A Hunch; A Question

Stu

Let them fail.

Replace them with new ones that are built from zero based on best practices, with well-trained management and proper boards.

Part of the reason why it is acceptable for organizations to be so poorly run is that there is an emotional or sentimental attachment.

It is better to shift the mindset to something a bit more like a sports franchise where it can move or change names or be shut down or replaced.

Quality of experience (for both participant and audience) is far more important than one the name of the group was or what color they were wearing or what city they were from or what quirky traditions they might have had.

3 months of eating well and being treated as a professional trumps decades of history.

well, you kind of contradict yourself here. part of why so many sports franchises do so well on the books is because of traditions and locations. The Dalls Cowboys probably wouldn't be as marketable as say the Tulsa Cowboys, or the Newark Yankees wouldn't do as well as the New York Yankees.

There's a ton of money spent in the sports world on branding, and location plays a huge part of that

That is a disaster scenario.

Look, if there really is a massive demand out there for kids to participate in drum corps and for people to sit through a show with loads and loads of corps... new corps will spring up to replace those that fail. The situation will solve itself.

Right now, the fact that some corps out there struggle to fill their lines and stadiums aren't exactly filled to capacity, suggests that supply of drum corps is greater than demand for the product in current form.

Lower the barrier to entry for participation or change the ticket prices, the demand might change... but there is an oversupply of drum corps that cost $3,000 to participate in with tickets at more than 50 bucks a pop.

you're the one that just made a comparison to being like sports. well in sports, the league has a lot more power than what Dan A and the office has

Yea, you're not right either.

I said it was the most 'accurate' info. DCI was not made aware of the problem with Teal until they were out on the road, then DCI attempted to help get them home; that is verifiable information.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Yes, the MiM shows are listed equally, without differentiation, on the DCI website within the schedule as Music in Motion just like other local shows are listed such as Music on the Move and Drums of Summer link. This equal listing by DCI implies that MiM shows are just like any other DCI sanctioned local show.

They are just like all the other DCI shows to the average person attending a show, as John stated.

I fear this is true, but I'm not convinced.

Consumers make buying decisions all the time that are based on principal and I think that if fans knew the details of the G7 and what they tried to do, and what they talk about doing, those fans, or some of them, would make a buying decision that considers the impact of the G7's apparent intentions. A natural resistance to change might cause some portion of the fandom to rally around DCI in an attempt to retain the activity that they appreciate. That dynamic could very well swing the attendance towards DCI on principal and fear of change. That is, if they knew about it, which is, I think, Stu's primary point - that it was withheld (and I think he contends it was held intentionally).

To ignore the possibility that a fan revolt on principal and fear of change would not be a good business practice for the G7. I suspect that the non-G7 corps consider it heavily.

There are not all that many shows in a lot of the country. I just doubt that any significant number would behave as you suggest. Example...if I was a band director wanting to take a busload or two of MB kids to a drum corps show to see the very best marching/music units, and the only show nearby was a TOC show, of course I'd bring them to the show.

well, you kind of contradict yourself here. part of why so many sports franchises do so well on the books is because of traditions and locations. The Dalls Cowboys probably wouldn't be as marketable as say the Tulsa Cowboys, or the Newark Yankees wouldn't do as well as the New York Yankees.

There's a ton of money spent in the sports world on branding, and location plays a huge part of that

Yet the Cadets have been equally marketable from Garfield, Bergenfield, Allentown... as the would be from Scranton, Detroit or Gary, Indiana.

Completely irrelevant where a touring group that doesn't really draw on local talent or even perform much locally is actually based.

• Like 1

Yet the Cadets have been equally marketable from Garfield, Bergenfield, Allentown... as the would be from Scranton, Detroit or Gary, Indiana.

Completely irrelevant where a touring group that doesn't really draw on local talent or even perform much locally is actually based.

The fact that DCI corps pretty much ignore their local towns also explains why many DCI corps do not have a strong local 'fan' base.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

The fact that DCI corps pretty much ignore their local towns also explains why many DCI corps do not have a strong local 'fan' base.

Not all of them do, but a few big names really aren't doing themselves any favors in the PR department, that's for sure.

notice I did say kinda contradict. And I wouldn't say the Cadets have been super successful, but they have kept the brand alive. However, the San Andreas Vanguard doesn't have the same appeal now does it?

as for sports...they do not tour, but they play away games. Until last year, if you wanted good seats to see say the orioles, you could go any game at their park and get great seats game day...unless the NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox or Philadelphia Phillies were in town. Hell, the Washington Nationals tried to set up road blocks to Phillies fans getting seats in their park because they took over