Pre-recorded Announcer

I wish more people realized this.

We should have a "national marching-music PA announcers" meeting so we can all air our gripes and pet peeves. :tongue:

• Like 1

There are pros and cons each way, but for the love of God, wait until Mr Crocker is no longer able to do it.

Mr. Crocker is terrible. When did he decide to introduce Drum Corps like they announce Wrestlers, with a raspy & rumbly voice? Maybe he was told to do this. His announcement of the Phantom Regiment isn't even understandable. Brandt was good when he spoke in his normal voice.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1

Proper Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance or P7 to those already worried about G7/MIM!

Oh, I know that...(but I had to Google it a few hours ago to find that out). I just didn't want to lower the bar of our discourse. (Like that's never happened before.)

Not saying I don't either. I once kissed the Sweet Corn Queen of Ankeny, Iowa :-)

Well, I must presume that you know Brandt lives in Ankeny...Or is the world really way, way too small?

Just making sure this extremely apt sentiment is noticed. It applies in so many ways. And well beyond this particular topic. :shutup:/>/>/>

May I hire you to be my PR agent?

• Like 1

There have been a number of instances where Brandt's or Dan's timing in terms of the placement was off by half a second or so, which put big horn hits over part of the announcement. The corps have created this issue by the change in the pre-show blah blah, but having a pre-recorded announcement that was started by one of the pit crew, and would be exactly the same each run-through, each performance, doesn't seem unreasonable.

They could still have Brandt do it, since doing voice over work these days requires a $200 mic and a Macbook, and you can do it in the comfort of your own studio at home.

but...it takes that live feeling out of it. It's been bad enough with this new canned music between groups at WGI and the blasto ads running on the jumobotron at DCI and DCA events

I get your point, and this is all "pie in the sky" stuff, but your example is no different than a microphone malfunctioning right now during a corps show, or if the speaker stacks suddenly shorted out. Especially with modern DCI - think of Cavaliers' Mad World drum feature where electric guitar met tuba - all sorts of timing is attached to electronic instruments and effects. Adding the announcement is just one more cue.

Don't worry, though, we still don't have the technology to create RoboBoo. tongue.gif/>

Mike

now imagine cavies show if their system crapped out

The Tom McCarthy and Chris Wheeler of... wait, that's a bad example. tongue.gif

well, ya had me til you brought up Wheeler. He must have pictures of Giles with farm animals. Poor Tmac...working with Wheels and Sarge has to be a challenge

• Like 1