Pre-recorded Announcer

Why not have all of the announcements for every drum corps show pre-recorded by the same professional announcer?

This could be a great way to provide a more continuity across all events. They could just be made and put in a dropbox.

A simple Web-based scheduling and scoring app could be produced. Would have different role types (admin, judge, director, corps admin, corps staff, etc.).

Each role would have different activities (like judges entering scores, etc.).

The show admin would simply set up the schedule and would load the MP3 files... then just click the button to start each activity, which would automatically start the timing for that activity.

Software-based admin and operations of shows would absolutely provide a much more consistent and certainly organized experience. This is also not something complicated to build... this is hobby project stuff that could be knocked out in a couple of weekends.

Anyway, just thinking out loud...

Yuck, no local flavor? And no chance to include local celebrities or plug local sponsors, or to build excitement among local spectators to get involved in local programs. No chance to thank particular local schools or supportive band directors, or the local mayor. No telling people where the bathrooms are, or to plug the food merchants. No chance to tell people about tomorrow's show in the next town if they want to see more, or the exhibition the local corps is doing at the steps of the capital building the next morning. Too mechanized and cookie-cutter, in my opinion. And what does message does it send local organizers that they can't be trusted to do the announcements? But if that's what people want, it's certanily doable.

I actually think the current totally-scripted announcements are too cookie-cutter already. I understand why they are the way they are, but I also think allowing more local leeway would liven things up.

Edited by scottgordon
  • Like 2

Purely for "on the field..." I think it's a good idea, especially as that way you could keep the timing consistent from preshow to full show. But as Scott said, I think the in between stuff needs that local announcer for the venue-specific material that goes on.

Mike

• Like 1

There are pros and cons each way, but for the love of God, wait until Mr Crocker is no longer able to do it.

• Like 6

I'm lucky....for never marching in DCI, I was able to perform at DCI and have THAT voice announce my corps. And in all of my years in DCA, the dulcet tones of Fran Haring brought us on the field....to this day I can still hear Fran's voice announcing us world Champions.

I'm sure someday it'll go electronic. But for the love of God, let Brandt and Fran...hell even Dan Potter...do what they're doing until they decide they do not want to or can't.

I grew up listening to Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn call Phillies games....Brandt and Fran are drum corps Harry the K and Whitey, their Madden and Summerall....let em go til they don't want to

• Like 1

Maybe go back to designing shoes? :tongue:

• Like 7

Why not have all of the announcements for every drum corps show pre-recorded by the same professional announcer?

This could be a great way to provide a more continuity across all events. They could just be made and put in a dropbox.

A simple Web-based scheduling and scoring app could be produced. Would have different role types (admin, judge, director, corps admin, corps staff, etc.).

Each role would have different activities (like judges entering scores, etc.).

The show admin would simply set up the schedule and would load the MP3 files... then just click the button to start each activity, which would automatically start the timing for that activity.

Software-based admin and operations of shows would absolutely provide a much more consistent and certainly organized experience. This is also not something complicated to build... this is hobby project stuff that could be knocked out in a couple of weekends.

Anyway, just thinking out loud...

There's no other professional organization that has automated announcers for LIVE events.... Why is that even an issue? The other stuff is fine but automated announcers leave those for telophone calls....

• Like 1

We already have a professional announcer; his name is Brandt Crocker.

I've interviewed plenty of DCI corps members over the years whom have stated that it really hit them that they were at the big shows when they heard Brandt's voice announce their corps, the same voice they've heard on years and years of DCI recordings.

I've enjoyed that feeling twice now with CV. It's incredible. I very nearly auditioned for drum major this winter, and it was admittedly in some small part because of the thought of hearing Brandt ask me if my corps was ready.