Georgia Dome to be torn down

I doubt this one will be designed for acoustics, like the "oil drum".... is.

nothing 5 zillion yards of black curtain can't fix...I mean it's worked so well at LOS

:rolleyes:/>/>

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

My understanding is that the Georgia Dome will not be torn down at all. It will remain as an alternative venue for larger events (because the new stadium will have a smaller capacity). I mean they jest spent $300 million in renovations to the building back in 2008. I highly doubt that they would just let it all go to waste after just a few years of service.

Reading over the preliminary financial and operational responsibilities that will need to be orchestrated between the team, the World Congress Authority, city, county and state, the Dome will likely be demolished. the land is too valuable to have it remain when the new stadium can serve the same purpose at virtually the same capacity.

IMO, and incredibly preliminary...I actually hate seeing icons like the Dome being imploded - but that's progress.

Reading over the preliminary financial and operational responsibilities that will need to be orchestrated between the team, the World Congress Authority, city, county and state, the Dome will likely be demolished. the land is too valuable to have it remain when the new stadium can serve the same purpose at virtually the same capacity.

IMO, and incredibly preliminary...I actually hate seeing icons like the Dome being imploded - but that's progress.

That's a real shame. While it may not have all the bells and whistles of the brand new stadiums, the Georgia Dome is still an outstanding facility and this seems like an incredible waste of the taxpayers money. The place hosted the Olympics for goodness sakes, I sure would hate to see it torn down.

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 3

Bobby Dodd stadium is oh so nice. I'd love to see a drum corps show there.

Not that I'm biased or anything. :tongue:/>/>

(GO JACKETS!)

BITD, Bobby Dodd Stadium (it was called Grant Field back then) hosted many DCI shows. At the first Atlanta DCI show in 1976, 16,000 people showed up at Grant Field to see the Crossmen, Blue Stars, Finleyville Royal Crusaders, St. Francis Sancions, Capitalaires, Charioteers and Bleu Raiders. That's about the same size as recent crowds for the Atlanta regional.

The 1976 Atlanta show was part of DCI's first southern tour, and was sponsored by my high school band, which was directed by DCI Hall of Fame member Freddy Martin, who later founded Spirit of Atlanta.

At the 1976 Atlanta show, I marched trumpet in a pre-show exhibition by my high school band, quickly changed uniforms under the end zone bleachers and went right back out on the field to play soprano with the first corps on the field, the Alabama Charioteers.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 2