Changes Made Only For Finals..

88 BD balloons in opener?

They were in at least throughout last tour. we toured 2nd tour with them that year and was amazed that they had to probably bring a helium tank on tour to create that effect every night!!! I loved that show - just not while I was competing against it :rolleyes:

Later,

Mike

Here's an example of "changes made before finals" that went terribly bad...

The place, Ithaca New York, Cornel University for the 1974 DCI Finals. Many believed and would argue that the Madison Scouts were firmly poised to win it all, especially since they had soundly won prelims by almost an entire point over second place Anaheim.

This is a classic tale of, "If It Aint Broke, Don’t Fix It", as several staff members decided they couldn’t leave well enough alone by deciding just hours before finals to make a number of drill changes...The results were tragic with multiple mistakes and the changes had the effect of dulling their performance by causing the corps to hold back due to the overwhelming worry of not messing up.

It was a night of anguish.

From what the vets told us in my rookie year (actually, I think I heard this from Nikk) the, ah... spread... during Bacchanal in 91 was thrown in by Cesario just for Finals night. With no warning to the hornline.

BAC '91 - Added something at the end of the show. For the first time in many years, BAC didn't end the show with "Conquest."

That happened in Montreal in 1982. The crowd was so stoked that they screamed loud enough the horns on each side couldn't hear the horns on the other side. There was also a circumstance regarding the drum major count-off that has been mentioned on DCP a couple times. On the recording, the sides finished about an entire count apart.

I've watched this on the Fan Network It's pretty awful and great at the same time! A definite, classic finals moment!

• Like 1

BAC '91 - Added something at the end of the show. For the first time in many years, BAC didn't end the show with "Conquest."

GOD I wish they'd bring back a full rendition instead of just the recognizable hits. The only time I ever saw it live was 85 Prelims...and when they played it, the entire stadium became the BAC cheering section.

Can you imagine if they'd pulled it out for finals the first year they MADE finals??

On a side note....was BAC penalized for the 91 rendition, since it was after the show...or was that planned?

84BDSop - You pretty much answered your question. There was no penalty as we sped up the closer a tad and only played "the recognizable hits." We exited with seconds to spare. As much of the staff had been part of the "Axel F" penalty, they prefered to make us move faster.

The corps found out about the addition on the way to Dallas.