Hardest Hornline Books

As far as mellophones are concerned, it's challenging to find books more difficult than Star of Indiana's 1991 "Roman Images" show.

But difficulty is kind of subjective. Lots and lots of notes are difficult, but so is playing something so in tune and with such a remarkable tone that it makes one shudder. I'm thinking a good example of this is Cavaliers' 2002 "Frameworks" and some recent Carolina Crown offerings, plus some rumbling examples from Phantom Regiment that rearranged my spleen and other vital organs.

A good number of Blue Devils' shows have had those insanely wicked soprano/trumpet features where they were riffing all together on a long string of torrid 16th notes that went on and on in an almost rapturous fashion. And then there are some notable examples from Suncoast Sound that give pause.

• Like 8

As far as mellophones are concerned, it's challenging to find books more difficult than Star of Indiana's 1991 "Roman Images" show.

But difficulty is kind of subjective. Lots and lots of notes are difficult, but so is playing something so in tune and with such a remarkable tone that it makes one shudder. I'm thinking a good example of this is Cavaliers' 2002 "Frameworks" and some recent Carolina Crown offerings, plus some rumbling examples from Phantom Regiment that rearranged my spleen and other vital organs.

A good number of Blue Devils' shows have had those insanely wicked soprano/trumpet features where they were riffing all together on a long string of torrid 16th notes that went on and on in an almost rapturous fashion. And then there are some notable examples from Suncoast Sound that give pause.

Funny thing about music, it can be stupid hard in so many different ways. I can always catch the insane runs and high stuff, but I know it goes way farther than that. I can kinda catch the other stuff (maybe after I get more into music theory?), just not as well I guess. It's like that in keyboard playing as well, chorale type stuff can be just as hard as insane keyboard runs, just in a different sense, right?

Edited by DrumManTx

Funny thing about music, it can be stupid hard in so many different ways. I can always catch the insane runs and high stuff, but I know it goes way farther than that. I can kinda catch the other stuff (maybe after I get more into music theory?), just not as well I guess. It's like that in keyboard playing as well, chorale type stuff can be just as hard as insane keyboard runs, just in a different sense, right?

Very good point - some books/parts are challenging due to technique, some are due to range, some are due to balance and intonation requirements, some are due to style, etc., etc.

I've been going to Finals ever since 1989, and saw my first show in 1985 while in high school (PBS broadcast). If I absolutely had to pick one book that was the hardest that I have ever seen/heard, for me it would have to be Crown's from last year. That book combines the insanely fast runs from Dreams with the Fanfare for the Common Man stuff, which is hard enough to play well with good intonation with a small brass ensemble, let alone like 70 brass.

Bertrand Moren's "Dreams" has also got to be one of, if not the most difficult source material ever as well. I was fortunate enough to hear the Fountain City Brass Band play one of the movements live this past Fall in a brass band competition (yes, they did win). There are difficult pieces to pull off, and then there is that piece in a category all by itself. I mentioned in another thread that there is a reason there aren't too many recordings of it...

Edited by Quad Aces

I thought Crown 2012 were the greatest DCI Brass Line ever. For me they sounded just about perfect.... big, bold and beautiful.

I'm not really qualified to say if it was the hardest book ever... it's certainly up there with the hardest ever I'd imagine.

As Mike says everything is subjective and I know some won't agree.

PR 1996 is another of amy all time favourites, the soprano parts are spine tingling at times.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 3

There was a time, back in the early 1980's when Don Angelica, (chief DCI judge administrator) and influential judges like Jim Unrath pushed corps in the direction of maximizing difficulty in brass books. While today's books have the added visual component that gives us the phrase "simultaneous responsibility" (the war cry of so many underachieving brass programs), there are a few brass books that stand out as "difficult" that are rarely matched even today:

1) 1985 Garfield Cadets

2) 1983 Santa Clara Vanguard

3) 1984 Madison Scouts

While these shows are rarely in the discussion of "best brass ever", they pushed the boundaries of difficulty that we've not seen much of since in terms of responsibility of the individual player for extended periods of time.

• Like 3

1) 1985 Garfield Cadets

2) 1983 Santa Clara Vanguard

3) 1984 Madison Scouts

I wish to take this opportunity to issue my yearly plea that when we refer to a specific show in the past, we give some additional info to refresh the minds of those who have seen those shows in person or on DVD or the Fan Network. Trust me on this...after seeing (and writing about in some capacity) over 400 World Class shows in Finals alone, things start to blend together.

My plea would result in the following:

1) 1985 Garfield Cadets: Jeremiah Symphony, Overture to Candide, Make Our Garden Grow

2) 1983 Santa Clara Vanguard: Giannini Symphony No. 3, On the Town, Appalachian Spring

3) 1984 Madison Scouts: Ballet in Brass, Waltz of the Mushroom Hunters, Memory (from "Cats")

With new shows, it's even easier because the shows have names.*Ex: 1991 Star of Indiana "Roman Images.") And one could abbreviate the above with older shows.

Please, just humor me. I'm well into the AARP years and I get excited when Metamucil comes out with a new, fizzier flavor to tickle my taste buds. Those who humor me will be rewarded in Heaven, and humoring me will keep them from getting there much earlier if we ever meet in a dark alley.

• Like 5

1988 Blue Devil is also a very hard brass book.