A Hunch; A Question

Stu

Retracted; DCI has changed all of the Music in Motion Shows to TOC.

The shows listed on the DCI website schedule have underlying titles (i.e. Innovations in Brass, Show of Shows, Thunder in Drums, Innovations in Brass, Percussion on the Pearl, Music on the Boarder, Music on the March, ...), and they are all listed in a similar manner. My hunch is that most all who will be attending these various shows do not follow the forums on DCP or pay close attention to the internal aspects of DCI; and therefore these fans will have no clue whatsoever that the Music in Motion shows are not 'DCI' shows. My question is this: Does this lack of differentiation of the MiM shows by DCI in their own schedule create a false implication to the fans?

Edited by Stu

The shows listed on the DCI website schedule have underlying titles (i.e. Innovations in Brass, Show of Shows, Thunder in Drums, Innovations in Brass, Percussion on the Pearl, Music on the Boarder, Music on the March, ...), and they are all listed in a similar manner. My hunch is that most all who will be attending these various shows do not follow the forums on DCP or pay close attention to the internal aspects of DCI; and therefore these fans will have no clue whatsoever that the Music in Motion shows are not 'DCI' shows. My question is this: Does this lack of differentiation of the MiM shows by DCI in their own schedule create a false implication to the fans?

No. Most fans don't care who hosts a show or why. They care about two things (not counting ancillary issues like ticket cost): City/venue, and what corps are in the show. That's it. None of the rest really matters.

• Like 9

No. Most fans don't care who hosts a show or why. They care about two things (not counting ancillary issues like ticket cost): City/venue, and what corps are in the show. That's it. None of the rest really matters.

This is true I think... but I also think fans would be interested to know what is going on and might change their actions if they had more information. It's why politicians fight the PR war because if you win the perception, the actual facts don't matter.

• Like 1

I agree. For fun I asked a few of my HS students who follow drum corps a little bit if they knew anything about the MiM/'the 7' thing. They didn't, asked what I meant, and as I started explaining they got glassy-eyed and stopped listening, really. They stated pretty much what you say above: they care about how close a show is to them, what the probability is of them traveling to get to the show (i.e. is the show 'in town' with a short drive, do they have to drive outside the county to get to the show, outside the state, etc), and who is at the show. I was told by most/all of the kids that if corps they "like" or "know are real good" are at the show, they will try to go. If the line-up isn't as appealing, they won't try to go. Pretty simple.

On that same note, I consider my parents as the "average fan." They go to some local shows, but don't really follow who's winning nationally, who's playing what, etc. let alone any politics. If the local show has a line-up of corps they like, they might go to the show. If it has corps they're not interested in, they won't go.

Those folks, and, I suspect, the average fan, don't care about politics, or show name, or anything like that. They only know, "I like the corps line-up in the show close to me so I'm going." Or maybe even, "I like drum corps so I'm supporting the local show." Only us ding dongs care about the nitty gritty and goofy politics of summer marching band :tongue:

I think, aside from the show's Title and who is running it (DCI or MIM), you have to consider, what percentage of fans purchase their tickets online via DCI.org for any given show? And, are the MIM shows being advertised on DCI.org as well? If they are not, then some people may not even know there is a show with X corps performing locally...they may just go to the nearest DCI hosted show without even knowing about this movement.

:hmmm:

... are the MIM shows being advertised on DCI.org as well?

Yes, the MiM shows are listed equally, without differentiation, on the DCI website within the schedule as Music in Motion just like other local shows are listed such as Music on the Move and Drums of Summer link. This equal listing by DCI implies that MiM shows are just like any other DCI sanctioned local show.

Yes, the MiM shows are listed equally, without differentiation, on the DCI website within the schedule as Music in Motion just like other local shows are listed such as Music on the Move and Drums of Summer link. This equal listing by DCI implies that MiM shows are just like any other DCI sanctioned local show.

Ok, I see it now on the website. Yeah, then in that case, for those not actively involved in the inner workings of drum corps and all the details, I would say yes, they would all be "Drum Corps [international] Shows" in the eyes of the general ticket-buyer.

Would the general show spectator care that all this is happening? I'm not sure I could answer that one

So are they DCI sanctioned events??? Why would DCI list anything if they have nothing to do with the shows.

Absolutely. Venue and lineup. And ticket price/availability.