Cavies Struggles

---edit: wrong thread!---

Edited by TeamQuavers

Just home from the theater show.

Was really prepared for an awful show.

It was dirty. And I get that Cavies usually come out a lot cleaner.

But the design is not awful. They're not dropping out of finals. I could see them moving up from last season.

Guard was strong.

Same here. Liked the design, but super dirty drill.

Not to seem rude, but I didn't know finals were tomorrow :tongue:/>

I think we just need to let things gel a little more and let them clean/add more things to the show as the season goes on.

Plus if you enjoy the show does it matter where they place? I don't think so, I was not able to see a live show last season, so I am very excited to see a live show!

I am still a proud Cavies fan! :thumbup:/>

Very cool:) I still have some red raider gear when you're ready to come away from the dark side:) haha

Saw it at the theater last night. Very sloppy and needs some significant tweaks, but overall this is a much better vehicle than the members were given last season. Assuming they clean it up and perform well, I don't see Spirit passing them up. Scouts might (their show seems much more demanding than the past few years, should give a little more room for improvement later in the season) and Boston may stay above them. I think top six is a lock though for BD, CC, PR, Cadets, SCV, and Bloo. So my guess is probably 8th or 9th, definitely in the 7 to 10 range.

I haven't yet heard mention the difficulties this year's Cavaliers had with their Spring Training due to the weather cancelling many of the outdoor rehearsals due to extreme rain, tornado warnings, and the like. It showed at the Family BBQ which was also deluged and moved indoors.

Add in the staff still being in major transition to replicate the success of those they succeeded, the major turn over in corps membership due to the large number of last year's age-outs, and the time needed to learn some show philosophical concepts, etc., they start the season with some handicaps.

That said, the program suffers even if weather had been perfect. There is no way one gets military like precision and spark draped as hooded monks. They wear the habits far too long into the show for the effect to be made fully. I found the source material for this opening. Eric Kitchener (now of Boston's staff) did the same thing decades ago with North Penn High School's Marching Knights Band of Lansdale, PA when they did the Symphonie Fantastique show. But after the opener, the hooded habits were dropped and the sleek, bright, clean look appeared.

And it would have been better for the Cavies to have dropped the black panel on the back of the green jacket so as to brighten the second look of the corps. Heaven help them if Cavies ever have to perform immediately after Boston Crusaders in a show. The judges will have to be put on Paxil or whatever...let alone the audience. Perhaps we'll have to put Cadets, Crown, or SCV in between...and I am not referring to Indy's week.

Kudos to their picolo trumpet soloist. He's a memorable moment in a show that seems to go on and on.

I'm pretty sure he was the guard designer or caption head during the years mentioned, then started writing drill in 1998.

I believe Michael wrote the drill in either 1993 or 1994. Mitch did one of those years and Michael the other.

Well, you admitted that you had not read to a certain point. Had you it would be clear that nobody to my knowledge is picking on the Cavaliers, making fun of them, calling them names or belittling their staff; and no one is saying that their happy the Cavaliers are struggling. We're only talking about the competitive aspect. Nothing more.

The Cavaliers are a fine organization (like all the others), and the kids and staff are hopefully having a wonderful experience. I'm sure they did last year as well.

I think everyone here wishes them well. I do, but it doesn't mean I can't comment on the show. That's what this forum is for.

I agree with you. It has nothing to do with nitpicking. I have been a Cavalier fan for 25 years. I still am and have alot of respect for the organization and what they have brought (and will continue) to DCI over the last 40 years or so. I can honestly say I want them to do well. I know they have the staff to make changes/teach as necessary to continue to provide their membership with a good experience-win or lose.

Well, you admitted that you had not read to a certain point. Had you it would be clear that nobody to my knowledge is picking on the Cavaliers, making fun of them, calling them names or belittling their staff; and no one is saying that their happy the Cavaliers are struggling. We're only talking about the competitive aspect. Nothing more.

The Cavaliers are a fine organization (like all the others), and the kids and staff are hopefully having a wonderful experience. I'm sure they did last year as well.

I think everyone here wishes them well. I do, but it doesn't mean I can't comment on the show. That's what this forum is for.

I agree with you. It has nothing to do with nitpicking. I have been a Cavalier fan for 25 years. I still am and have alot of respect for the organization and what they have brought (and will continue) to DCI over the last 40 years or so. I can honestly say I want them to do well. I know they have the staff to make changes/teach as necessary to continue to provide their membership with a good experience-win or lose.

I thought that the robes made them look like blobs on the field from high camera. I was expecting a much more robust brass sound, as the MMs have had music since February from what I understand.

Design though? I liked it a lot. I didn't like the whispery "Secret Society" thing though. That was a little off-putting. I wish they would stick to a unified "mood", like 2010. Mad World never got happy, and there are a couple minutes of the show that it just seems too happy to be mysterious. It'll be okay, though.

I don't think Gaines wrote for them before 1998. Wouldn't be surprised if he consulted, especially after Brubaker's death. But I know 1995-1997 was done by some guy with a very Polish-sounding last name (that I'm too lazy to look up).

Who did Gaines write for before the Cavies then? In another thread, someone mentioned that he had been writing for drum corps for 25 years or so.