Carolina Crown 2013

But your post said "music."

True my post did say "music",

Forgive me for being a little brass-centric in my response.

The poster that I was responding to (hardlyworking) compared Crown's attacks and what I took as other brass specific components of their performance to a symphony's performance implying that they weren't good. I was only addressing that, but you're right. Crown was the gold standard for BRASS playing. Percussion is an important part of "music" and their show did have a LOT of tympani parts that one could compare to an orchestra. The other parts arranged for percussion? Not so much comparable... I can not attested to the percussion being the Gold standard. Still, 6th (?) place is a pretty good place to be in excellence and certainly Box 5 and "good".

Also, re-reading my post, it DID mention brass playing.

I went back and "correct" any mistyping to clarify the matter too.... tongue.gif

Anyway, I hope that I've cleared that up for you! tongue.gif

Edited by jjeffeory

True my post did say "music",

Forgive me for being a little brass-centric in my response.

The poster that I was responding to (hardlyworking) compared Crown's attacks and what I took as other brass specific components of their performance to a symphony's performance implying that they weren't good. I was only addressing that, but you're right. Crown was the gold standard for BRASS playing. Percussion is an important part of "music" and their show did have a LOT of tympani parts that one could compare to an orchestra. The other parts arranged for percussion? Not so much comparable... I can not attested to the percussion being the Gold standard. Still, 6th (?) place is a pretty good place to be in excellence and certainly Box 5 and "good".

Also, re-reading my post, it DID mention brass playing.

I went back and "correct" any mistyping to clarify the matter too.... tongue.gif

Anyway, I hope that I've cleared that up for you! tongue.gif

Gold stickers for you.

Gold stickers for you.

Gold is good, but may I have titanium stickers instead? blink.gif

Here ya go:

Green plus for you! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! thumbup.giftongue.gif

• Like 1

Just curious, what didn't you like about the way they did Common Man? I thought they stayed pretty true to the original.

There's definitely room for criticism about the way they did Common Man. I like Fanfare, but I did kinda find it annoying that when they did get to playing the (verbatim?) fanfare ballad, it was like, the fifth time it showed up in the show. And I noticed that the long note ending fanfare had a ton of glaring holes in it, people dropping out to breath and coming in out of the texture the whole time. Am I the only one with a broken blu ray disc with a bad recording or something?

Are you talking about how they SOUND while they move, or just solely how they march? That's not how it works honey. Crown sounds pretty unbelievable on the move anyways. Plus, they WON visual proficiency in finals, so by what you're saying they still would have had the best brass last year.

http://www.dci.org/s...b7-d7fe9e874b49

I think there are more than a few people who find it hard to believe they deserved feet, though. Especially considering they were 2nd or below by healthy margins in every other visual category pretty much the whole season, the fact that they eeked out 2 tenths ahead of BD in feet the last two nights of the season was just strange to say the least. I mean, people have always been saying that Crown manages to get some pretty high feet scores considering how dirty they tend to be, not only in 2012. For some reason I just can't buy that their show was so much harder visually than anyone else's that it was enough to win feet for how dirty they were compared to BD or Cadets or PR (none of whom had easy shows)

They do sound good on the move, but the general case in 2012 was they played their loud stuff in half time or at the big halts and their mezzo rhythmic stuff at their big running moves. The exceptions would be a few moments in the opener and the closer. People always accuse BD of pulling that crap but Crown does it just the same.

• Like 4

I think there are more than a few people who find it hard to believe they deserved feet, though. Especially considering they were 2nd or below by healthy margins in every other visual category pretty much the whole season, the fact that they eeked out 2 tenths ahead of BD in feet the last two nights of the season was just strange to say the least. I mean, people have always been saying that Crown manages to get some pretty high feet scores considering how dirty they tend to be, not only in 2012. For some reason I just can't buy that their show was so much harder visually than anyone else's that it was enough to win feet for how dirty they were compared to BD or Cadets or PR (none of whom had easy shows)

They do sound good on the move, but the general case in 2012 was they played their loud stuff in half time or at the big halts and their mezzo rhythmic stuff at their big running moves. The exceptions would be a few moments in the opener and the closer. People always accuse BD of pulling that crap but Crown does it just the same.

Watching the shakos bob everywhere was distracting me from feet, honestly.

If anyone is confused about this poster's last paragraph, watch 2010 again.

• Like 4

Are you talking about how they SOUND while they move, or just solely how they march? That's not how it works honey. Crown sounds pretty unbelievable on the move anyways. Plus, they WON visual proficiency in finals, so by what you're saying they still would have had the best brass last year.

http://www.dci.org/scores/recap/view.cfm?event_id=d3695655-2738-4fc6-94b7-d7fe9e874b49

It's how it works for me. If Crown can't connect phrases while stopping and starting moves, then you shouldn't be surprised when I say I prefer Phantom, BD and Cadets' hornlines.

• Like 3

There's definitely room for criticism about the way they did Common Man. I like Fanfare, but I did kinda find it annoying that when they did get to playing the (verbatim?) fanfare ballad, it was like, the fifth time it showed up in the show. And I noticed that the long note ending fanfare had a ton of glaring holes in it, people dropping out to breath and coming in out of the texture the whole time. Am I the only one with a broken blu ray disc with a bad recording or something?

Amen! They were fourth at best!

• Like 3

I just don't see the widespread dirt.....maybe somebody needs to get a few screenshots and John Madden the hell out of it. I think you gotta be looking for it and I just don't see it.

• Like 2