Cavies Struggles

Takeaway from this years show: I see some "sizzle", but less in the way of "steak".

Perhaps I just don't get what the Cavaliers have been going for the past two years; that's well within the realm of possibility, so maybe it's just me.

It was much more pronounced in "15 Minutes" . . .and it seems less so this year, thankfully: the riff on the corps masculinity and bravado seems, well, forced.

That's the best way I can describe it, I guess . . .that the design team is mining the corps image to the point where it wears thin conceptually.

Not to the point of parody by any means . . . hell, that that kind of forced "coolness" is good in small doses (Cadets 2000) but I get the feeling I'm asked to buy into that "look at us!" for an entire show lately with the Cavaliers and unless you have the technical guns and show design to hold the audience there, it becomes somewhat underwhelming.

That said, there were several things to like: the piccolo work and the "Star Trek" piece is very nice.

Anyway, just my two bits. :smile:

I saw the show last night and I actually like it a lot. Give them a few weeks and it will be a great show.

it seems, even going back to the Machine, the shows rely more and more on gimmicks, and as such, the basics get lost in the shuffle. Luckily in several of those years, theycould still marchand play their ##### off, and gimmicks aside, there was enough beef to get where they ended up.

last year, and what I have seen this year seems even more reliant on gimmicks...and with the vocal stuff, the shows seem more suited for WGI percussion than a drum corps field.

• Like 1

I have a feeling the robes are going to cause them problems in the visual department. There is a good reason we don't see corps with capes anymore. It creates way too much visual dirt, and I saw that same problem with Cavaliers. Every time they stopped moving or hit a form, the robes kept billowing around and made everything look cloudy and messy. I think they would be scoring better if they just marched without them.

... except BD can wear half skirts and win visually... Let's let them explore what is possible with the robes. It's pretty different. It's a good show and they have nowhere to go but up when they clean and add...

• Like 1

Takeaway from this years show: I see some "sizzle", but less in the way of "steak".

Perhaps I just don't get what the Cavaliers have been going for the past two years; that's well within the realm of possibility, so maybe it's just me.

It was much more pronounced in "15 Minutes" . . .and it seems less so this year, thankfully: the riff on the corps masculinity and bravado seems, well, forced.

That's the best way I can describe it, I guess . . .that the design team is mining the corps image to the point where it wears thin conceptually.

Not to the point of parody by any means . . . hell, that that kind of forced "coolness" is good in small doses (Cadets 2000) but I get the feeling I'm asked to buy into that "look at us!" for an entire show lately with the Cavaliers and unless you have the technical guns and show design to hold the audience there, it becomes somewhat underwhelming.

That said, there were several things to like: the piccolo work and the "Star Trek" piece is very nice.

Anyway, just my two bits. :smile:/>

Ahhh Cavies. I don't know what else to say. Watching this years corps, it's hard to believe this is the same corps that dominated the 2000s. This is the same corps I've looked forward to seeing year after year. This is the same corps who's show "Machine" is my all time favorite Cavies show. I feel like I am watching someone who used to be a beast in the gym but now that same person has gained weight and become sedentary. I don't mean for this to sound negative at all. I am just a little saddened by what I saw on FN. I really hope they get better this year, but there are a lot of things they need to improve upon. Time will tell I guess.

... except BD can wear half skirts and win visually... Let's let them explore what is possible with the robes. It's pretty different. It's a good show and they have nowhere to go but up when they clean and add...

That was mentioned somewhere else, and I think it's because BD's drop-sash is more isolated. The full robe though is very billowy, and flops around from head to toe. With BD, you can still see the technique. With Cavies, you couldn't really see any technique until they took the robes off. After that, they looked much better on the field, much less muddy

Anyway, just my two bits. :smile:/>

I had said in the very beginning of the season that I hoped the Cavaliers wouldn't' come out with a show that said "Hey guys! Look we're stil the Cavies! Last year was just a fluke! See we're just like we were in the 2000's! Look at how 'Cavaliers' we are!" That is: forcing their image and persona in order to convince the fans and judges they still have "it".

We'll see if that's the case but I don't want Cavies to feel they need to prove anything with their design. They appear to be struggling to be themselves recently and they should stop trying so hard and simply put on a great entertaining show designed not to replicate the past Cavies but just be the Cavies they are. (If that makes sense).

I am a diehard Cavaliers fan, but something has been missing ever since 2007 or so...

2010 seemed to almost verify the major staff changes that went on between 2007-2009, but you have to wonder if it really was? The Cavies of the 2000's were such a force, it's a shame to see them struggling as much as they have these last few years