Advice for an aspiring corps member?

I am primarily a saxophone player but it is my dream to march corps next summer. I have recently picked up mellophone and am doing decent so far. (or so I'd like to think...;)) I would really like to march Bluecoats next season. I know this is a lofty goal, but I am committed to at least trying my best. If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. Do you have any advice for someone like me? Anything would be helpful: audition tips, things you wish you'd known, even specific things on mellophone.

Thanks for the help!

I am primarily a saxophone player but it is my dream to march corps next summer. I have recently picked up mellophone and am doing decent so far. (or so I'd like to think...;)) I would really like to march Bluecoats next season. I know this is a lofty goal, but I am committed to at least trying my best. If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. Do you have any advice for someone like me? Anything would be helpful: audition tips, things you wish you'd known, even specific things on mellophone.

Thanks for the help!

Get in the absolute best physical shape you can.

Practice daily.

If you are teaching yourself to play, find someone knowledgeable (on mellophone in your case) and have them make sure you are using good technique.

If you don't make Bluecoats, try somewhere else, either Open Class or one of the lower-ranked World Class corps.

Snag a spot in a corps this summer if you can. There are probably some openings in some of the Open Class horn lines and World Class corps like Pioneer too. Check out the other forums and ask around. I don't know where you're located geographically, but marching DCA this summer wouldn't be a bad idea either. Any experience you can get marching on mello between now and the next round of audition camps will be invaluable. Find a good teacher and take some lessons if you're not already. IMO... a trumpeter would be better than a horn player. Most real horn players hate the mellophone and there are more similarities between mello and trumpet than mello and horn anyway; most composers write for mello as if it's an alto trumpet anyway. Develop a consistent practice routine that covers all aspects of playing if you don't have one already; do it every day too. (Remember, you'll be competing with college music majors next winter.) Arban's is fantastic and it's a book you'll be able to use for the rest of your life. You'll get your money's worth for sure. I have specific page numbers and exercises if you're interested in that. Etudes and simple songs are great too since you're just getting started. Play everything can get your hands on! Transposing is a useful skill too. You never know when it will come in handy. Maybe see if you can get your hands on some corps audition packets just to get a better idea of what they're looking for at that level and the type of abilities you need to develop. Also, work out if you're not in great shape already. Strengthen that core and run. You'll be glad you did. And if you are in great shape... keep improving. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help!

What SaxmanSilver said, especially about snagging a spot somewhere this summer.

If you try out for top 6 with a summer or two under your belt, your chances are much more favorable. Auditions are less of a mystery with experience. You know what the staff is looking for; you don't need to wait for their feedback.

If your money situation is ok, compile a list of nearby/recommended corps and send emails out to their administrations. Ask if there's any openings. I guarantee, you'll find plenty throughout Open Class and especially World Class. Even some finalist groups have openings this time of year.

I wish I could march somewhere this summer but I can't afford to lose an entire summer of practice on saxophone right before college auditions...Thanks for the advice though! I'm going to try to find somewhere to get at least a little experience marching mello. :)

Bluecoats? Hey hopefully we run into eachother at auditions!

I wish I could march somewhere this summer but I can't afford to lose an entire summer of practice on saxophone right before college auditions...Thanks for the advice though! I'm going to try to find somewhere to get at least a little experience marching mello. :)

To get some expirience this year, check and see if any DCA corps are in your area. Good way to get experience as rehearsals are weekends, leaving you plenty of time to prep for college auditions, summer job, etc!

• Like 4

I agree with SopMartin.....march DCA corps, get some experience. The time commitment is minimal compared to DCI and you will learn alot from the veterans of both DCA and DCI. Great educational experience!

To get some expirience this year, check and see if any DCA corps are in your area. Good way to get experience as rehearsals are weekends, leaving you plenty of time to prep for college auditions, summer job, etc!

Thought the same thing but no idea where the OP is from. Did the same thing when in HS and college and it was a help to have a life outside of DC for certain days of the week in the summer.

Right on. If your summer plans keep you from marching anywhere, I would still follow Saxman's advice. I know plenty of people with 0 drum corps experience who made it into their dream corps after one audition. Two of them had never marched in a field show before and ended up respectively winning championships with Blue Devils and Cavaliers. Experience definitely makes it easier to audition, but it's not essential. You just need to come prepared.

In my opinion, it boils down to two criteria: 1) Does the candidate put out a good sound? 2) Can the person handle the physical demands?

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar