. But the show really grabbed me and was one of my favorites of the year.(I had neither seen nor heard any shows that year until then)

You mentioned 2007- forward as the high point for you, well my golden year was 1996.

1-2-3 knockout people

1 - Blue Devils Gangster Chronicles - fantastic show - one of my favorites until 2000's all Bernard Herrmann show.

1 - Phantom Regiment - Defiant Heart - all black uniforms with Shastakovich? Chills people, chills

3 - Cadets - The American West - Copeland one of my favorites with a fun show? Are you kidding me? Who can forget "BEEF!" ... drunk guy gets a mention as well.

6 - Madison Scouts - Drumcorps Fans Dream Part Dos had everyone on their feet. One of the biggest crowd reactions I had ever seen. That John Schipper (sp) guy - fantastic and Malaguena again? How refreshing ..... ;)

Also we had a tie for first place for the first time ever. That won't happen again anytime soon.... oops.

So of course I ask myself how could I like these old shows so much - and others from the 90s and 80s but yet still say I like all of this "new stuff" they keep coming up with too? I cannot say why, but I know I do. Some of it is the anticipation of seeing it come about every summer, some of it is what is old is new again.

(Did everyone hear the opening and closing riff from Gangster Chronicles(96) brought back out again in Cabaret Voltaire(12) in a new way?)I don't like everything (Cadets I love you but Jethro Tull may be best left on the stereo), but I am always entertained.

In today's age of quick thrills and forget it soon, how many other activities give you this much pleasure year in and year out?

I think I will still complain, but each new year will have me awaiting what new show/invention they can come up with to entertain me.

I will say this - I miss the annual Thanksgiving shows - with all 12 corps, which got me hooked in the first place and I will always be in debt from my old middle school/jr high school band director who turned me onto Drumcorps in the first place. Thanks Mr Parquette!

Oh yeah, thank God for DVD/Bluray!

Edited by sjankis630

DCI will reach some sustainable size and we'll continue to have great drumcorps action each summer for decades to come.

I'd agree with this sentiment as well. DCI has lost some of the most crowd pleasing Corps in its history ( more crowd pleasing than for example BD 2011, 2012 )like Star of Indiana, 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Anaheim Kingsmen, Freelancers, Hawthorne Muchachos, North Star, Guardsmen, Suncoast Sound, and on and on... most of us really miss them and wonder what types of crowd pleasing shows they'd have offered up for us if they were still around today. They are missed. But DCI endured. Other corps filled their void. Some now in the G7. DCI will be fine. Corps not yet borne will rise up as well. The same way other Corps rose up in the rankings to replace these once top placing elite and iconic Corps from back in the day.

Edited by BRASSO