Can't wait for Surf 2013!

I really feel like entertainment has to be the function of show design and Surf has figured that out. I can't wait to watch them!

• Like 6

I just wish Surf can figure out how to be entertaining while also marching and playing clean. Imagine how many more fans they'd have performing Saturday night in Indy (and how much more influential their design style might be if they could have high success).

Interesting that you got negs. There's really nothing that you said that was truly negative. I LOVE Surf, and I agree that if they were cleaner, they would be in front of more folks. I am sure that Bob Jacobs and crew are working on that, and can. not. wait. to see their show multiple times this year!

• Like 3

Interesting that you got negs. There's really nothing that you said that was truly negative. I LOVE Surf, and I agree that if they were cleaner, they would be in front of more folks. I am sure that Bob Jacobs and crew are working on that, and can. not. wait. to see their show multiple times this year!

I'm with you guys. I love Surf. performance needs to grow, and it has ben slowly and surely. I think, and this is just me...that elements of last years design were too "retro" for the sheets. Well maybe not the sheets themselves, butthe sheet users. But there was dirt.

But...less dirt than 2011, which had less dirt than 2010.

This corps was born in 1991. Everything about them has been slow and steady.....and hey, it got them into semifinals last year. The tour schedule is a little more than it's ever been, and that extra time can't hurt. Design staff has been stabilizing,not so many in and out folks...and...even better...membership retention has been growing.

I rarely make a prediction, but I'll go there for Surf...if thisyears show generates last years buzz, you will again see Allentown the fullest it's been in YEARS when Surf goes on in the daylight in August

• Like 5

I'm with you guys. I love Surf. performance needs to grow, and it has ben slowly and surely. I think, and this is just me...that elements of last years design were too "retro" for the sheets. Well maybe not the sheets themselves, butthe sheet users. But there was dirt.

This corps was born in 1991. Everything about them has been slow and steady.....and hey, it got them into semifinals last year. The tour schedule is a little more than it's ever been, and that extra time can't hurt. Design staff has been stabilizing,not so many in and out folks...and...even better...membership retention has been growing.

I rarely make a prediction, but I'll go there for Surf...if thisyears show generates last years buzz, you will again see Allentown the fullest it's been in YEARS when Surf goes on in the daylight in August

I have feeling that once again Jersey Surf will be a big hit with Drum Corps fans. ' Hope so, anyway !

• Like 1

"Retro" is probably the nicest, most PC way of putting. I don't mean that in any mean or negative way, just the fact that there is only so far a corp can get with that sort of show design + that amount of dirt. The awesome thing IMO is that Surf not only seems to not be fully concerned with designing to sheets, but also...

This is a great point: they are getting better & better every year, and really that's the best anyone could ask of any organization. If they continue to improve across the board it will be very interesting to see how far they can go!!

• Like 2

Would anyone else,other than me, consider Surf the new Velvet Knights?

I don't know why anyone would want to consider one corps the "new" other corps. Jersey Surf has done a great job carving out their own niche in the activity: some would argue that they have a stronger identity than many other World Class corps in an activity were people argue groups have kind of homogenized.

That being said, if one really wants to apply "the new VK" to Jersey Surf, I think it's only fair that Jersey Surf needs to achieve as much as VK did: be clean enough to make Finals (side rant - I really dug VK when their designs started off being good drum corps and THEN they added jokes, verses the later years when VK seemed to build around lameish joke concepts at the expense of both good design & execution)

• Like 1

"Retro" is probably the nicest, most PC way of putting. I don't mean that in any mean or negative way, just the fact that there is only so far a corp can get with that sort of show design

" Retro Shows " have won DCI Titles before, so if Jersey Surf was ever able to clean a " Retro Show " to that level... wow... what a treat that would be to win over BOTH the fans and the judges.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Would anyone else,other than me, consider Surf the new Velvet Knights?

Just as VK wasn't the "new Bridgemen," but the "new VK," Surf is the "new Surf." They made the impact they made last year by being themselves.

• Like 7