Hardest Hornline Books

I'm surprised Academy '08 wasn't mentioned. Before they watered it down was one hell of a book.

Bluecoats 07-08 had some fairly note filled books.

Cadets 08 in Vesuvius.

Blue Devils had a very difficult book this season (12) in terms of how many times the show changed styles musically

• Like 1

Yes our 1991 book was difficult but in my opinion hands down, no contest, the hardest brass book I have ever heard is 2012 Carolina Crown and not only was it hard they performed it incredibly :music::worthy::worthy::worthy:

• Like 5

We're not really considering the effect of the instrumentation here. I'd hazard a guess that "Legend of the One-Eyes Sailor" on valve rotors in 1976 was more than a bit harder than the same chart on 2 upright pistons in 1986 (playing with your thumbs and with the valve order reversed HAD to be a royal ##### if 76 was your first year on a G horn!)

• Like 2

We're not really considering the effect of the instrumentation here. I'd hazard a guess that "Legend of the One-Eyes Sailor" on valve rotors in 1976 was more than a bit harder than the same chart on 2 upright pistons in 1986 (playing with your thumbs and with the valve order reversed HAD to be a royal ##### if 76 was your first year on a G horn!)

So in that context, you'd put a '76 BD One Eyed Sailor up against '91 BD or '11 Crown?

Okay...one more time. I refer you to my screed above about putting some context into throwing out dates of corps shows.

Not doing so would be like me stating, "I remember January 9, 2007, thinking, 'Well, this changes everything,'" and not mentioning that the date was when Steve Jobs unveiled the original iPhone.

Some of you are gonna have some 'splainin' to do if I get to Heaven before you and manage to get myself on the good side of St. Peter.

Or to put it another way, maybe

http://www.corpsreps.com/

If you want to know what someone played in a given year, or if you want to not cause Mr. Boo to have an aneurysm, use the above link, type in the corps name, find the correlating date, and see what they did. :tongue::thumbup:

I think one that bears mention here is Vanguard 2003 (Pathways). The opening piece, "Orawa" was hard enough standing still (as I discovered while watching them attempt to play it during a standstill performance), but doing it with the corps divided on opposing goal lines remains for me one of the most difficult brass performances ever attempted. Gotta love the effort.

• Like 5

1991 Blue Devils worthy.gifworthy.gif

Conversations in Jazz - Commencement (from Adventures in Time) Amazon * Bird and Bela in B Flat (2nd Movement) * Bird and Bela in B Flat (3rd Movement)

Yes, 1991 BD seems like a good candidate.

1993 BD was also pretty difficult

A Don Ellis Portrait - Open Wide Amazon * Great Divide * Chain Reaction * Strawberry Soup Amazon *Niner-Two Amazon

• Like 1

Cadets 1997 and Crown 2012 are my top 2. I've played Year of the Dragon on euphonium, it really does require a virtuoso band to play sitting down. So many thirds in very fast, long 16th note runs. I can't imagine playing anything harder.

• Like 1