2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

ok so if you can't hear the instuments then why use them in the first place? oh yeah so you could amp them. how stupid. these people wrting today .............

Because it diversifies what instruments you can use. Why should design be hindered? It's legal instrumentation so if it enhances your show, why ask the performer to play unnaturally to make it heard?

It's surprising to see people complaining about the activity shrinking and low attendance compared to other circuits. Maybe that's because DCA is far behind in allowing corps to design shows that fans want.

DCA already has a bad connotation with mainstream drum corps fans as being a dinosaur circuit.

As for amps "not being drum corps", should we go back to what some on this board consider what drum corps is? Rotary valve horns, symmetrical drill? Nothing wrong with that, but I guarantee you'll be playing for 10's of people and no one will join your corps.

You can't take some advancements while dismissing others. Asymmetrical drill, pits, Bb horns, non-tick judging, and amps have pushed the activity forward.

• Like 3

Because it diversifies what instruments you can use. Why should design be hindered? It's legal instrumentation so if it enhances your show, why ask the performer to play unnaturally to make it heard?

It's surprising to see people complaining about the activity shrinking and low attendance compared to other circuits. Maybe that's because DCA is far behind in allowing corps to design shows that fans want.

DCA already has a bad connotation with mainstream drum corps fans as being a dinosaur circuit.

As for amps "not being drum corps", should we go back to what some on this board consider what drum corps is? Rotary valve horns, symmetrical drill? Nothing wrong with that, but I guarantee you'll be playing for 10's of people and no one will join your corps.

You can't take some advancements while dismissing others. Asymmetrical drill, pits, Bb horns, non-tick judging, and amps have pushed the activity forward.

as an arranger you have to use instruments that can be heard. this is BS. period. this was just an excuse to use amps. and you can be an apologist all you want. and if you think this will bring crowds back. your wrong. DCA is in big trouble and amps isn't the answer. look drum corps was alaways different from bands. so the way it's going lets stop the sham. stop calling it drum corps and call marching entertainment. and in case you haven't been paying attention but the old guard is leaving watching the shows and the youngsters aren't replacing them. are you going to have an outfit playing to an empty stadium? and by the way Bb horns were not made to be played outside.

• Like 2

How do you or anyone else know what the fans want? And what circuits are you talking about because DCA and DCI are the only Drum Corps circuits that I know about. And both circuits have been having problems with shrinking fan base over the decades.

Define "mainstream" please. IMO - insulting something different from what you are used to is very immature, no matter who does it. And considering the difficulties the activity has just surviving it's disgusting to insult any part trying to continue.

PS - how does amping an already legal instrument (part I clipped) add to the design of a show?

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

yeah jeff. that's what is called sacrifice tongue.gif

It is to me. DCA finals really isn't the place for a 2 year old

No offense but DCI let all the toys in and they aren't setting any attendance records

• Like 3

as an arranger you have to use instruments that can be heard. this is BS. period. this was just an excuse to use amps. and you can be an apologist all you want. and if you think this will bring crowds back. your wrong. DCA is in big trouble and amps isn't the answer. look drum corps was alaways different from bands. so the way it's going lets stop the sham. stop calling it drum corps and call marching entertainment. and in case you haven't been paying attention but the old guard is leaving watching the shows and the youngsters aren't replacing them. are you going to have an outfit playing to an empty stadium? and by the way Bb horns were not made to be played outside.

Of course it's an excuse to use amps, it's a benefit to the arranger and performer. Performers no longer have to play with questionable techniques that are hard on hands and instruments. Arrangers have more options as well. It's not being an apologist, it's reality (I'd assume you're not a percussionist).

How do you or anyone else know what the fans want? And what circuits are you talking about because DCA and DCI are the only Drum Corps circuits that I know about. And both circuits have been having problems with shrinking fan base over the decades.

Define "mainstream" please. IMO - insulting something different from what you are used to is very immature, no matter who does it. And considering the difficulties the activity has just surviving it's disgusting to insult any part trying to continue.

PS - how does amping an already legal instrument (part I clipped) add to the design of a show?

There's nothing insulting about it, that's the opinion of many DCI fans that are not familiar with DCA. I don't want that view.

As for declining membership and growth, look at where new members come from:

Marching band > DCI/WGI > DCA

Marching band > DCA > DCI > DCA

All of those minus DCA have more progressive rules in what equipment can be used and how you can design a show.

It is to me. DCA finals really isn't the place for a 2 year old

i know jeff. that's what i mean. you have to sacrifice.