TOC/G7 Related Discussion

We are not talking about a single one-person owned entity such as the Dallas Cowboys owned by Jerry Jones (a person who fits the bill of a D-Ray desired All Powerful Dictator). We are discussing a corporation responsible of coordinating many facets of other organizations within that corporate agreement structure like the Commissioner of the NFL. While it is true that any successful large corporation has to have a strong leader who has strong executive decision making power; it is also true that those same leaders are not All Powerful Dictators; they are Hired or Elected Leaders who are held accountable to a Board, the Stock Holders, or Both.

I would agree with you if the name was brought into the situation out of context; but when a discussion arises on whether or not an All Powerful Dictatorship is a good idea or bad (and Daniel Ray said that a consortia never invaded or took over anything), avoiding the name of Hitler is flat dishonest. Moreover, it is a sad commentary on our society when items or names which are actually placed correctly in proper context are immediately shot down as supposedly playing a whatever card. Yet many people today want to avoid using certain historical names at all cost, even when it is placed in 'proper context'. This 'complete' avoidance within proper context throws honest debate right out the window just as much as using the name out of context throws honest debate out the window.

if Jerry Jones takes over DCI, we're ####ed.

signed, a suffering Cowboys fan

Any conversation about basic models of corporate governance that brings in the Axis powers - even as a tangential issue - is a conversation whose intellectual value has dropped into the single digits.

DCI could stand a strong central voice that knows more about the businesses of sports and event marketing than the corps directors do. Right now, they don't have that. Dan A did a great job of pulling the organization out of a tailspin, but there's no plan out there (and the old 5 year plan didn't do this) that would move the organization back in the direction of being able to fill 25,000 seats for Finals (making the organization another $600k+ in one night) or getting the product into the sites of the types of corporate sponsors who can underwrite the expenses of building the audience base.

It's not unusual for companies to change leadership when the needs change. Right now DCI needs a growth-oriented focus, with a team at the top who has the contacts and the experience to move it to the next level. But they're unwilling to spend the kind of money it would take to bring in someone who has those skills. The G7 idea was dumb, but at its heart, it was right about the central issue; DCI's stuck in the mud, and it's not looking good that anyone will ever be able to get a few of the directors involved on board with the idea of aggressively pursuing new avenues of income and professionalism.

here's the problem....no matter who comes in, they have to answer to the corps themselves.

Say I'm interviewed to take the job. I'm going to ask questions.

"So, how did you find yourselves in this position?"

"well, several changes were made over the last 10-15 years, that while they looked great, have hurt us"

"Ok, well who made those changes?"

"we did."

"and if I take this job, I am to answer to your whims???"

• Like 1

If the DCI corps aren't willing to accept the fact that they're never going to find someone capable of building DCI to the next level with what they're current paying for the executive team, then they will all deserve what they get. The type of stud who knows how to build an org like this won't work for very low six figures, when they can see $250k+ working for any number of already successful $18-25m organizations.

If pointing out the facts of DCI's current status (negative to mild audience growth, no major sponsors, no television presence) is "insulting" DCI, then it's clear that one of the two of us is too emotionally invested in the situation, and I know it's not me. I just want to see the activity regain some momentum and increase the number of participants and audience members; I don't particularly care if someone else feels "insulted" when I point out that there are better, smarter ways of achieving that goal than lowering the bar so that everyone gets a medal at the end of the year.

you do realize DCI is the corps right?

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for the TOC Dekalb show?

if Jerry Jones takes over DCI, we're ####ed.

signed, a suffering Cowboys fan

That is why I chose Jerry Jones as the example of an All Powerful Dictator; and until he sells the team or dies my favorite NFL team will be any team that plays the Cowboys.

I said bringing it 'into this thread' (which was done by the D-Ray); and the last time I checked Bill Cook is still amongst the unliving, so he could not have brought the term 'into this thread'.

P.S. Bill Cook was wrong; there never has been, nor ever will be, a 'Benevolent Dictator' because even with the greatest of all humans the following is a truism: Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely.

Edited by Stu

I said bringing it 'into this thread' (which was done by the D-Ray); and the last time I checked Bill Cook is still amongst the unliving, so he could not have brought the term 'into this thread'.

P.S. Bill Cook was wrong; there never has been, nor ever will be, a 'Benevolent Dictator' because even with the greatest of all humans the following is a truism: Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely.

Did it occur to you that maybe -- just maybe -- Daniel was referencing Bill Cook? I mean, it's not like this text has been on the internet in some form for 16 years or more.

I took the opportunity to re-read this and was struck by how RIGHT Bill was on almost every point. (Except for bingo being the "lifeblood" of drum corps. It certainly was the lifeblood of some corps, but his statement has proven to be over broad.)

Almost makes you wonder where DCI would be today if they had listened to him 20 years ago, no?

Anyway, I feel like there are 7-8 truly WORLD CLASS drum corps in existence. I am perfectly fine with those corps wanting to be truly in a class of their own. Maybe DCI Finals should have 8 spots. That might make things more interesting.

• Like 2

That is why I chose Jerry Jones as the example of an All Powerful Dictator; and until he sells the team or dies my favorite NFL team will be any team that plays the Cowboys.

well, one can hope some crazy Texan gets his gun, gets in his truck, and goes Jerry hunting

Did it occur to you that maybe -- just maybe -- Daniel was referencing Bill Cook? I mean, it's not like this text has been on the internet in some form for 16 years or more.

I took the opportunity to re-read this and was struck by how RIGHT Bill was on almost every point. (Except for bingo being the "lifeblood" of drum corps. It certainly was the lifeblood of some corps, but his statement has proven to be over broad.)

Almost makes you wonder where DCI would be today if they had listened to him 20 years ago, no?

Anyway, I feel like there are 7-8 truly WORLD CLASS drum corps in existence. I am perfectly fine with those corps wanting to be truly in a class of their own. Maybe DCI Finals should have 8 spots. That might make things more interesting.

except that number can and will change. and on field product is not all that makes world class. Unless you count calling parents to bring food so they can eat after a major regional because the corps accounts were running on fumes world class