Thoughts on DCI's "Harlem Shake" Video?

Dci.org just posted a response to the Harlem Shake backlash: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=fd725a1a-5ebd-4a96-8092-2ddc9ab492c3

Seems more to me like a lot of excuses and a big attempt at spin on DCI's part. I'm not buying any of it.

IMHO, DCI put together what they thought was a great idea, and now that it failed in epic proportions, they are trying desperately to soften the impact.

Witness contradictory statements such as these in the above-mentioned article:

"DCI has spent the last six months specifically studying social media opportunities and looking to aggressively grow DCI’s online following through multiple channels" and "we threw it together in a matter of an hour last Friday, just to have some fun with visitors to our channel over the weekend" and "we really weren’t taking ourselves too seriously when we created this piece".

Sounds to me like DCI really dropped the ball here both with the original video and also with their attempt at explanation. If they weren't too concerned with how the video was received and if they really believe that the backlash isn't that big of a deal (as they tend to indicate in their response), there would be no need to post an official response.

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

No reason to overthink this.

I'm pretty sure your fear of us overthinking something here on DCP is unwarranted.

I work very hard to maintain a full measure of underthinking things here. I get the sense I am not alone in this consideration while on DCP too.

As an aside, is the Harlem Shake made similar to a frappe, with more ice cream in the mix, or is it made differently in different locales around the country ?

Edited by BRASSO

Dci.org just posted a response to the Harlem Shake backlash: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=fd725a1a-5ebd-4a96-8092-2ddc9ab492c3

Seems more to me like a lot of excuses and a big attempt at spin on DCI's part. I'm not buying any of it.

IMHO, DCI put together what they thought was a great idea, and now that it failed in epic proportions, they are trying desperately to soften the impact.

"DCI has spent the last six months specifically studying social media opportunities and looking to aggressively grow DCI’s online following through multiple channels" and "we threw it together in a matter of an hour last Friday, just to have some fun with visitors to our channel over the weekend" and "we really weren’t taking ourselves too seriously when we created this piece".

Sounds to me like DCI really dropped the ball here both with the original video and also with their attempt at explanation. If they weren't too concerned with how the video was received and if they really believe that the backlash isn't that big of a deal (as they tend to indicate in their response), there would be no need to post an official response.

Interesting!

Also while DCI points out that there was an increase in subs and views they don't mention that the number of up votes, shares and favorites also are taken into serious consideration. Some sponsors don't want to be associated with "popular-negative" content.

Well, I see that DCI has disabled both comments and ratings for the video.

Is that what they should have done in the first place?

Wow... clearly they don't want fan engagement either. I mean it's DCI trying to pick up the pieces because they have conceded that its not very popular with those associated and not associated with DCI.

Also, DCI keeps talking about how the votes and comments represent a small minority. "Less than 1% they keep saying..." While technically they do, STATISTICALLY you only need a random sample of about 4,000 people to accurately predict the opinion of the 1,000,000 people who watched that video within 2 or 3 points. There are over 5,000 people who voted up or down.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Wow, didn't know that! So again, if this truly isn't a big deal to DCI or others, why the need to disable comments and ratings for the video and post an official response?

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

Dci.org just posted a response to the Harlem Shake backlash: http://www.dci.org/n...92-2ddc9ab492c3

"DCI has spent the last six months specifically studying social media opportunities and looking to aggressively grow DCI's online following through multiple channels" and "we threw it together in a matter of an hour last Friday, just to have some fun with visitors to our channel over the weekend" and "we really weren't taking ourselves too seriously when we created this piece".

Well, not sure that the traffic is due so much to the content of the video, but more likely just getting put into the mix of those browsing harlem shake videos. If you want to get 20 million views, just put the word b oobs in the title and have the featured image being scantily clad.

A real successful video is one where you have the traffic levels, can actually leave the comments on, and include some sort of call to action.

What is more interesting about that article is the figure that more than 62% of their Facebook fanbase is 13-24. While certainly not scientific... that does give some suggestion as to where they should be placing emphasis.

• Like 1

I think its funny. Im sure it didnt take a lot of time and money to mash some clips from finals during the off season. People need to quit complaining about small things. "Oh no its not a legit harlem shake video" grow up.

(Down votes in 5...4...3...2....1....do the harlem shake)

• Like 4

I think its funny. Im sure it didnt take a lot of time and money to mash some clips from finals during the off season. People need to quit complaining about small things. "Oh no its not a legit harlem shake video" grow up.

(Down votes in 5...4...3...2....1....do the harlem shake)

Well, many people here in the countless discussions about the longevity of DCI always talk about marketing DCI differently. Or thinking of ways to get DCI to a broader audience. It's all so abstract and full of ideas on what DCI could do.

Now we get a chance to actually see what DCI is doing. And at least have a discussion if their approach is good or bad. So it has absolutely nothing to do with doing a Harlem Shake correctly but everything to do with the thing that people feel DCI should do a better job with... Marketing.

Edited by charlie1223

Except you have the people looking for harlem shake videos and this wasnt as good as most. You have the elitist DCI fans and alum that wouldnt be satisfied unless they had the dci staff actually make a harlem shake video, and even then they probably wouldnt be satisfied.

• Like 2