Carolina Crown 2013

I will never understand why Phantom's visual design has been so disrespected the past couple of years.

I actually think Phantom's visual design has been gaining a lot more respect lately.

There was a post months back with screen captures of their drill throughout their show. Every picture was like art.

I also think it was Chaos who commented about Jamey Thompson's ability to integrate the guard in their drill. When you watch their show the guard always seems to be in the right place as opposed to off in a corner as some sort of visual afterthought.

AGAIN! :P

I'm just full of typing fails lately... really.. who adds the extra 'o' usually people miss the extra "o"

Still a mistake. :P

You had a fragment in a response yesterday. It took all I had not to tell you that your adjective clause was messed up.

Oh relax.

• Like 1

I actually think Phantom's visual design has been gaining a lot more respect lately.

There was a post months back with screen captures of their drill throughout their show. Every picture was like art.

I also think it was Chaos who commented about Jamey Thompson's ability to integrate the guard in their drill. When you watch their show the guard always seems to be in the right place as opposed to off in a corner as some sort of visual afterthought.

Yeah.. but not many people recognize that. They see drill that isn't whiplash drill and automatically assume that it is easy.

And I've been very vocal on how I disapprove of Leon May's drill for the most part. Some cool stuff to watch. And it is honestly amazing the level they are able to perform their shows, because their drill sets them up for failure in many captions. In fact, I don't think they get the music credit they deserve because of the added environmental demands from the drill. And color guard staging is not one of Leon's strong points. However, Jamey Thompson is one of the best in the game. Gaines was pretty #### good also. I also enjoy Ed Devlin's staging a whole lot, and Crossmen do get credit for that, but the actual dirll for the corps proper is boring as hell. Let's see how many times I can reshape this arc.....

Yeah.. but not many people recognize that. They see drill that isn't whiplash drill and automatically assume that it is easy.

And I've been very vocal on how I disapprove of Leon May's drill for the most part. Some cool stuff to watch. And it is honestly amazing the level they are able to perform their shows, because their drill sets them up for failure in many captions. In fact, I don't think they get the music credit they deserve because of the added environmental demands from the drill. And color guard staging is not one of Leon's strong points. However, Jamey Thompson is one of the best in the game. Gaines was pretty #### good also. I also enjoy Ed Devlin's staging a whole lot, and Crossmen do get credit for that, but the actual dirll for the corps proper is boring as hell. Let's see how many times I can reshape this arc.....

Some things to think about:

- how often did they stop marching during the show?

- how often did they play while marching compared to how often did they play while not marching?

- look at the angles they had to march and when they changed sets

- if drill is designed correctly, it looks better and works better on the field

• Like 1

Total BS.

I agree with you chaos001. Phantom's demand was exactly what was required for that show and it wasn't easy. Each show has different demands for sure.

There's no need to run all the time if it doesn't serve a purpose and enhance the show. Phantoms drill was great for what they were trying to do and it didn't need to have any more sets to be difficult. Plus, Phantom was actually clean and uniform.

People need to stop harping on that BS right now.

Also, the corps in the lower third of the top 12 have demanding shows too. Maybe they're not performed as well as the top corps or they're not designed as well. Whatever.... All the shows are difficult.

Of course I still contend that Crown's brass is DCI's best, so there's that out there again... tongue.gif

• Like 2

Every picture was like art.

To me, this is how corps should look and how they looked in the past. Each frame was pretty close to art.

I think we've given that up a little bit for velocity and number of sets; the balance needs to swing back more towards center again though...