Which corps should do the Divine Comedy as a theme?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which corps should do the Divine Comedy as a theme?

• Phantom Regiment
    • Cadets
    • Carolina Crown
    • Cavaliers
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Bluecoats
    • Blue Stars
    • Blue Devils
    • Blue Knights
    • Madison Scouts
    • Colts
    • Academy

I'm sure Corpsreps would give you good answers as to who has played the show over the years.

• Like 1

Could you clarify whether you mean Robert W. Smith's composition in particular, or any works based on Dante's poem?

Could you clarify whether you mean Robert W. Smith's composition in particular, or any works based on Dante's poem?

Smiths' compositions of the Divine Comedy, he's the only composer I can think of that his written music based on Dantes' poem. There are four movements: The inferno, Purgatorio, Ascension, and Paradiso.

I'm sure Corpsreps would give you good answers as to who has played the show over the years.

Yea I have corpsreps as a favorite on my browser and there are a few corps that has done it, but there are no videos or recordings of the corps that have, well professional recordings, not hand held camcorders. There are clips available on youtube but no full performances. I really like the blue stars but haven't tracked down their 1997 performance yet.Since they have done it, its seems the corps in DCI have evolved and at least in my opinion, the corps get better every year. I've noticed that as I am growing older I seem to appreciate and better understand what I watch and listen to in DCI.It's been a few since I've heard the Divine Comedy and am curious to see what I could get from it now.

Makes sense. 2007 Vanguard Cadets are up on Fan Network, that might be the only video professionally done unless you can hunt down old Div.2/3 DVDs

Smith's compositions of the Divine Comedy; he's the only composer I can think of that his written music based on Dante's poem. There are four movements: The Inferno, Purgatorio, Ascension, and Paradiso.

Some fellow named Franz Liszt wrote both a sonata and a symphony based on the Commedia. Here's a description of the sonata; here's a description of the symphony. Listen to a performance of the sonata

(pt. 1) and
(pt. 2). You can hear a performance of the symphony here (playlist in six parts), or if you prefer, in a two-piano reduction
(playlist in seven parts), staged with projections derived from Dore's famous illustrations and with readings from Dante's text.

Question: all three books of Dante's poem end with the same word; without looking it up, can you guess what it is? (Feel free to answer in English or Italian.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

I'm not sure if I'd like to see any corps program the Divine Comedy after being subjected to so many hilariously cheesy marching band shows using the same theme/music back in the 90s. Certainly not with the R.W. Smith music . . . much as I love his arrangements and original compositions for corps, I'd rather not hear his concert hall stuff on the field. Tchaikovsky's Francesca da Rimini and Liszt's Dante symphony could work well for Phantom, though thematically such a show would be too much like Faust.