Drum corps fights

Never heard what happened to that kid. He's probably in jail, dead, a cop, or a judge now... haha

You left out the most likely possibility...a politician.

You left out the most likely possibility...a politician.

haha... you won't believe it, but I was about to include that too...

Oh c'mon.. Reilly had a reputation of being such sweethearts :devil:/>

For the younger set, Reilly had a black uni and Gestapo style hat worn low. IOW - probably the original DC bad ### in looks and attitude. You hadda have a 'tude to look like the Gestapo right after WWII. :blink:/>

Hope I have the right DM with the right corps, but I believe Bill Hooton was the RR DM and used to move so the judges would have to move away from the section they were judging.

Hope I have the right DM with the right corps, but I believe Bill Hooton was the RR DM and used to move so the judges would have to move away from the section they were judging.

LOL have read that before but forget if it was Wild Bill Hooten who did it. Been reading NanciDs history blog and see he was with a few corps over the years. Too bad I didn't discover corps until Reilly was done competing (but have some CDs).

Playing the devils advocate here. If there was a legitimate penalty, the T&P judge would have had no reason to have a worried look on his face, nor would he have had a reason to come to Schlecta about it. He'd just hand in his score sheet. However, if he had made a mistake on the sheet, and wrote down a penalty then realized it was a mistake, he would have had a reason to look worried, and a reason to come to Schlecta. It would also make sense of Schlecta's response "Now fill it out right." In other words, correct that stupid mistake you made. Now, I have not talked to any of the players, and do not know what happened. But it is a reasonable explanation for the worried look and Schlecta's quoted response. To support the other view, one would have to believe that Schlecta wanted an upstart corps beat a corps that had won VFW several times. As we know, Schlecta favored corps and units that came to VFW all the time and particularly, those that won. All one had to do was see Tony Schlecta kiss the sargeant of the Schafer's Ladies year after year to know that he liked units that came all the time. The story that he tossed out a penalty for an upstart corps to ensure that they would beat a long time VFW participant doesn't hold water, in my opinion. It would make more sense that he would give the Cavaliers a penalty they didn't deserve to ensure that Vinnie's would win.

[/quote}

You make a very plausible argument on behalf of dear old Anton J. One that I hadn't considered before. Unfortunately in my own interview about the yarn, my eyewitness left no doubt that it was another case of Tony being Tony. Part of that act consisted of Himself acting as the field announcer when he was usually half in the bag. As I said in my post, they're all dead. We'll never know the true story. The Cavies were also regular attendees at the VFW. They were very far from being an "upstart". They had an excellent corps. And they were certainly one of the favorites to win. I do know that St Vinnies thought they were that year's winner of the Annual Schlechta Shaft. In 1958 the VFW was at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn N.Y., a mere subway ride from Bayonne. St Vinnies had another excellent corps that year, but did not attend.

The Cavies were also regular attendees at the VFW. They were very far from being an "upstart".

If I remember correctly, the Cavaliers had never appeared at VFW Nationals until 1956, making the 1957 show their second such appearance. Hardly a "regular attendee" at that point. Contrast that with St. Vincent, who in 1957 were the only corps to attend every VFW National since festivities resumed after World War II.

Some of these Corps Directors with these Corps were living Saints for how they basically were able to keep their members in line for 95% of the time.

And out of jail. But, then again, most of the LEO's were from the same neighborhoods and had similar incidents growing up.

Edited by Ghost

And out of jail. But, then again, most of the LEO's were from the same neighborhoods and had similar incidents growing up.

Being part of a PAL organization, most of the LEO's in Bpt were parents of the kids in the corps ... and also served as their Quartermasters ... you can say we always had a "police" presence about us ...

:-)

True.

This is not about a fight but a scary situation one of my corps had to endure. We did a parade

I recall a city Corps that in the 60's was marching in a parade in their city, and Corps and Bands were being hit left and right with eggs by young toughs from up on a hill. They were dodging police that had a sporadic presence this parade at best. They'd come from behind the double deckers and whatnot, run down an embankment, toss their eggs and then take off. This particular Corps was at a parade rest stop as the parade slowed to a stop. Out came about 5 or 6 kids running down the embankment, stopped and were about to toss the eggs. One of the marchers in the Corps looked up and saw his younger cousin... about 14,15 years old... with the eggs. The marcher took his shako off ran to the curb, looked at his cousin, and told him he was in big trouble. The kid dropped the eggs in a panic, and he took off mell pell up the embankment, and the others followed. The marcher got back in line, and he was really steamed, but the others just calmed him down and everyone chuckled. Never heard what happened to that kid. He's probably in jail, dead, a cop, or a judge now... haha

In parades, we were usually the aggressor. We often spread our flags curb to curb to chase people off the street, and more than one vendor of candies and balloons was purposely kicked in the butt and knocked over. I'm sure other corps did the same.