Bluecoats 2013

Just a guess on what's going on with the bleachers, but I think there's a "high school senior about to get drafted and go off to Vietnam" vibe. I could be crazy, but I'm sensing a tension like that of the anxiety of the draft, the volunteer vs. get drafted dynamic, the high school sweetheart who's scared out of her mind because her hotshot quarterback boyfriend is about to go to basic, etc.

That could be way off, but if that's what they're going for, they might try being a little bit more explicit about it. I'm probably not right, though. Divining what a show is attempting to communicate is really difficult, especially for concept shows.

• Like 1

What I appreciate about this year's Bluecoats show this year that it may be the same show each evening, but somehow feels different each time I see it. I first saw it at a movie theater but I saw it live at CYO Nationals in Quincy and got the somewhat dark feeling some have mentioned. I saw it again in Bristol just before July 4th and it had an innocent feeling to it. At Beanpot I kind of had a feeling of being reminded of optimism when so many tend to be somewhat pessimistic. I guess that's one of eth signs of a good show--keeping people guessing while having the same show have a different feel each time it is seen.

However, with all the great musical moments in the show, the thing that sticks in my head is recorded voice of the drill sergeant who yells "Atten-hut" and the corps yells back "bloo." I swear I've been hearing that over and over.

Really not sure how PR took a single caption last night in Chambersburg. Seems like a clear difference in the written product and the excellence of the performers. Short circuiting my brain to say this but I agree with Chaos -- there's no intensity in PRs production. It's just...pretty. They do pretty really well but...

I'm liking the Coats show more and more each time I see it.

Brass!

Depth of design!

In fact a great written book for all captions -- saw a LOT of vocab I had missed on earlier viewings.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

Can't wait to see what the Bluecoats have in store for this weekend in Minnisota!

• Like 1

I cannot get enough of the Steve Reich piece after the opener, that's what that section is right? It has an awesome underlying groove to the whole piece, certainly makes me think of the hustle and bustle of city life in America. One of my favorite individual sections of 2013. Very nice!

• Like 1

Perhaps by now, Coats visual folk will have layered the color guard personnel on and in front of the bleachers for the tosses of equipment. Those currently on the bleachers seem to be trying anxiously to balance themselves rather than focusing on the revolution of the equipment to avoid drops, etc. A simple two or three from the bleachers could be matched by a five from the floor/field....just saying. Layer, layer, layer...

Edited by drilltech1

This hornline is so smooth. Their sound just seems so effortless.

Bloo has several days off in a row before their next show 7/19. I don't know about you guys, but that makes me very excited to watch them in the webcast this weekend. thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Agreed. I can't wait to see the cleaning and potential for more changes they might make. Hopefully they can make a move on Phantom again at the next regional!

• Like 1

Love the bluecoats! Can't wait to audition for the 2014 season!!!!!

• Like 3