2002 Underrated?

I thought 2002 had a really strong lineup of corps. Aside from the usual suspects, Seattle Cascades had a wonderfully strong show that year with pretty much no weaknesses.

Magic, of course, was a D1 corps in all but name, and they also came out with a fairly straightforward show that hit on all cylinders.

Spirit came out with an incredibly powerful hornline and an aggressive book that both fit the "Southern" image (with an emphasis on Easter) and a really interesting musical program.

Crossmen were actually trending 4th throughout part of the early season - the original musical charts might have been their most ambitious show ever, and if they could have pulled it off... Heat of the Day is still a classic.

Bluecoats, long before their conversion to the "modern" 'Coats, still had a program that wasn't quite old-school jazz, but had songs with a real depth to them. (Still love Pedal to the Metal.)

And Glassmen... 1000AD from Millenium Symphony + Fleugelhorn = Brilliant. Phantom didn't include this piece when they did Into the Light in 2010, but if they had it'd be hard to escape comparison to this show.

Absolutely I think '02 is underrated - there was a great group of corps in here that played strong programs. That said, some of them (Spirit, Bluecoats a bit, Crossmen a bit, Magic) weren't the corps' typical fare, either in tone or subject, and that might contribute to some of the hazy memory that some fans have to this year.

Mike

• Like 3

I thought 2002 had a really strong lineup of corps. Aside from the usual suspects, Seattle Cascades had a wonderfully strong show that year with pretty much no weaknesses.

Magic, of course, was a D1 corps in all but name, and they also came out with a fairly straightforward show that hit on all cylinders.

Spirit came out with an incredibly powerful hornline and an aggressive book that both fit the "Southern" image (with an emphasis on Easter) and a really interesting musical program.

Crossmen were actually trending 4th throughout part of the early season - the original musical charts might have been their most ambitious show ever, and if they could have pulled it off... Heat of the Day is still a classic.

Bluecoats, long before their conversion to the "modern" 'Coats, still had a program that wasn't quite old-school jazz, but had songs with a real depth to them. (Still love Pedal to the Metal.)

And Glassmen... 1000AD from Millenium Symphony + Fleugelhorn = Brilliant. Phantom didn't include this piece when they did Into the Light in 2010, but if they had it'd be hard to escape comparison to this show.

Absolutely I think '02 is underrated - there was a great group of corps in here that played strong programs. That said, some of them (Spirit, Bluecoats a bit, Crossmen a bit, Magic) weren't the corps' typical fare, either in tone or subject, and that might contribute to some of the hazy memory that some fans have to this year.

Mike

That Bluecoats closer is probably my favorite moment from 02.

Blue Devils show is just fun, one of my favorites from them, same with Vanguard.

Blue Devils caught a lot of heck that summer (DCP's first) for their abbreviated Channel One closer, but listening with 2012 ears, it's actually pretty well done for hitting the high points. Ragtime is still one of my favorite pieces they've ever played, and was a brilliant choice for the show.

Vanguard's opener (Trivandrum) was the highlight of their show for me, and especially those flags with the stretchy strap on the side. I think from 2001-3, they had a pretty good groove of "modern" classical-style music that, well, just worked.

Mike

Blue Devils caught a lot of heck that summer (DCP's first) for their abbreviated Channel One closer, but listening with 2012 ears, it's actually pretty well done for hitting the high points. Ragtime is still one of my favorite pieces they've ever played, and was a brilliant choice for the show.

Saw BD three times that summer.... first on their early-season East Coast swing, and they were rough... uncharacteristically so for them. The show seemed disjointed.

Then I caught them twice just before championships... and they had obviously done their homework and ironed out whatever early problems they had. Horn line was super-clean, and the show was great!

Love 2002 Blue Devils! Such a great music book and a brilliant color guard (as usual!).

Cavaliers 2002 is very strong, particularly the ballad when the guard unveils the various colors... love the opener as well.

Boston Crusaders program was also very good and I certainly enjoy viewing it over and over.

2002 is one of my favorite years - great shows top to bottom.

Cavaliers had that incredibly clean and beautiful winning program.

Cadets had the oh-so memorable Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy

Vanguard rocked Copland Organ Symphony and had an excellent drumline

Boston had an incredibly emotional program and excellent visual program

Glassmen had an amazing music book - Kevin Creasy of course was spectacular and that drumline was smokin'

Magic was just strong across all captions - one of my favorite books by Wayne Downey

Seattle (with their only finals appearance) just had an entertaining and well-performed program across the board

2002 was definitely interesting, as both Crown and Madison (consistent finalists) missed finals, with BK almost breaking back in after a disappointing 2001.

FWIW, I saw them all at the Alamodome in July that year. Blue Devils had what was, to this day, the loudest musical moment I've ever heard in my life. During the big blow section at the end of I've Got Rhythm/Fascinating Rhythm, when the drummers are running around the rack, it was so loud that you couldn't hear the corps anymore. All you could hear was a wall of distortion. It was absolutely amazing.

And BK deserves special mention - their opener in 2002 is an all-time classic, and maybe the best "angry" song a drum corps has ever done. I don't think we in the crowd knew what to expect from them after the '01 show, and they blew everyone's socks off.

Mike

• Like 1