Visual Correction on Tour

I honestly thought this thread was about the Visual techs calling out ticks and making you adjust a half step etc. and how that is annoying based on the thread title.

Ha:

For those of us who weren't granted with perfect step size, how annoying is having to deal with visual correction on tour? Which do you prefer, dot or by form?

(shoots himself for bringing up age-out/tired argument)

I wear glasses, but my first three summers I went without them for the summer (except for non-prescription sunglasses).

By my fourth year, my vision had become worse, so I wore glasses for shows and non-sunny days. World of difference. I know a lot of folks like contacts, and that's fine, but I don't think I would ever switch.

Then again, I wore an aussie, and I don't think I could have worn the glasses with a shako.

I did, too, when I marched... and that was before the days of the high-speed visual shows of today.

There was one show I remember in particular... in 1979... when my glasses were so fogged up I couldn't see anything, almost literally... and like you said, it was scary... even with the less-demanding drill. I can't even imagine what it would be like to not be able to see well while on the run in a modern-day show.

Is that why there was this single solitary guy in a Sunriser uniform marching around in the endzone when the rest of the corps was marching at midfield?

:tongue:

• Like 1

I'm blessed since my vision isn't horrible when I'm not wearing glasses, but I've personally found wearing glasses for myself to be a better and easier solution than wearing contacts.

I've found contacts on tour to be a real hassle, especially when I need to take them out on the bus to sleep and accidentally spill my contact solution everywhere. It's also relatively easy to lose your contacts on tour if you're not super careful.

To deal with the sunglasses issue, I just went to Walmart and bought myself a nice pair of clip-ons smile.gif Those things can be stylish wink.gif

In Reading it was real easy. Prescription sunglasses did the job. We were lucky we had an optometrist who was in the color guard and we all gave him our prescription and a week later about 20 of us had prescription sunglasses that didn't slip off or fog up.

One of the advantages to marching Senior.....lol

Edited by Bucbari

Is that why there was this single solitary guy in a Sunriser uniform marching around in the endzone when the rest of the corps was marching at midfield?

Thank God you weren't judging visual that day. :tongue:

PS to Fran.... might have been at the same show I mentioned earlier, Brick(?), NJ in a typhoon same day as DCI East....

My "fog-out" show in 1979 was in NY... Gloversville, I'm pretty sure. It was always ridiculously humid at that venue.

That Brick NJ show... wow. A story for another day. I'm amazed no one was seriously hurt or killed that evening.

That Brick NJ show... wow. A story for another day. I'm amazed no one was seriously hurt or killed that evening.

Our DM was almost hit when a (BIG) bulb popped out of the portible lighting that was swaying back and forth during the concert number. We all saw it happen but it landed behind him and did he jump straight up.

Yeah lotsa stories that day... like we couldn't find the stadium to start.....

I've worn glasses while field marching since my freshman year of high school (and had glasses since I was about 8). I've never really had a problem with them, except occasionally slipping down the nose, which is fixed easily by either having the arms adjusted (which I can get done quickly for free at Costco), or a strap of some sort.

Last season, I never wore sunglasses, as I never felt the need having a hat, and one of our techs did tell us not to wear them (me being a rookie and him being very[!] experienced and a bit intimidating, I took his word for it). Being near-sighted, I did occasionally do sections of rehearsal and full runs without my glasses without much of a problem, but for shows I always wore them. My corps' hats being baseball caps, there wasn't much of a problem in that department.

I've given thought to getting contacts, but I've haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll look into maybe getting them before the season starts, or prescription sunglasses.

Aside: I say "being" a lot. Human being. Alien being. Bee-ing. One of the fields we rehearsed on was covered in bees (or a similar insect) in 99-degree weather. I'll get off the stream of consciousness train before it leads to the darker corners of my mind.