New Uniforms?

That's probably an accurate observation. Hop wrote someplace that the Cadets replace their unis roughly once every three years. All told, it makes sense that corps will want to replace that often due to the rigors of tour. If a corps has, conservatively, 30 shows during the course of a summer, imagine wearing the exact same article of clothing marching a show 90 consecutive times over the course of three summers. If you go too long without replacing, you run the risk of unis looking pretty tattered.

Having said that, I'm really tired of corps radically changing their overall look with every uni buy. To me, a corps uniform is akin to a company brand: even without seeing a single step of drill or a note of music, you immediately know who and what you're seeing. Look, I totally get the need to replace worn unis. When I saw Crown's horn line up close in the lot last year, their pants looked especially stained, likely from all the crawling/kneeling they've done in those unis since 2010. But I really miss the look of '07-'09. That image was simple and classy, and easy to modify around show themes. I think the '10-'12 uni was a step backward.

My observation is that several corps seem to be on a three-year cycle with any given uniform or style of uniform. Crown had effectively the same uniform jacket 2007-2009, just with different braids and other details that changed; and 2010-2012 they had the same style of jacket. Bluecoats did the same thing, 2007-2009 they had the two-shaded blue jackets with the dark blue on the black, 2010-2012 they had different shades of blue with black on the back, and they are getting new uniforms for 2013. I believe Blue Stars may be on the same cycle, and from the looks of it Madison may be starting it as well. I heard a rumour that Blue Knights may be getting new uniforms, but I heard the same thing last year, so take that how you will. Phantom doesn't quite fit the pattern enough to make predictions, Cadets and Cavies don't seem too keen on changing their uniforms too drastically, and Vanguard I am not familiar enough with their recent uniforms to comment on.

This all conjecture on my part, and may be entirely correlation with no causation. Just what I have observed and deduced.

• Like 2

Man if I hit the powerball I would set up a fund for non G-7 corps to afford uniforms to offset their other expenses. (and I'd buy a huge drumset)

If you have light colored uniforms like Phantom, Crown, Cadets(pants), you are probably going to be replacing them much more often. If you have dark pants and dark tops they will last as long as you want them too. I know we treated ours as good or better than our horns. And they were constantly being maintained. Maintaining the uniforms and updating what you need to when you need to is much more efficient. You don't NEED new uniforms every 3 years to look good on the field. You just need to take care of them. And again.. I know the lightly colored corps might have to replace more often, especially if they roll around a lot.. but didn't Phantom have the same white uniforms from 03-08, just different accessories? I'm not sure, they might of replaced them somewhere in there.

How long did BD have the same unis for? Cavies? Just wondering is these corps got all brand new or just modified and maintained them for many years.

Imagine having to wear wool uniforms. :-0

Been there - done that.

See my second post in this thread for some answers. Additionally, Bluecoats just sold their whole recent uniforms to a band in Ohio. Sometimes worthy remnants, whole or in part, are raffled to alums and fans as fundraisers or pirated for other items sold at the souvenir stand at drum corps shows or on the corps' website(s.) Sometimes the old unis are donated to start up units or units from economically challenged regions. Many though, fade away from the exhaustion of many exhilerating summer seasons.

are you sure about that because my understanding is the Bushwackers are currently working with the Bluecoats to buy their old uniforms

Imagine having to wear wool uniforms. :-0

did that - and they were double breasted

If you have light colored uniforms like Phantom, Crown, Cadets(pants), you are probably going to be replacing them much more often. If you have dark pants and dark tops they will last as long as you want them too. I know we treated ours as good or better than our horns. And they were constantly being maintained. Maintaining the uniforms and updating what you need to when you need to is much more efficient. You don't NEED new uniforms every 3 years to look good on the field. You just need to take care of them. And again.. I know the lightly colored corps might have to replace more often, especially if they roll around a lot.. but didn't Phantom have the same white uniforms from 03-08, just different accessories? I'm not sure, they might of replaced them somewhere in there.

How long did BD have the same unis for? Cavies? Just wondering is these corps got all brand new or just modified and maintained them for many years.

I know the Bluecoats used the same jacket from 1992-2003 with minor accessory adjustments through those years.

are you sure about that because my understanding is the Bushwackers are currently working with the Bluecoats to buy their old uniforms

The info about the Bluecoats selling the uniforms (current and past) was posted on their own site several months back. That it was an Ohio H.S. that bought them was posted and discussed elsewhere here on DCP....and because it is on DCP, doesn't that make it true, ha, ha?? http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/155464-bluecoats-are-selling-their-2010-2012-unifroms/ If the 'Coats were selling two sets of coats, perhaps both statements are true. Of all the DCI major corps, I am the least familiar with their inner operations even though I have been to Canton and some of my former students have taught within their organization in major ways. The one inside rep I persistently hear is that they have the nicest Spring training facility of all DCI corps, Dennison College. Of all their shows, I like "The Boxer" best.

Edited by normy diploome