TOC/G7 Related Discussion

Thanks to you and Slingerland. I just couldn't wrap what's left of my brain of why DCI was trying to do this or how it fit into TV programming until I hit the Infomercial idea. Usual Infomercials pay for the air time themselves and sell a physical product. DCI paid for the air time but went to it's usual sponsors to help with the costs. And instead of a physocal product, DCI was selling the idea of joing the corps and coming to shows.

Ding, Ding, Ding.

Drum Corps on Ice with members getting into slug-fest fights!!!! Yea Drum Corps Hockey!!!!

is this where we cue the video tape of the 27th Lancers doing the closing ceremonies on ice at the Lake Placid Olympics???

One of my first drum corps memories as a grammar school kid was seeing the Medford Grenadiers DBC of LI (the corps DCI HOFer Paul Litteau taught while in the service after he aged out of Cavaliers, doing an exhibition on ice at one of the L.I. Ducks minor league hockey games at the old Commack Arena.

Now back on topic...

Edited by normy diploome

is this where we cue the video tape of the 27th Lancers doing the closing ceremonies on ice at the Lake Placid Olympics???

Were the 27th members slugging it out on ice with the Russian hockey team? If so bring on the link and we will pay to watch!!!! If not, then sorry not interested. :tongue:

Now we will have Brain vs. Brawn?

Or at least Cats vs. Dogs...Bobcats vs. Bulldogs... Quinnipiac vs. Yale. HockeyDad, are those heads still spinning in Minnesota and North Dakota???

Even funnier than the Pioneer/Mandarin analogy is that Yale and Quinnipiac are less than five miles apart on the same street ! But it will be Southern CT U. on the other side of New Haven who will host DCI this summer,

LOL as we were watching the Frozen Four yesterday (and who Wasn't !!!), my son asked, "are all the Yale players smart?"

Actually it threw me - the concept of a "smart" hockey player - and I say this a Hockeydad myself.....

If you think that the owners of ESPN are about viewership or broadcasting competitions and being pleased enough with DCI to give them some sort of altruistic shot you are naive; this is about money and profit plain and simple.

You appear to have it backwards Stu.

I never said that ESPN2 was going to operate with DCI in any other fashion but as a business decision. As they should. But recall what the INITIAL DCI press release said immediately after the show. It said that allegedly the sponsors, DCI, and ESPN itself were more than pleased with the higher than expected ( an projected by DCI) viewership. If true, and everyone.. including sponsors.... is so happy as we were told, then it is inconceivable that ESPN2 would not have given DCI a 2nd year's show, epecially since we were told by DCI that the viewership numbers projected and provded to ESPN2 were exceeded. Something is amiss here in the DCI storyline, you know ? Can't you see that ?

Edited by BRASSO

You appear to have it backwards Stu.

I never said that ESPN2 was going to operate with DCI in any other fashion but as a business decision. As they should. But recall what the INITIAL DCI press release said immediately after the show. It said that allegedly the sponsors, DCI, and ESPN itself were more than pleased with the higher than expected ( an projected by DCI) viewership. If true, and everyone.. including sponsors.... is so happy as we were told, then it is inconceivable that ESPN2 would not have given DCI a 2nd year's show, epecially since we were told by DCI that the viewership numbers projected and provded to ESPN2 were exceeded. Something is amiss here in the DCI storyline, you know ? Can't you see that ?

I have nothing backwards. The sponsors DCI had were certainly happy with the increasing market share. However, the owners of a network see that increase in market share as a reason to also charge more for air time (and rightly so, because the supply-demand free-market system works very well in the world of business transactions thank you). And the sponsors which DCI could secure, though happy with the increase in viewership, could not cover the increase in air time cost irrespective of how happy they were. This is not about DCI, or contests, or youth, or more fans, it is about maximizing profit for a free-market business called ESPN and nothing more. Can't 'you' see that?

Edited by Stu

LOL as we were watching the Frozen Four yesterday (and who Wasn't !!!), my son asked, "are all the Yale players smart?"

Actually it threw me - the concept of a "smart" hockey player - and I say this a Hockeydad myself.....

Your son must have been viewing the interview with one Andrew Miller, captain of the Yale team and scorer of the tie-breaker.

the sponsors which DCI could secure, though happy with the increase in viewership, could not cover the increase in air time cost irrespective of how happy they were. Can't 'you' see that?

If DCI had viewership numbers that allegedly exceeded what they initially projected and told to ESPN2, then the " infomercial " approach to ESPN2 would have been a thing of the past, and ESPN2 would have made the business decision that DCI was " so tremendous.. and better than the NHL regular season gamees,etc " that ESPN would have negotiated with DCI a 2nd format.. not an infomercial format paid by sponsors.... that would work for all. Can't you see that ? There is a disconnect between the initial press release of DCI ( not a joint press release by the way ) and the subsequent later annoucement that DCI could not find suitable sponsors willing to underwrite a 2nd broadcast, nor apparently the willingness of ESPN 2 to negotiate on something we're told by DCI was a tremendous success. If such a DCI press release storyline seems plausable to you then I don't know what else to tell you, Stu.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1