longer school year

Here are some counters to your posting:

a) Normally a university student only has to miss 1/3 of an academic year by using the summer session to march with a corps. However, many Colleges/Universities are switching to Quarters instead of Trimesters; which means that those college students would need to attend at least one quarter 'during the summer' or miss out on 1/2 a school year.

b) Normally a high school student has a large summer break; even in cases where a school calender is extended the summer break is still rather long. However, many High Schools are going to 'year-round' schedules and not taking one big summer break but a series of short breaks throughout the year; which means that those high school students would only be available for two or three weeks in the summer.

c) Also, when schools extend schedules like described in a and b potential corps housing goes by-by.

I'm a bit confused about the new college schedules. Haven't heard of it around here, but no doubt believe you. Could you explain further? If I'm correct in your meaning of this then it would definitely effect WC corps. Especially if the large state universities catch on.

I didn't think of it in my original post, but I'd imagine that housing is only going to get harder to find...

Are you trying to make the back in the day guys go "Harumph"? To keep them placated you could of have at least mentioned that the mattresses were so well constructed that they didn't get cut through while sleeping on the broken glass in the parking lot!!!

Would have been nice if that were true!!! :thumbup:

Most colleges I know still use semesters. In fact the only Univ. I know uses Trimesters is Drexel. I'm sure there are others this is just the only one I know about.

However, it is becoming quite impossible for education, especially music education majors to graduate in 4 years. This often forces people to take summer/winter courses. And it can be cheaper than going an extra semester or full year, especially if you can take summer courses at a local county/community college and transfer those credits back to your main school.

It has become very hard to graduate in 4 years following the traditional college schedule.

Most colleges I know still use semesters. In fact the only Univ. I know uses Trimesters is Drexel. I'm sure there are others this is just the only one I know about.

However, it is becoming quite impossible for education, especially music education majors to graduate in 4 years. This often forces people to take summer/winter courses. And it can be cheaper than going an extra semester or full year, especially if you can take summer courses at a local county/community college and transfer those credits back to your main school.

It has become very hard to graduate in 4 years following the traditional college schedule.

Very true. I'm a good example of a five year student. My loans prove that also :(

Edited by xtreme0204

Part of the reason I think is historical. Initially countries like the U.S. and Canada were primarily agricultural and the families needed the kids home during the summer to help out on the farms, so unless we start growing an awlul lot of crops and raising dairy cattle I don't know what we're going to do.

When I went to the University of Toledo we were on the Quarter System

Fall Quarter started in late September and went 11 weeks then we had a week of finals then we had 2 weeks off for Christmas break

Winter Quarter started the first monday after the new year and went for 10 weeks then had a week of finals, and then we got 1 week off for spring break

Spring quarter started after that break and we went for 10 weeks and had a week for finals. this week of finals was usually the 2nd week of June.

Summer Quarter was actually broken into 3 parts. Session 1 was the full 10 weeks with one week of finals, session two was the first 5 weeks and sessino 3 was the second 5 weeks. So those going during the summer could take a class that spanned the whole summer and then take a shortened session for 1 class in the first half and then a different class in the second half and earn credits for three classes during the summer while only actually ever having 2 classes at one time.

My freshman year I missed the first couple shows of the season since I had finals the day of the first show, which was luckily at Toledo so I was able to see the corps perform, then I had to move home from school while the corps travelled to their second show. I met up with them later that week.

Didn't have a problem the next 3 years with any conflicts with school. Also the nice thing was after finals I had a full month of summer vacation before school started up again.

If my son had marched between senior/hs and freshman/college, he would have had a problem because he would miss all that freshman orientation stuff. But since his first year of drum corps was between freshman and sophomore/college, it wasn't much of a problem. He even took one day of downtime after he got back from DCI Finals before he went to band camp.

What's wrong with kids wanting to stay as comfortable as possible when they sleep on tour? Does that make us all pansies for sleeping on a nice mattress instead of a mattress stuffed with straw? Or the ground and a rock for a pillow like the cowboys and cavemen? Don't blame the kids for taking advantage of the amenities available to them.

SarcasmDetector.jpg

I am hoping this was meant in just.

I can promise you that it wasn't "in just"

edit: special shout out to kickhalts... for understanding the internet.

Edited by soccerguy315

Here in Chicago, the public schools have two different types of school schedules:

Regular track which start school which start the last week in August and end beginning of June with regular length winter and Spring breaks.

Track E which start early August and end mid June with Fall, Winter and Spring Break which are all two weeks long.

What is happening here is that more College students go for World Class Corps with more high school students taking advantage of the Open Class corps in the area along with the summer programs which focus on corps-style drumming, dancing and spinning that are available in the city.