Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

again, I'm sitting here worried ... while PR is currently "ranked 4th" (well within the top spot - they did it 08), I feel like things aren't progressing ...

that said ... some thoughts on what might be ...

new unis ... so far we've seen no reason for the new sleeve ... could there be a red "cape" like the old days yet to come? ... perhaps when the silks turn red after the snake/dragon form

drill ... they've yet to add the kick halts (yes plural) ... there is a hint of a chevron (but it's not "tight") ... there are still several spots where it looks like additions could be forthcomig ... the sword was edited out in 08 and may be out again ... the ending just looks like it's a place holder

music ... changes can be heard on the Beanpot VOD ... there seems to be a large pit feature that wasn't there before ... the "sound effects" are a bit more audible - a growling sound when the "dragon shape" is resolving ...

ending ... we all know they are the champs at "surprise" endings ... so maybe a "golden" dress on a guard member with a sword ... is there a "crab hop" in the works ala Harmonic Journey ...

they've purposely referenced 2003 ... and 2006.

looking forward to tomorrrow evening ... SUTA!

Edited by ashevillemurphy

again, I'm sitting here worried ... while PR is currently "ranked 4th" (well within the top spot - they did it 08), I feel like things aren't progressing ...

new unis ... so far we've seen no reason for the new sleeve ... could there be a red "cape" like the old days yet to come? ... perhaps when the silks turn red after the snake/dragon form. No.

drill ... they've yet to add the kick halts (yes plural) ... there is a hint of a chevron (but it's not "tight") ... there are still several spots where it looks like additions could be forthcomig ... the sword was edited out in 08 and may be out again ... the ending just looks like it's a place holder

music ... changes can be heard on the Beanpot VOD ... there seems to be a large pit feature that wasn't there before ... the "sound effects" are a bit more audible - a growling sound when the "dragon shape" is resolving ...

ending ... we all know they are the champs at "surprise" endings ... so maybe a "golden" dress on a guard member with a sword ... is there a "crab hop" in the works ala Harmonic Journey ... No & No.

Dang I was really looking forward to a crab wedge... thumbdown.gif

new unis ... so far we've seen no reason for the new sleeve ... could there be a red "cape" like the old days yet to come? ... perhaps when the silks turn red after the snake/dragon form

ending ... we all know they are the champs at "surprise" endings ... so maybe a "golden" dress on a guard member with a sword ... is there a "crab hop" in the works ala Harmonic Journey ...

they've purposely referenced 2003 ...

- The new uni fits the theme, and that's all. There are no surprise effects from it, it is just fitting.

- drill: It is good. I can definitely see them putting in a tighter chevron on that part of shostakovich, and of course a kick halt or two are coming. I don't see the sword being taken out unless there is a music change. The difference is, that in 08 the sword looked completely stupid, more like a Popsicle stick. The sword is actually effective this year, and written well.

-as for music changes, the only one i've heard so far was the brass being taken out on part of the Britten, and more featuring this wonderful (sarcasm) percussion line.... yayyyy... (also sarcasm). Their music hasn't grabbed me since Shaw left. PR not having my favorite show every single year anymore concerns me, and it's no doubt because of the music.

- visually they are contenders, even though their program lacks demand, it's still very good. They will need to step up on the content in the future though. Music is just... nothing special. They NEED to be special musically. Not special doesn't hang with the big boys. The one exception is that last year the Brass really stepped up and was much better than anything since 08, I was hoping to see that same improvement this year but haven't. I am still hopeful for that though. I know they take a different approach to where they add the volume as the season progresses rather than blasting their faces off from the very beginning like before, so we will see where they go.

- I am very happy they took away that leg swing body hip thing at the end of storm interlude, it is a step in the right direction, but still too much prancercise.

this (12/13) corps seems like the opposite of 09/10 corps. wish we had todays visuals with 09/10's music. Then I think we may be seeing a third gold for them.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 2

At the moment it's 4th place at best. More chance of losing to SCV or Bluecoats come August than Cadets, Devils or Crown dropping down.

Drums still ain't good enough. Simplistic writing or lack of talent... I don't know. Scores suggest a bit of both.

Visuals may be less complex than the top 3 but they are very very effective... prancing aside. Show needs to flow better but so did 2012s show until early August.

Brass not quite as together as last year... yet, but will get better. Won't win the Ott but won't be far off top 3.

I can't make finals this year so happy to wait for the gold in 2014................ devil.gif

• Like 1

At the moment it's 4th place at best. More chance of losing to SCV or Bluecoats come August than Cadets, Devils or Crown dropping down.

The top 3 are decided. I highly doubt this will change.

Drums still ain't good enough. Simplistic writing or lack of talent... I don't know. Scores suggest a bit of both.

The drums were within 0.2 of Bloo earlier in the season when a certain arranger wasn't in the trenches. When he's not there, they do better. BTW, I dare anyone to go head-to-head with the pit. They're ungodly amazing.

Visuals may be less complex than the top 3 but they are very very effective... prancing aside. Show needs to flow better but so did 2012s show until early August.

This isn't goddamned ballet. Stop it. Stop it now. If you can't tell, two different people put in visuals...one has been an amazing designer who's been with them for a long time. His bodywork is effective.

Brass not quite as together as last year... yet, but will get better. Won't win the Ott but won't be far off top 3.

Tons of talent...in concert arc. Can't seem to play with stamina on the move. They lost a week to weather during move-ins and their visual caption head is leaving after this year, so he didn't put in much effort at whipping them into shape either.

I can't make finals this year so happy to wait for the gold in 2014................ devil.gif

They're losing 50+ vets due to ageouts this summer. Several with many years left (some as far back as '09) aren't coming back next year. If tour stays the mess that it has been, a lot of them won't be coming back next year anyway.

Edited by chaos001

new unis ... so far we've seen no reason for the new sleeve ...

This goes for a number of corps' uniform "enhancements" we've seen this year.

Yeah, they look different right up close. Just a bit up in the stands and all the effort is lost. You don't see the enhancements.

A lot of time and money spent losing them 5 rows up.