Dynasty Horns/Percussion

Hey, I can make a Dynasty bari sound great... but it take a #### ton more effort than making a Yamaha baritone sound great. Their euphs weren't awful... but it's still a bit away from the Yamaha and King ultimate euphs. Even the Jupiter euph plays better.

You really can make any horn sound great. I can make a Bundy student trombone sound good (up to a point). Dynasty horns are not the easiest horns to play out there. Really makes those BD lines that sounded decent that much more impressive. Although their low brass never really impressed me until they actually switched from Kings. I think the lines since 2010 have sounded much better... I do know that is not all because of the horns. There is other stuff that is going on at BD why they have a fuller sound now. I like it... it's still BD.. not as tinny sounding as before though.

Sorry... got on a little side rant there. I've never played a Dynasty horn that I liked to play on. Not saying you can't sound good on them... I just personally haven't liked them... I thought they were crap compared to other stuff on the market.

Totally agreed. I've played on the Dynasty low brass. They definitely made some noise, but the sound was not great and they just felt "clunky" all around. The Jupiter euph is MILES ahead of them.

And yes, you can hear a huge difference from the BD Dynasty lines to the lines of the last couple years. Balance, general sound, quality are all ten times better now.

Totally agreed. I've played on the Dynasty low brass. They definitely made some noise, but the sound was not great and they just felt "clunky" all around. The Jupiter euph is MILES ahead of them.

And yes, you can hear a huge difference from the BD Dynasty lines to the lines of the last couple years. Balance, general sound, quality are all ten times better now.

Very true. I went from a Dynasty line to a Yamaha line, and the difference was huge. Especially in terms of ergonomics and moving the horn. The Yamaha was much better balanced, and required much less effort to move around. And there was far less chance of popping the braces, which happened a lot on the Dynasty horns. I still think the Jupiter is the best balanced horn, but I don't think they sound open and dark enough for my liking.

BD sounds much different now with their new line. Those King horns give them a much richer sound they have been missing for awhile. Even though I'm still not a big fan of theirs, that brass has sounded great since 2011.

Not a really huge fan of the Die Nasty's. They're really durable though, threw my sop at a brick wall and made a hole. The horn was ok :tongue:

Don't know anything about their horns, but the days of Dynasty being an inferior percussion product are long gone. They hold up better than anything else on the market, and their sound is competitive with the best of them, particularly with the advent of the new free floaters. They're also competitive in the front ensemble department, with a slight advantage considering the extreme durability and reliability of their frames.

• Like 2

I had a student accidently drop a Dynasty trumpet from the back of the stands at a high school football game. It fell about 50 ft to the ground.... and it played better.

I'm glad it was his and not a school horn. I have no love for the horns.

• Like 1

Did the Spartans stop using Dynasty?

Last I checked, the Spartans are using Dynasty drums and System Blue horns.

Mapex? ewwwww! Their tenors sound like doo doo. The snares are weak at best. I have to say the basses sound good. Their "pit" equipment is pathetic. Horns i don't know but they look cheap.

This is just silly. The quads and snares can sound great when tuned well, just like every single other brand of drums out there. The front ensemble equipment was not up to par at first, but Majestic has really been stepping up their concert percussion game lately, so I expect the outdoor stuff to follow suit.

• Like 2

Don't know anything about their horns, but the days of Dynasty being an inferior percussion product are long gone. They hold up better than anything else on the market, and their sound is competitive with the best of them, particularly with the advent of the new free floaters. They're also competitive in the front ensemble department, with a slight advantage considering the extreme durability and reliability of their frames.

I'm still of the school of front where the frames were all metal square tubing. I'm glad they've chosen to emulate Adams in this respect.

However, the keys are absolute refuse. The xylophone keys used to crack from playing with standard Vic mallets. The vibe keys' paint would erode and you'd be left with different-color keys. And the marimbas go crazy out of tune in the heat. Yamaha really has the woods figured out. Use that as a reference.

I'm still of the school of front where the frames were all metal square tubing. I'm glad they've chosen to emulate Adams in this respect.

However, the keys are absolute refuse. The xylophone keys used to crack from playing with standard Vic mallets. The vibe keys' paint would erode and you'd be left with different-color keys. And the marimbas go crazy out of tune in the heat. Yamaha really has the woods figured out. Use that as a reference.

When was the last time you used a Dynasty board? They have made a lot of changes in the last couple of years. I can say from personal experience, the issues you're talking about are no longer issues.