Carolina Crown 2013

Playing hard licks while running around the field is all good and well. But smart drill writing is to have the really hard licks played while standing still or doing something not so demanding. I'd think you want the focus to be on either a clinic in brass execution, or a clinic in visual performance, but not both at the same time. Save that for doing something really hard, sure, but not the musical highlight of the show.

Playing hard licks while running around the field is all good and well. But smart drill writing is to have the really hard licks played while standing still or doing something not so demanding. I'd think you want the focus to be on either a clinic in brass execution, or a clinic in visual performance, but not both at the same time. Save that for doing something really hard, sure, but not the musical highlight of the show.

Works for the Blue Devils :ph34r:

Can't wait to see what else Crown has planned for this season. Their brass line is always so amazing.

• Like 2

Is it just me, or is this "discussion" comparing 96 or so 18-21 year-old brass players with 6 sets of tympanists spread across 80-or-so yards of football fields in sub-standard acoustical environments in non-climate controlled conditions compared to 12 professional brass players and one professional tympanist in a regulated acoustical and temperature/humidity controlled venue nothing but A GIGANTIC WASTE OF OXYGEN? Ever hear the Chicago Symphony from the 20-yard line? Didn't think so.

I've heard them at the taste of Chicago one year, outside... Wasn't the same as inside for sure.

You got it correct, this is a waste of oxygen aside.... You can't really compare the two.

No pitchforks, but Crown was the gold standard for quality last year. Glad you've been doing the "music" thing for that amount of time as it's a good start! tongue.gif

Many of us have been doing it for that long or longer too, most likely the judges, which I don't always agree with either.

No judgement here, just trying to figure out the disconnect between you, Crown's brass gold medal and Box 5 score, and the judges considering how bad you make them sound (no pun intended).

Please continue as I'm sure many of us welcome opinions different than ours.

They certainly weren't when it came to percussion. Scores are only part of the equation, but I agree they had a phenomenal brass line last year!

• Like 1

Why not both at the same time? I find doing one or the other (music/visual) the coward's way of drum corps. One of the things I like about today's drum corps is that a few of them try some really hard shstuff. Do they always succeed? No, but they make the attempt (die trying if you will). Boundaries do not get pushed by just doing enough to get by.

Edited by InspaDave

Why not both at the same time? I find doing one or the other (music/visual) the coward's way of drum corps. One of the things I like about today's drum corps is that a few of them try some really hard shstuff. Do they always succeed? No, but they make the attempt (die trying if you will). Boundaries do not get pushed by just doing enough to get by.

Maybe he didn't mean never at the same time, but that especially hard moments they are separated.

For example: Crown 2012- the fast lip slur down the valve combination section followed by chromatic runs was standing still.

• Like 1

No pitchforks, but Crown was the gold standard for quality last year.

Brass line ? Yes

But 6th place in percussion isn't quite " the gold standard ".

Crown, like others before them, is finding that its difficult to have a year where all sections of the Corps are clicking on all cylinders, which is what it takes to win it all. Maybe it'll be this year though for them, who knows.. its possible.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

They certainly weren't when it came to percussion. Scores are only part of the equation, but I agree they had a phenomenal brass line last year!

Wasn't referring to percussion, only brass.

The previous post was talking about brass quality ( from what I gather by what they were saying) satisfied.gif

Brass line ? Yes

But 6th place in percussion isn't quite " the gold standard ".

Crown, like others before them, is finding that its difficult to have a year where all sections of the Corps are clicking on all cylinders, which is what it takes to win it all. Maybe it'll be this year though for them, who knows.. its possible.

Brasso,

I was only talking about brass line considering I was responding to a person who I gather was questioning the brass quality. I know that they weren't as proficient in percussion. I think everyone knows that. satisfied.gif