Rumblings from CADETLAND

I get the sense that GH feels the performers are finally "getting it". He has mentioned numerous times that the show design can only take them so far and the MM has to put in the emotional work to pull it off. I noticed on his FB page that he took them to see BD and CC and they got a dose of reality, which seems to have motivated them. The staff is feeling it too, and the members seem to have broken through...perhaps they are beginning to peak at just the right time. ?? Interesting week ahead...

Just back from a most interesting four days in Allentown. Besides the contests themselves, there was the annual Holy Bass reunion with about 40 former Cadet bass drummers and their instructors gathered for the BBQ and remembrances. Shout out to Andy Warntz and Chris Butler for their great work and hospitality.

Regarding Hopkins taking Cadets for the last three corps' performances on Saturday night, Crown also sat in the stand for the show on Sunday night after their early performance at TOC. From talking to members of each corps, there is tremendous respect and admiration for the 2013 version of each, the musicality, physical demand, and challenge. Seems Crown owes the Cadets a dinner to pay off the bet of whether Cadets would ever beat Crown this season. (This is really a continuation of their annual supperdate after the Wakefield parade each year on the Fourth of July; but with Crown in Cali this summer and no Wakefield parade at all, the supperdate turned into a bet.) Both corps set the crowd on fire on Sunday.

With the shared history of instructors and where they marched, it seems Cadets are called the grandfather, Star of Indiana the child, and Crown the grandchild. They all seem to be great adults on the same level in my book.

Sending good vibes to Cadetland -- I'm not seeing a 2nd place finish, but it CAN (and has for them over the years) happen -- at this point, just want them to have a strong showing and medal.