Pre-recorded Announcer

I like the idea of each corps being able to decide how (or even if) they are announced. The formula that DCI has used in the past is, at times, awkward and wordy. If a corps wants to announce itself, live or sequenced (Cavaliers did this a couple years back), great. If they don't want an announcement at all, that's great too.

well maybe if DCI cuts back on the spewage announcers are forced to say, it'd be easier.

• Like 1

You're not clueless.

I've worked marching music shows at a variety of levels...DCA, DCI, marching band, for 30 years now... and honestly, the notion of "let's get the next performing unit on right away to eliminate any downtime" is where theory meets reality.

Theory: No downtime between units.

Reality: If a show sponsor wants any announcements made regarding in-event promotions, future show dates, whatever (and believe me, multiple promo announcements, etc., are the rule and not the exception at most shows I've worked)... there has to be some downtime between "acts."

One big reason..... no one is listening to what an announcer is saying while a corps is playing... whether that be a pre-show, a small-ensemble "between acts" performance, a "troop the stands after the performance" song, or the actual field show. So... if a sponsor/promoter wants their announcement actually heard, some downtime is needed.

Not that an announcer has carte blanche to go on and on. Anyone who's heard a show I have worked knows that I really do try to keep the chatter to a minimum between corps... unless there's an unexpected break in the show, then I go ahead and fill that time if needed. I'll give myself some credit as a pretty good ad-libber when necessary. ph34r.gif

I've also worked shows where I've been the PA announcer... and a local celebrity (radio guy/gal, whoever) is also there, talking between corps. IMO, the "two announcer" thing in those cases is pretty awkward.

(I'm not talking about shows when there is another announcer who knows the product and who is talking during the breaks, as DCI does at some events with interviews and so forth... I'm talking about the "local celeb" who knows nothing about drum corps/band/whatever, and thus has no idea when to talk and when to stop. LOL)

The whole announcing thing is not as easy as simply turning on a microphone and talking.

and then There's the guy that won't die at lewisburg....

Mr. Crocker is terrible. When did he decide to introduce Drum Corps like they announce Wrestlers, with a raspy & rumbly voice? Maybe he was told to do this. His announcement of the Phantom Regiment isn't even understandable. Brandt was good when he spoke in his normal voice.

hate to tell ya, but more people hype on that than don't. In fact...go to a show he isn't working, and listen to people mimic Brandt in the stands over top of the guy working the show

Why not record Brandt then, and use his intros for every corps at every show?

Mike

It's worth admitting that this would probably allow his voice to grace DCI for even longer than it might if he had to attend all of the major shows each year.

I understand; but part of the excitement of being at a live show is it's LIVE.

I'm not suggesting this would be one step on the way to having all corps record their shows in a studio and then just march the drills to the pre-recorded music. (Though given time, someone else might suggest that. No names, please.) But there's something about the live variables that can happen at any time that makes the "must be there" quotient that much higher for any show.

Imagine the members knowing the announcement is going to be exact and perfect each and every time, and they learn to cue off that. And then at the big show, something goes wrong with the computer connection or the staff member responsible for activating the sound patch has gas and everything (except the gas) flies out the window.

Knowing things might not be the same at every show helps keep the members sharp and poised to deal with the times when everything isn't the same at every show.

I think music acts still pack arenas, streets, and clubs for many of these same reasons. A perfectly-produced CD is great, but nothing quite matches the feeling of something happening live in front of you, and I think that includes the personalities that herald the arrival of drum corps in an exciting and organic way.

The only way I could see something like this working is if a corps uses a running start, where the announcement has to come at a very specific point, or else the effect is lost. Crown in 2009 springs to mind, where the first hit completely covers up the announcement; or SCV the same year, where the cue to start the actual show came from the announcement. Having something consistent would be great, but then it would remove the job of the show announcer. Someone else mentioned recording Brandt Crocker, I'd be down for that. I can't even describe how much it hyped me up to hear him announce my corps onto the field, I would love that at every show if I were a member.

Someone else mentioned recording Brandt Crocker, I'd be down for that.

Unless I'm remembering something I dreamed, SCV recorded Brandt for their "The Devil's Staircase" intro in 2011. Can anyone with the corps verify this discussion I had with Brandt a couple years ago?

I heard a Crocker interview where he talked about his announcing style. Early on (the first year?) he decided to repeat the score when announcing. He did this so people would have an opportunity to write down the scores. This was at a time when you had to wait days or weeks to read the scores. He talked about announcing ties at finals and having to think on the spot when the time occurred. These are improvisations you won't get with a pre recorded snippet. Add emotion in the voice or a unique situation, ie a corps is running late to a show because of an accident or a significant weather condition. You need a live human behind the mic just in case anyway, so now we are really just talking about adding another layer to announcing and not just changing it from live to recorded.

As far as local flavor goes, we would miss things like Paul Cain standing on the feild with a hand held mic and saying "Corps X YOU may enter the field.....". This is just an example, there are countless others.

I will say that if a corps wants to use a pre recorded voice in the pre show for timing purposes, then why not. But let's keep it simple and not fix something that isn't broken.

<edit note: I stand corrected, I didn't hear a Crocker interview, I had read an article written by Mr. Boo. My apologies!>

Edited by jonnyboy

I can't even describe how much it hyped me up to hear him announce my corps onto the field, I would love that at every show if I were a member.

But I don't think the hype would be the same at all if it was just a recording of him. I bet a lot of that feeling is that HE is announcing you onto the field, right then... that you've made it to the big stage and the voice of drumcorps is personally presenting you. If it were just a recording, night after night, the same voice for every corps at every venue in every town, whether or not he has ever even heard of you or ever sees you, don't you think that particular hype would fade quickly? Heck, you'd probably be playing the same announcement every day at rehearsal.

How much do you suppose big events pay Michael Buffer to say "let's get ready to rumble!", rather than just using a recording of him?

Live entertainment isn't about consistency - it's about people making art right then and there, about allowing for new experiences that haven't happened before.

Edited by scottgordon
  • Like 1

Slightly OT - my apologies - but as far as set up time goes, why not have a DCI "standard" sound setup that is on the field from start to finish - one that the corps plug in to while out there, but don't take with them at the end? Would that simplify the setup / sound check process any? (Serious question - I'm a novice when it comes to that kind of stuff.)

Mike