Missing Corps

Add Music City Legend to the list...I think one of the reasons there used to be corps all over the place, is because a kid with no musical background was welcome to join and would be taught how to play an instrument, how to march, how to read music. Today, a corps doesn't want to have anything to do with someone unless they already learned those skills (presumably, in their school's band). If the kid either didn't/couldn't join band, or their school doesn't have one, the kid's out of luck.

• Like 1

You know, thinking about this makes me wonder about a few things. My junior corps stint was with that evil drum corps in blue from the west coast that everyone seems to love to hate. Mind you, this was back before dirt. (mid '80's to be precise). I have had my disagreements with their creative choices lately but from a purely organizational standpoint there are a few things they bring to the table that I believe are relevant to this conversation.

Sure, the Blue Devils have, through their success over the years, enjoyed the benefit of selecting from the very best potential membership from all over the world. They have also, however, done great things for their community in reaching out to address the musical needs of the Bay Area. Take, for example, the Diablo Winds. This is a community wind ensemble that supports and nurtures music education in the immediate Concord area. The continued support of the B and C corps is another example. Especially the C corps which is comprised of kids barely big enough to hold the horn. They are, in fact, starting these kids from scratch. How many of these kids go on to eventually march with the A corps? In reality, not many, but that isn't the point. When people from the community see "Blue Devils" they see an organization that is actively involved in supporting the youth of the area.

Perhaps this is part of the reason for their success. I am sure that it is a big reason for their acceptance and appreciation among the civic leaders and local businesses of the Bay Area. Perhaps if more organizations took this type of approach they might enjoy more long term success. Everyone seems to want to reach for the immediate competitive success rather than building roots in the community that will ensure long term growth.

Just a thought.

Dan

• Like 2

Jeff,

Probably could if the drum corps model we all know today could scale back some. Wouldnt be difficult to have a local drum corps that supported its community through parades and other community based functions. This all done while fostering the youth of the community. With the use of Bb instruments it has made it easier.

It just seems like drum corps are field units and nothing else. They may foster the growth of a student, but not many from the corps home base.

Not many know this "drum corps activity" because it is not local and doesnt support their communities or their children

probably not. too many communites have a hard enough time paying their own bills, and there's far more options for people to choose to do things with their time. Plus the cost, even of running a parade corps is a lot more than back in the day.

I know of folks here that tried several times to get a parade corps going. Older folks didn't want to do parades unless they were on a flatbed truck, and younger folks wanted to go for a score.

• Like 2

probably not. too many communites have a hard enough time paying their own bills, and there's far more options for people to choose to do things with their time. Plus the cost, even of running a parade corps is a lot more than back in the day.

I know of folks here that tried several times to get a parade corps going. Older folks didn't want to do parades unless they were on a flatbed truck, and younger folks wanted to go for a score.

I gave you a plus 1 to start off with before you get a ####load of negatives (for speaking the truth).

• Like 1

We can buy XBox games and have fun all summer long in an air conditioned room. LOL

I gave you a plus 1 to start off with before you get a ####load of negatives (for speaking the truth).

people can hit whatever button, I don't give a ####. It's a different world than it was when community drum corps thrived. hell, I just asked a coworker to name his towns mayor...he couldn't.....people's involvement with their community is not what it was 40/50 years ago.

Legions and VFW's are struggling to survive. Churches are struggling to keep up their finances. Community Groups are begging for $$ to fund what they have done for years. Many parades don't oay at all or if they do, not like they used to. And maintaining equipment, moving it from place to place and insurance isn't cheap.

and...incentive. Just getting together and play may work for some alumni groups. Younger faces will want to do more.Sure, it would be great, especially in cities, to get some youth programs going to help keep kids off the street. But those groups have a hard time paying for what they do too.

so people can red mark me. Big deal. It's not the facts I'd like to admit exist, but dems da facts

• Like 1

Although you may not see the big DCA corps in the western new york area like BITD, if you go to a parade around here you may see...The Hitmen, Prime Time Brass, The Ghost Riders, St Joes Alumni, The Hilton Generations, Kelly's Heroes, Dansville White Sabers, Savannah Cellar Savers et al...

yeah, it might not be like the old days, but these smaller groups are packing some serious talent. All of the previous groups mentioned are filled with, taught by, music arranged by...drum corps people.

Donny

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 1