is I&E no more?

Just a hunch, but could I&E also be taking a backseat to Soundsport and Drumline Battle?

No linkage at all. It's the discretion of each corps whether or not its members participate in I&E. The two new productions you mentioned do not affect the rehearsal schedules of the corps. If there's any effect on the corps, it's hopefully that there will be a lot of additional exposure for the activity, and (personal thought here), maybe more money to share with all the corps to help them continue to entertain us all.

There are pros and cons to I and E. On a positive side, it is a way for musicians and guard members to showcase their talents apart from the corps and though it is an individual or ensemble event, a winner is good publicity for the corps itself. On the negative side, with rehearsing and traveling, when would corps members get to practice to present their best efforts, and since drum corps is supposed to be a team effort and everyone is supposed to be focused on the show, it would have the potential of being a distraction. So for the person who mentioned that I and E is being sacrificed for a tenth of a point, if that .10 is the difference between 8th and 7th, the ramifications are great and if that .10 is the difference between 4th and 3rd, or 1st and 2nd, again that's huge.

It does seem as if I and E has gone from being a showcase for DCI and a source of bragging rights for a corps to an afterthought. For one thing, it has moved from finals week to a time when it is convenient. A valid question could also be "Do we need I and E anymore?" It seems as if more attention was given to I and E "back in the day," Key of G, traditional guards, etc. A person performing on a Key of G bugle did not have too many venues to showcase talent. Rifles, flags, and sabres did not have these kinds of opportunities outside of drum corps either. There are all kinds of opportunites for individual brass competitions and dance as well. There are also other opportunities for instruments allowed in I and E today, two being the upcoming SoundSport and DrumLine Battle. Perhaps would be the best venues for I and E in the future. WGI, if it does not have individual guard competitions could fill the gap for guards.

I&E is something that can really show that just because you don't march in some top 12 corps you can still prove your talent and hard work. Look at Pacific Crest. They didn't make finals but did very well with their bass ensemble.

No linkage at all. It's the discretion of each corps whether or not its members participate in I&E. The two new productions you mentioned do not affect the rehearsal schedules of the corps. If there's any effect on the corps, it's hopefully that there will be a lot of additional exposure for the activity, and (personal thought here), maybe more money to share with all the corps to help them continue to entertain us all.

I meant more on DCI's side. I wonder If DCI wanted to back off of I&E to devote the resources to the new activities.

Edited by AlTheKilla

Not to mention the joke that it turned into in allowing everything but Kitchen Sink I&E into the mix... (says the proud woodwind player who would never, ever...ever have considered trying to get a DCI I&E title on a woodwind instrument if it had been around then...)

Exactly. My main instrument is bassoon. I even had to bring one on tour one year. Even though I had it there and even though I had to practice it on tour... I would consider it sacrilege to compete in I&E on bassoon.

Anyway, I actually think that I&E should instead be a contest... with CASH prizes.... held in November, and via YouTube.

Winners get cash to march wherever they want. Almost winners have killer exposure for auditions... it becomes a perfect recruiting/exposure opportunity.

Get sponsors to pony up the prize money for each section.

If you stop and think about the reality here... no one actually watches I&E in the time and place that it happens... yet almost a million people have viewed this I&E performance of Ivan Pacheco.

Should be pretty obvious that the audience is virtual, not physical.. so the event should be also.

• Like 1

Exactly. My main instrument is bassoon. I even had to bring one on tour one year. Even though I had it there and even though I had to practice it on tour... I would consider it sacrilege to compete in I&E on bassoon.

Anyway, I actually think that I&E should instead be a contest... with CASH prizes.... held in November, and via YouTube.

Winners get cash to march wherever they want. Almost winners have killer exposure for auditions... it becomes a perfect recruiting/exposure opportunity.

Get sponsors to pony up the prize money for each section.

If you stop and think about the reality here... no one actually watches I&E in the time and place that it happens... yet almost a million people have viewed this I&E performance of Ivan Pacheco.

Should be pretty obvious that the audience is virtual, not physical.. so the event should be also.

Yes! I agree, it should be an opportunity for a young gun who may not have the funds to make their way into a top corps (or at least have the money to do so). However, I can see someone needing to also be paid to sift through a heap of (enter word here) to find the golden nugget. As a person with experience as a former broke college kid (weren't we all?) things would have helped greatly if this was an opportunity. I think we can find some unknown talent out there also!

Kids already fake video auditions already. Won't more people do it now that cash is the reward?

Also, I think I&E became too big of a thing. Only a certain amount of fans would show up to watch, yet performance section after performance section was added. Fans then had to spread out, but a lot chose just not to go. If you want to save it, allow only instruments that corps play on the field and hold it in a smaller location. It's silly at the Indy Convention Center where one guard member will perform in one room, then another will perform right after 3 floors down and on the other side of the building. Let's have it at a pub or something!

Kids already fake video auditions already. Won't more people do it now that cash is the reward?

Also, I think I&E became too big of a thing. Only a certain amount of fans would show up to watch, yet performance section after performance section was added. Fans then had to spread out, but a lot chose just not to go. If you want to save it, allow only instruments that corps play on the field and hold it in a smaller location. It's silly at the Indy Convention Center where one guard member will perform in one room, then another will perform right after 3 floors down and on the other side of the building. Let's have it at a pub or something!

Maybe if the videos had to have a certified judge from any area competing organization(TOB/TIA, USBANDS, Cavalcade, DCA, DCI, WGA, MAPS, etc)present at taping, by an official videographer, to act as an official verifying the source, video sessions could be scheduled throughout the country and then submitted for competition.

Edited by BushDad1213
  • Like 1

Also, I think I&E became too big of a thing. Only a certain amount of fans would show up to watch, yet performance section after performance section was added. Fans then had to spread out, but a lot chose just not to go. If you want to save it, allow only instruments that corps play on the field and hold it in a smaller location.

How about going the other way...as the members play or spin with their corps already, have I&E be only for a member to perform on something completely different. Maybe a guard member plays clarinet, or a mello player is a dancer, or a pit member is a trumpet player.

Edited by MikeD