Snare vs Tenor vs Bass

Grooves and licks  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which battery instrument do you like to hear/see a sweet groove, lick, or solo from the most?

Gotta go bass here (I know I'm biased! :p). Especially when the top two hit a squib perfectly, it's really BA.

From a horn-line member:

When I marched I loved that we had tri-toms, congas, timbales and bongos; so, I'd guess that today's tenor lines would be the equivalent. My real percussion-love was tympani though, and the modern basses follow a (roughly) similar process of old tymp lines. I voted Basses :tongue:

• Like 1

you want to look at the difference between crowd reaction for a bass break or a snare break?

Bluecoats 08.

case closed

• Like 3

I think even the uneducated fans of drum corps (brass/guard folks) realize the difficulty in playing bass drum. Therefore, when a well written bass part clicks it gets a better response. Most people in the audience do not recognize or even hear the difference between a flam drag or a flam ratamacue. A snare break would get less of a response unless the is some sort of visual kick-assery.

Jeff Ream, I voted you up from -1. Obviously you were the victim of a snare drummer's ire.

• Like 1

I think even the uneducated fans of drum corps (brass/guard folks) realize the difficulty in playing bass drum. Therefore, when a well written bass part clicks it gets a better response. Most people in the audience do not recognize or even hear the difference between a flam drag or a flam ratamacue. A snare break would get less of a response unless the is some sort of visual kick-assery.

Jeff Ream, I voted you up from -1. Obviously you were the victim of a snare drummer's ire.

not the first time I have ###### off a snare player, nor will it be the last. I expect it to happen next weekend. In fact, I'll ###### if it doesn't happen.

For me (with bias of course) it is tenors that impress me the most. Yes, I completely appreciate every other section of the battery and pit, but watching 4 or 5 tenor players really rip of a solo section, or a nasty groove is what does it for me.

I think of ones that stick out to me:

Cadets 2000

BD 1995

Madison 1994

Not to say those are the only ones that are "the best," but ones that have really stuck with me over the years.

• Like 1

Generally, I prefer snare licks. There have been too many too count, but Cadets 2003 snare work in Malaguena is one of my all time favorites. Madison Scouts "Funny" in 1992. And of course the "flamenco" plastic drumming from BD in 1994.

For tenors everyone mentions Cadets 2000 (justifiably), but Cadets 1993 has some awesome tenor runs.

Bass runs don't usually do much for me, but the Blue Devils bass line at the conclusion of their 2002 show is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Of course, as Garfield (?) posted earlier, interplay between the battery sections is always best. Madison Scouts "La Danza Pasillo" in 1995 is my favorite of these.

Generally, I prefer snare licks. There have been too many too count, but Cadets 2003 snare work in Malaguena is one of my all time favorites. Madison Scouts "Funny" in 1992. And of course the "flamenco" plastic drumming from BD in 1994.

For tenors everyone mentions Cadets 2000 (justifiably), but Cadets 1993 has some awesome tenor runs.

Bass runs don't usually do much for me, but the Blue Devils bass line at the conclusion of their 2002 show is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Of course, as Garfield (?) posted earlier, interplay between the battery sections is always best. Madison Scouts "La Danza Pasillo" in 1995 is my favorite of these.

They had an INSANE bass line that year, one of my favorite drumline shows. So many tasty licks in it. Love the other ones you mentioned as well, Madison 92's one of my favorite drum features along with Crossmen from that year, really enjoyed how wet the snares sounded as compared to how they sound now.

Edited by DrumManTx

Which is why hearing a great bass drum lick always does me in. The snares may be the fighter pilots, but without the bass drummers, those fighter jets have no fuel to take off.

It's one thing to get a bunch of snare drummers to play the exact same thing, but it's another thing to get a bunch of bass drummers playing a number of different parts so that they sound like one person is playing the lick.

I have to go with Mike on this one. It makes a huge difference when five people have to play asynchronous parts and make it sound like one.

Gotta go bass here (I know I'm biased! :p). Especially when the top two hit a squib perfectly, it's really BA.

What is a squib?

• Like 1