Visual Correction on Tour

I honestly don't remember too many hassles of wearing glasses on tour. I stopped wearing them for shows at some point mid-tour (I think I did that my age-out, but I don't recall) after a super windy night that blew my shako around and screwed up my glasses on my face. I'm near-sighted, so it didn't really affect me too much on the field. I think I wore them in rehearsal as an excuse to wear prescription sun glasses (which were otherwise not allowed :satisfied: ).

I've never worn contacts, and I don't remember any big problems on tour. I had a strap so they would slide down by face. If I had to do it different, given what everyone here is saying, I might've tried contacts (I don't remember anyone trying to talk me into ditching glasses for contacts at that time). Odd as it may seem, I've always dug glasses as a fashion accessory, and I like wearing glasses; looking at pictures from when I marched, I wish I would've had more stylish glasses back then (I'm fairly sure even when I marched my glasses were old/out of style and kinda goofy - I think I go way hipper glasses my age-out season, but my rookie year? yikes)

FWIW my wife wore contacts as much as she could, and her comment was something to the effect of, "the contacts then were no where near as comfortable as they are now; I can' t imagine seriously thinking of glasses over contacts now-a-days."

I wore glasses the whole time in 2003. It's very scary when everything fogs up and you can't see anything.

I did, too, when I marched... and that was before the days of the high-speed visual shows of today.

There was one show I remember in particular... in 1979... when my glasses were so fogged up I couldn't see anything, almost literally... and like you said, it was scary... even with the less-demanding drill. I can't even imagine what it would be like to not be able to see well while on the run in a modern-day show.

If I had to do it over again, I would have switched to contact lenses... even though those lenses were not as good/easy to take care of as the ones available today.

Contacts all the way from my perspective.

Talk to your eye care practitioner about "AIR OPTIX® NIGHT & DAY® AQUA". They're FDA approved for 30 days continuous wear. I used to have a lot of eye irritations and issues. Once I found these contacts, they all went away. I also found that the more I poked at my eye putting contacts in & taking them out, the more issues that I had... especially on tour when conditions weren't always the most "sanitary".

As a general statement though... definitely discuss it with your eye care practitioner. Explain to them what you're doing. They may have some other suggestions as far as contact choice.

Contacts are definitely the way to go. Just make sure you have plenty of spares, a few extra cases and lots of solution. Also, wearing contacts as opposed to glasses makes it far easier to wear sunglasses, which you should *always* wear when rehearsing in the bright sun.

Sidebar: If you march one of those corps with a visual staff that bans sunglasses, string said visual staff up and beat the crap out of them for being incredibly stupid.

• Like 2

I've worn glasses for almost 50 years. Until I had cataract surgery three years ago, (which also eliminated my need to wear glasses for anything other than reading and making things just a little bit sharper), I couldn't see anything with my severe near-sightedness if I didn't wear glasses. I know I couldn't have worn contacts because I was super freaked out by anything that got near my eyes, (including glaucoma test air puffs). I'm sure there are others that have that problem. Some people just can't wear contacts.

Contacts are definitely the way to go. Just make sure you have plenty of spares, a few extra cases and lots of solution. Also, wearing contacts as opposed to glasses makes it far easier to wear sunglasses, which you should *always* wear when rehearsing in the bright sun.

Sidebar: If you march one of those corps with a visual staff that bans sunglasses, string said visual staff up and beat the crap out of them for being incredibly stupid.

I hear ya, John... sunglasses are a must. Can help save someone from a lot of problems later in life.

• Like 1

sunglasses are just as important as wearing a hat and sunscreen for rehearsals (imo)

Amen brother.... agree with as important as sunblock....

Few years back went from bigger lenses to ones about 2" by 1". Fits under the shako a lot better and because the lens is smaller it is also less thick (something I didn't realize :doh:/> ). No idea if they fog up less but an idea if people can't use contacts.

Works fine with lined bifocals too (OK I'm old)....

s/ Guy who is over 20/200 in one eye.....

PS to Fran.... might have been at the same show I mentioned earlier, Brick(?), NJ in a typhoon same day as DCI East....

Edited by JimF-LowBari