What was the best crowd response your corps got and where?

Dale--

Wow,I had no idea you were part of the '02 SCVAC gig; Dennis Bray (SCV soprano 84-85-87) nearly got me to do that one but my son was only 18 months old at the time, so I was pretty busy. I heard that 2002 was a rockin' good time. :smile:/>

Yes, it was and just another day with Santa Clara. Playing Clowns in that stadium was also an honor.

August 10th, 1986 Sioux City Iowa the Sunday night before finals the next weekend.

Spirit been neck and neck with Suncoast and Cavies most of the season. A tenth here, 3 tenths there. The night before, we lost to Suncoast and were only a tenth maybe ahead of Cavies? That Sunday night, for whatever reason we LIT THAT PLACE UP. Jeff Mitchell's GE Brass tape that night is legendary in the corps history. He was crying at the end of the show and so emotionally involved in what we did it was pretty amazing. We won the show by a little under a point over one of those two and over a point over the other one. For that one brief moment in time, that night we had the third highest score in the nation among the corps that would make up the top six one week later (at three different shows of course.) I have no memory of how we found that out, but I remember the buzz that set in amongst the members the next day when we found that out and they let us listen to Jeff's tape.

Sadly, we peaked that night and ended up sixth at Nats, but that night was simply amazing. The crowd, the corps and the judges knew they had seen something special and we all reveled in our part in that wonderful evening.

AA

• Like 1

We all had great performances and stinkers. There were good audiences and dead ones. What was your favorite all time audience and favorite all time crowd reaction?

I'll always remember the standing ovation my corps got in Roosevelt Stadium at 1966 VFW finals. Nothing like 30,000 people screaming under covered stands. I get chills to this day.

Boston VFW 1970 FL also 1999 and 2000 finals.

Marching and teaching 27th gave me a few opportunities to celebrate. Winning 1977 CYO Nationals - my age out year - was really special. Beating BD at DATR in 1976 was a highlight.

While teaching from 1980-1983, the entire 1980 season was magical starting with Lake Placid - Allentown was really intense.

Oh yea - I marched and taught the 27th Lancers Alumni corps in 1994. We did pretty well that night in Foxboro. Heck - any time we played Crown Imperial or Danny Boy it helped.

Edited by LancerLegend
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

In 1979 the Boston Crusader's did a half time show for the Toronto Argonauts Canadian football team. Their were 54,000 people in the stands. We were a very small Corp, I believe we had apx. 60 members, but despite having only 25 brass we could still produce a very big sound which would catch even the most experienced drum Corp crowds off guard. What caught me off guard from the start of our half time performance was that it seemed as if everyone remained in their seats, as if no one went to get the usual hot dog and beer. I don't know if it was Canadian politeness or they picked up early that we were somehow different. Huge ovation after our opener followed by the same after each of our songs by the time we reached Conquest the crowd was on their feet giving us the biggest ovation I could ever remember in my 5 years with Boston and that was when I noticed that the football team was on the sidelines. We must have been running late. You could see the team looking into the crowd and you could tell they were partly confused, amazed by the ovation and somewhat amused by our little band. It was probably our intensity that got them. You would have thought they would have been a little upset by our tardiness and the fact that we were getting an ovation that was at least competitive to what they were use to. I remember marching off the field with the teams cheerleaders along side us. It was as if they had decided to join us. Now when I say they marched off the field with us I don't mean in a token way I mean they marched off the field with us. It was as if they had abandoned the football team. During the course of that season we got many great ovations. So much of it had to do with respect and the "how does such a small brass line create such a big sound" reaction. We caught people by surprise. But I was the one caught by surprise during that half time performance. It was surreal in a way. You would expect it from a drum Corp crowd but not doing a half time show for a Canadian football team.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was the best response ever - many great responses with many corps on many nights - but Montreal CA in 1984 with Bayonne Bridgemen.

Epic crowd response. Just a great audience.

There have been others - Archie at the Dream in 1978, Bayonne in Birmingham, Hurricanes at Franklin Field... all incredible days or nights. And there have been more - Sun at beginning of '76, Crossmen '91 in North Carolina. So hard to rank.

For some reason that stands out. Great fans, great night, great corps, great kids - great time.

In 1983 we were rehearsing at a show site & Phantom drove up. Instructor called everyone into a huddle & told us we had a captive audience, were doing a runthrough, & he was going to be yelling at us, but to play along. That year, we had a fairly intense show; lots of hype moments / 'in your face' music. So, we had a spirited run-through, we were told after each number '%%$@ you had better be more intense than that %%$#!!' .

Afterword we heard several of the Phantom members say "looked pretty intense to me..."

• 3 weeks later...

1977 Bridgemen...Racine, Wisconsin...Kilties' Show

We were on fire that night behind the incredibly hot solos of the legendary Jim Brady! Pagliacci rocked the crowd and they went bonkers...it was a really amazing night. We made such a strong connection with the audience...I remember it like it was yesterday. :-)

• Like 1