Can't wait for Surf 2013!

I am so excited to see Surf later this summer, both on thefannetwork and live(unfortunately it will be in that order). I have been a huge fan of Surf since 2000 when they did the incredible Re-incarmination show. I had enjoyed their shows previously, but that was the first one that really made me stand up and take notice. Since then I have loved almost every single Surf show. I was excited when they moved up to World Class a few years ago. But I also have to admit, I didn't enjoy their first two years in World Class as much as I had previously enjoyed their shows. To me, something seemed a little different. It was almost like they were writing the shows differently, possibly to score higher on World Class sheets. But I have to say last year, they absolutely blew me away, and it seems they made that kind of impression on almost everyone else as well. It was so great to see crowds so excited over corps not placing in the top 12. I also think the buzz Surf created last not only helped out them for the future, but also probably helped get a few more people in earlier to see them, which probably also helped the attendance of the next few corps following them at prelims and semis.

I do have to say, when you have a show with that kind of excitement, and a crowd that loves it that much, I would overlook any small flaws like not being perfectly clean. I would personally much rather see a show like this, than a bland boring perfectly performed show that does make finals(not a comment about anyone making finals last year, just a general comment)

I sure hope Surf can continue to create shows like they did last year, and in many of their years past. Good luck in the upcoming season.

• Like 2

I am so excited to see Surf later this summer I have to say last year, they absolutely blew me away, and it seems they made that kind of impression on almost everyone else as well. It was so great to see crowds so excited which probably also helped the attendance

I asked a couple of friends of mine ( never marched but enjoy the shows ) if I should order them tickets again this year for a particular show. The first question both asked me right away was : is Jersey Surf coming back this year ? " When I said they were, they said to order them tickets. I have no idea what their response would have been if I had replied " no "to their question. So while anecdotal in nature, its probably an accurate assessment and observation that Jersey Surf does bring in some attendees to shows that might not otherwise attend. So thats a win-win situation for everyone and everything invloved, ie Jersey Surf, DCI attendance, overall increase in show variety offerings thus enhancing fan enjoyment at shows, etc it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

Hey as you can probably see from my user name I march trumpet with Surf and our head director read all of this stuff to us and it pretty much told us that we can be entertaining and clean and being clean is what we have to do to move up and it also did some things for me by showing me what we do at surf isn't perfect but can be much better and then that I have to work for this no ring is gonna come to me like that so once again thanks for all of the comments they were really helpful to me and the rest of the corps.

Reading that SINGLE sentence was like playing 32 bars on one breath! Hey Bob! Teach them to take a breath!

From my perspective, Bob and Surf excel in three ways: 1. They truly don't put placement ahead of the kids' experience because, with their model, they can't even while they recognize the benefits of "clean" and finishing higher, 2. They provide opportunities to march to kids who can't swing a full tour, for whatever reason, and 3. They do it in the face of incredible pressure to exit WC and play in a different sandbox, and against the perception that their model doesn't "fit" with the direction of today's drum corps.

In addition to the warm and gushy feelings I get while watching them, those things are what really amaze me about what Surf does, and they let me look beyond some of the dirt and clap louder and longer.

"Sheet Readers" ($1 to Jeff) can't deal with that in today's drum corps. Too bad.

• Like 1

One other thing: If you were going to do drum corps in the Jersey/PA area, who would you rather have your back? Bob The-Chris-Christie-of-Drum-Corps Jacobs, or Hop?

Q: What kind of drum corps does Bob Jacobs do?

A: Any kind he wants.

:tongue:/>

• Like 2