Does DCA pad there scores

Hey Jeff where the doves your idea? Walter Kelly was trying his best to shoot them with blanks.LOL

• Like 1

we actually did have a show where 27th lancers and boston competed with us. it was 1970 i think . i don't remember where it was but 27th won and hurcs took second beating boston. and then cabs , sky and cru rounded out the show. it was fun. but it was a rain out show so i don't know how accurate it was. maybe ray preister or or andy lisko remembers.

So ... I went back to my DCN's from 1970 and found the article written by Shirley Kancyr, the DCN scribe covering DCA shows ... the show was in Boston ... it was delayed from Sat to Sun due to rain ... two of the Sr corps could not make the Sunday show so the contest coordinator ran a "show whithin a show" and invited the Boston Crusaders and 27th Lancers to go head-to-head in a Jr. showdown ... the same judges and same sheets were used so Shirley did a "what if" write-up and merged the Jr. and Sr. scores ... in reality, 27th won the Jr. portion and the Hurcs won the Sr. portion ... when she wrote her article, Shirley merged the scores which had 27th 3 tenths above the Hurcs with Boston in 3rd and Sky in 4th ... but she noted at the end of the article that the Jrs did not compete against the Srs. ... it was a confusing article to say the least ... but in the end, it was simply a Jr/Sr show with two winners, which is exactly the way I remember it ...

:-)

So ... I went back to my DCN's from 1970 and found the article written by Shirley Kancyr, the DCN scribe covering DCA shows ... the show was in Boston ... it was delayed from Sat to Sun due to rain ... two of the Sr corps could not make the Sunday show so the contest coordinator ran a "show whithin a show" and invited the Boston Crusaders and 27th Lancers to go head-to-head in a Jr. showdown ... the same judges and same sheets were used so Shirley did a "what if" write-up and merged the Jr. and Sr. scores ... in reality, 27th won the Jr. portion and the Hurcs won the Sr. portion ... when she wrote her article, Shirley merged the scores which had 27th 3 tenths above the Hurcs with Boston in 3rd and Sky in 4th ... but she noted at the end of the article that the Jrs did not compete against the Srs. ... it was a confusing article to say the least ... but in the end, it was simply a Jr/Sr show with two winners, which is exactly the way I remember it ...

thanks andy. i knew you could clear up my mind. i competed at that show but just couldn't get the cobwebs out.

Hey Jeff where the doves your idea? Walter Kelly was trying his best to shoot them with blanks.LOL

no, I was 10 at the time and thought it was stupid

DCA pads their scores

DCA pads their scores

and you know this how???

thanks andy. i knew you could clear up my mind. i competed at that show but just couldn't get the cobwebs out.

Yup. The show got rained-out Saturday night, so the corps that stayed over got to do this Jr/Sr. show on Sunday. Hotter than H*ll, made the beer taste better. Good time was had by all.

BTW, I'm not going to name names, but somebody on here who says he doesn't know KS, sure knows his van. You know the one he helped tip over after Roch beat us at the '75 States.

DCA pads their scores

Pads 'n pencils from what I remember ... now they use these electronic digital thingies to record their comments ... not sure if they still use the pad 'n pencil to write down their score ... maybe Glen could explain the process and gadgets they use now ... quite interesting to see the technology in use at the Secaucus show last year ...

ummmm.....errrr.... look at last weeks scores and add some tenths. Those at the top getting more than the ones at the bottom. I can do that in my head.....sorry had to do it..... :huh:

Don,

The sheets tell the judges what numbers fall into a frame (box) using definitive criteria and descriptors to base the number on. The numbers in the boxes that DCA utilizes are close to the numbers in a whole box lower with similar criteria in DCI World Class.

So...you do the math. I have heard that it will translate to around 12 points higher with a full panel. That number is not fact, but I would think it sounds about right. Does that mean they PAD the scores? No...It means they are judged on a different set of numbers to get the final score.

This system is also used in many band circuits to keep lower class bands happy with their scores. US Bands has a very definitive way of doing it. Class A bands can score as high as open bands and everyone goes home happy. Box 4 on Open bands is "virtually" the same criteria as Box 5 in Class A. The criteria that determines box 5 in Open class is not used in class A.

DCI has also used this model to judge the Open Class. Therefore, Blues Devils and Blue Devils B COULD end up with the SAME score on DIFFERENT sheets.

So...DCA and DCI do not use the same sheets...therefore the scores do not translate.

DA

• Like 2