Pre-recorded Announcer

...I really don't like where this conversation is headed. Can we please get back on subject?

Like I said a few posts back, the fork in the road change would not be accepted. So, please Crown, present your first post about the main topic.

For my first on topic post, the current method of announcing corps locally or regionally is fine.

Edited by Ghost

I'm honestly not completely sure where I stand on this one. I've been the PA Announcer for my alma mater's basketball and volleyball teams for 7 years now (among other various gigs here and there) so I know a little bit about announcing. I've been to a few local shows in the past where I thought the announcer was pretty terrible so a part of me wouldn't mind seeing a switch to an automated system. On the other hand, I love the feeling I get when I'm at the ATL show and I hear Mr. Crocker's voice LIVE. So it's really a toss up for me. Sorry if this doesn't add much to the conversation.

• Like 2

Well, if we're going to go this far, why not a pre-pre-show loop. "Welcome to ...", like they do at finals (I darn near have that thing memorized after wandering the souvies for 3 days). Play a PA to the arriving fans..."15 minutes 'til showtime", and have a running dialog about each corps. Most people will tune it out, the chatter volume in the stands will increase, some will want to hear a 10 second description of each show.... I can see this working pre-pre show, but once it starts the local announcer should pick it up.

The problem of mixing the two is that the local producer has to sound as excited as the loop dialog, or the local guy will come off flat, dry, and boring. I wouldn't even mind a pre-pre-show announcement before each corps. Say, timed to start 3 minutes before each pre-show while the pit and guard get all their crap out and in.

DCI now provides (sells) audio and video, pictures and posters to download for advertising and promotion. These loop segments could be sold to each TEP - even a corp TEP - to monetize the idea.

The downside is that older stadium audio systems are tinny, thin, and finicky - not the indoor sound system with PA speakers the size of a house like the Oil Can. Hopefully TEP's would know whether their system could handle the feed. I suppose DCI could produce a tech sheet with minimum requirements, sound system-wise.

Plus, with the G7 wanting to do away with, and replace, the TEP structure the market for such a product could be very limited.

Does anyone remember when the announcer would say " are the judges ready"? Aren't you glad they don't say that anymore?

One bit of nostalgia: "you may take the field for (championship) competition."

Another thing that's pretty cool is when Brandt Crocker announces [insert name of corps] followed by a huge entrance of sound! Love it... absolutely love it!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

Of course, the first person to design a portable sound rig that could be transported to each show - eliminate the "bad PA system" variable - could...

Hey, there are speakers on the field every night. Oh yea, let the corps' PA send out the loop. Problem solved. Can't monetize it.

Five minutes between corps. Applause takes some, the local guy makes a local announcement (thanks a sponsor), the signals the corps PA guy to start his loop.

Would require the sound guy to be set up first before the corps, and he has two minutes to do so. Even three? Can the corps sound guy and speakers get set up in 3 minutes?

(Evil G7 would probably say they want all five minutes; three's not enough time so kick out the local guy. Bast...!) I keed, I keed.

If the corps guy can't get set up in two or five minutes after the horns down from the prior corps, I don't see how you can have both a local guy and a produced pre-pre show intro done by each corps.

Maybe I'm clueless.

I'm kinda partial to live announcers. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Of course, the first person to design a portable sound rig that could be transported to each show - eliminate the "bad PA system" variable - could...

Hey, there are speakers on the field every night. Oh yea, let the corps' PA send out the loop. Problem solved. Can't monetize it.

Five minutes between corps. Applause takes some, the local guy makes a local announcement (thanks a sponsor), the signals the corps PA guy to start his loop.

Would require the sound guy to be set up first before the corps, and he has two minutes to do so. Even three? Can the corps sound guy and speakers get set up in 3 minutes?

(Evil G7 would probably say they want all five minutes; three's not enough time so kick out the local guy. Bast...!) I keed, I keed.

If the corps guy can't get set up in two or five minutes after the horns down from the prior corps, I don't see how you can have both a local guy and a produced pre-pre show intro done by each corps.

Maybe I'm clueless.

You're not clueless.

I've worked marching music shows at a variety of levels...DCA, DCI, marching band, for 30 years now... and honestly, the notion of "let's get the next performing unit on right away to eliminate any downtime" is where theory meets reality.

Theory: No downtime between units.

Reality: If a show sponsor wants any announcements made regarding in-event promotions, future show dates, whatever (and believe me, multiple promo announcements, etc., are the rule and not the exception at most shows I've worked)... there has to be some downtime between "acts."

One big reason..... no one is listening to what an announcer is saying while a corps is playing... whether that be a pre-show, a small-ensemble "between acts" performance, a "troop the stands after the performance" song, or the actual field show. So... if a sponsor/promoter wants their announcement actually heard, some downtime is needed.

Not that an announcer has carte blanche to go on and on. Anyone who's heard a show I have worked knows that I really do try to keep the chatter to a minimum between corps... unless there's an unexpected break in the show, then I go ahead and fill that time if needed. I'll give myself some credit as a pretty good ad-libber when necessary. :ph34r:

I've also worked shows where I've been the PA announcer... and a local celebrity (radio guy/gal, whoever) is also there, talking between corps. IMO, the "two announcer" thing in those cases is pretty awkward.

(I'm not talking about shows when there is another announcer who knows the product and who is talking during the breaks, as DCI does at some events with interviews and so forth... I'm talking about the "local celeb" who knows nothing about drum corps/band/whatever, and thus has no idea when to talk and when to stop. LOL)

The whole announcing thing is not as easy as simply turning on a microphone and talking.

Edited by Fran Haring

The whole announcing thing is not as easy as simply turning on a microphone and talking.

I wish more people realized this.

• Like 2