Two DM's needed by Cadets.

At least that's what is posted in yesterdays DCI "corps announcements". Maybe on field conductors are not considered DM's. The reason for this post is that I find that odd this close to their first show.

Edited by Ghost

At least that's what is posted in yesterdays DCI "corps announcements". Maybe on field conductors are not considered DM's. The reason for this post is that I find that odd this close to their first show.

You just need to follow the link to see the explanation:

(from yea.org )

Why did we wait until now?

Well, this season the waiting was purposeful. There were a few members in alternate positions, and we wanted to leave options open to those who had already made a commitment to the organization.

But in recent weeks, all corps positions have been filled, and we are left with two open field conductor positions.

What are the positions?

The two field conductors selected will work directly with Drum Major Zack Travis and, at an arm's length, the brass and percussion supervisors.

Duties will include:

• Conducting back-field and side-field portions of the show, as required
  • Managing the Dr. Beat during rehearsals
  • Support activities as required, including moving in and out of gyms and other administrative tasks left to the section leaders

What are the qualifications?

• Conducting experience at the high-school or college level
  • Excellent physical shape
  • Ability to take direction well and execute tasks quickly
  • Ability to lead through service
  • Fiscal ability to pay the cost of membership, discounted slightly due to timing: $2,400

I woudn't take that assignment for all the tea in China. A rookie DM with only God knows how many vets would be about as welcomed as a wet dog at a royal wedding. Why do you think that some corps select their DM's only from the existing membership? JMO.

• Like 2

I woudn't take that assignment for all the tea in China. A rookie DM with only God knows how many vets would be about as welcomed as a wet dog at a royal wedding. Why do you think that some corps select their DM's only from the existing membership? JMO.

to be fair, they aren't going to be "drum majors"... it sounds like they are going to be waving their arms for the parts of rehearsal that are required and spend the rest of the time running the dr. beat and help do the last checks of the housing sites before the corps leaves.

to be fair, they aren't going to be "drum majors"... it sounds like they are going to be waving their arms for the parts of rehearsal that are required and spend the rest of the time running the dr. beat and help do the last checks of the housing sites before the corps leaves.

So, basically drum majors. :)

(But yeah, it looks to be a low-level administrative gig that might be useful on someone's resume. I think the idea is that these guys won't have any sort of authority or leadership responsibilities.)

Rookie drum majors aren't a big deal at all. I know plenty of "veteran" drum majors who were god awful... in fact know of some rookie asst. dm's who were respected quite a bit more than the head DM. All it takes is not being an ### hole and learning how to gain respect. Well.. actually you can be an ########. I am an ########, and any leadership position I have ever been in, I've had the respect of my peeps. (Or at least I thought I did ph34r.giftongue.gif)

• Like 3

Rookie drum majors aren't a big deal at all. I know plenty of "veteran" drum majors who were god awful... in fact know of some rookie asst. dm's who were respected quite a bit more than the head DM. All it takes is not being an ### hole and learning how to gain respect. Well.. actually you can be an ########. I am an ########, and any leadership position I have ever been in, I've had the respect of my peeps. (Or at least I thought I did ph34r.giftongue.gif)

That's true.

• Like 1

As somebody that has seen it up close and recent...

Nothing gets the respect of the rest of the drum corps quicker than a DM that can handle rehearsal etiquette, controls all the tempos, knows their score, and isn't getting called out by the staff for stupid stuff. That and a genuinely nice person off the podium that busts their hump for the members and the admin team.... And NOBODY cares how long they've been with the corps!

Trust me on this one. = )

Edited by njthundrrd